I want a guitar that's NOT an all-out metal machine for a change. Ideas?

• Thread starter Mattayus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm on the look out for a new 6 (I know, I said I'm comfortable with just my 7s but I'm GASing).

But the thing is - In all the 10 years I've been playing, I've only ever had metal machines - i.e. shreddable necks, hot pickups, floyd rose bridges, super-strat shape - This goes for all 6s and 7s I've had.

For once, I'd like something that's a bit more versatile, a bit more laid back and classic looking, but could still pull off some metal and shred.

I've got my eye on something along the lines of the Ibanez SA series. It has that sleek classic look, but could still be used for shred and metal if need be.

This guitar will mainly be used for teaching purposes (I prefer to teach on a 6, makes it so much less complicated!) and for my side-project which is a lot more Alice In Chains-like than my full on prog metal madness.

So, suggestions?

But first, some criteria

- I'd prefer it to not have a floyd. As much as i use them and love them, it's just unnecessary for this guitar's job and would only get in the way.

- Aesthetically, I'd prefer something a little different from the superstrat, pointy deal. I'm not adverse to the strat shape in general, just the "super" strat shape (i.e pointy horns).

- a Tele of some description would be lovely!

- No SG's

- At least one humbucker. I don't want exclusively single coils, but I would love a single coil neck. Actually, ignore this - There's always stacked humbuckers! (which i love)

- I love natural finishes. Or nice tops like flamed/quilted maple etc. This isn't a massively important feature, but something to keep in mind!

- Number of frets isn't important for a change.

- NO tune-o-matic bridges!! (HATE THEM!). Preferably something like a Wilkinson, or a plain fixed bridge, or strat bridge.

- Try to keep the price under £350 (it's a lot to ask, i know, but i'm on a budget)

Ok, so, FEED MY GAS!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
How do you feel about hollow-bodies? PRS Guitars - SE Custom Semi-Hollow

main1.jpg

Or for a tele-type thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Hybrid-II-E...4553QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsupported

e744_12.JPG

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
If you didn't hate tune-o-matics, I'd suggest something like my Epiphone Sheraton. Right price range, anyway. I started playing in a (not at all metal) band, and wanted something that would be versatile but more suited to their sound than what I already owned. Plus, I just kinda always wanted A) a semi-hollow, B) one that looked all big and BB King-ish. ;)

Semi-hollow is a great option to consider. It opens up tonal possibilities you probably didn't already have on your shredder axes when used in metal context, but also sounds amazing (and likely better suited) for other sonic styles.

The sustain on mine is absolutely RIDICULOUS, and that's completely stock. I have neck through/string through shred machine guitars, and they don't sustain for even half as long as the Epiphone does. It's really rather absurd. :yesway:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
+1 for a semi-hollow guitar

I have an Epiphone Dot ES335, and it's absolutely wonderful. OK, so the stock pickups are absolute shit, but in time, teh Bare Knuckles will emerge... :). It's got a lovely, woody, resonant tone that's got so much depth. While cleans are where it's most at home, it'll also give you an excellent hard rock tone, if you dial in the tone correctly. it's well worth a shot :yesway:.

thedonutman

Reaction score
How about a Telecaster HH FMT?

FTCFMT-AMB_front.jpg

Only a tiny bit over budget though (~400)

I think it meets almost all of your requirements.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a 81 usa made peavey patriot i have had since i was 12. love it.

currently undergoing a faselift

DSCN2243.jpg

DSCN6211.jpg

DSCN6212.jpg

DSCN6213.jpg

DSCN6214.jpg

DSCN6215.jpg

DSCN6216.jpg

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Psssstttt....

PRS SE. Single-cut, preferably. :agreed:

If the trem. is an issue, you can get a Paul Allender SE and upgrade the bridge.

A little costlier than what you were planning, but it'll get the job done well. The other option is to seek out the equivalent from Rondo.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Woah shit that was quick :lol: Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep'em comin! I fuckin LOVE the look of that tele HH FMT, beautiful! Shame it's too expensive though, but hopefully i could grab a second hand one or something.

jymellis - why are you showing me this dude? are you trying to make my life harder than it is or are you going to sell it to me for a stupidly low price?!? :lol:

Randy - Yeah man, rondo is definitely an option :yesway: been having a look through today already

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Woah shit that was quick :lol: Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep'em comin! I fuckin LOVE the look of that tele HH FMT, beautiful! Shame it's too expensive though, but hopefully i could grab a second hand one or something.

jymellis - why are you showing me this dude? are you trying to make my life harder than it is or are you going to sell it to me for a stupidly low price?!? :lol:

Randy - Yeah man, rondo is definitely an option :yesway: been having a look through today already

they are dirt cheap on the evil bay. $200.00 cheap:hbang:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Patriot-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

chrismgtis

Reaction score
Dude's quit recommending humbuckers. He said not a metal machine. How about something with single coil or a hollow body like someone else suggested.

I had a G&L Legacy at one time. It was a pretty nice guitar. I would recommend a hollowbody PRS, but you know, you could almost buy a car for the price.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
"Dude's quite recommending humbuckers. He said not a metal machine."

All humbucker equipped, non (semi) hollow guitars are "metal machines" are they? NO. FAIL.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
PRS SE Singlecut Trem
main1.jpg

Ibanez FR1620
FR1620BK.gif

These are discontinued, but how about an Ibanez Artcore AWD83T?
product_image.php

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
my fav for non-metal is the ibanez SA's, which can do anything you want really. amazingly priced too

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I do like the look of the artcore series - very nice!

What are the tonal benefits/differences of having a semi-hollow body?

The Agile PRS clone is really taking my fancy. What's the play like on those suckers?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Go try out a semi-hollow and you'll see what the benefits are. It gets you that warm, woody semi-acoustic jazzy tone.

I really like the PRS SE Singlecut Trem... a really nice blend of traditional and modern, with a great feel, and excellent quality for the money.

')