I want to play my tube amp at low volume - help!

• Thread starter Gemmeadia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p4vl

Reaction score
Attenuators don't yield a tight, punchy metal tone and people should definitely not recommend them in combination with 6505's (which are for tight metal). They might give you a bit more gain but usually the tone they create is 'messy'.

If you're unhappy with bedroom tone, look at new speakers (v30's suck at low volume), new boost, new pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dillen

Reaction score
I would strong suggest the torpedo live/cab. It enades you to crack the amp with out disturbing the neighbours.

Ænima

Reaction score
i would seriously recommend the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3, it has wattage control and its a badass solid state amp, i have a 5150 and im getting one just for the acoustic sims and because reasons.

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
As someone that has a preamp heavy tone (Mini Mark V), but has a rockcrusher:

Buy a rockcrusher. Best investment in any guitar related gear I've ever made.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
You will never under any circumstances get a real "beefy" sound at low volume, if we talk about a live sound. At least not what I consider "beefy".

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
^ we all hear things differently and have different ideas of "beefy" tone, but my Triple Rec and JCM 800 sound monstrous to me at TV level volumes played into my 4x12 (early '80s Marshall can with G12-65 speakers).

I've had good results with a few VH4s and a Solando SLO at very low volumes too. IME the trick is a nice 4x12.

SSK0909

Reaction score
^ we all hear things differently and have different ideas of "beefy" tone, but my Triple Rec and JCM 800 sound monstrous to me at TV level volumes played into my 4x12 (early '80s Marshall can with G12-65 speakers).

I've had good results with a few VH4s and a Solando SLO at very low volumes too. IME the trick is a nice 4x12.

Strange, as a former owner of all those amps. I've never, even with two nice 4x12's had a "beefy" sound from a JCM800 or SLO at bedroom volume.
Those amps are clearly designed for an era before most clubs and small stages got acceptable pa's and you had to rely only on the volume of your cabinet.

The 1-3 on the volume knob could just as easily have been labeled Seriously dont bother, Dont bother and getting there :D

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
^ The SLO especially has a rep of sounding horrible at low volumes, but that just wasn't my experience. You had to EQ it strangely, in particular watching the mid knob (was more of a second treble knob IME), but it sounded awesome at any volume IMHO.

The Recto sounds killer at low volumes IMHO, but the loop must be bypassed. For some reason, it sounds like a fizzy mess to me at low volume unless the loop is hard bypassed. Once that's done, it sounds great, to me at least.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Strange, as a former owner of all those amps. I've never, even with two nice 4x12's had a "beefy" sound from a JCM800 or SLO at bedroom volume.
Those amps are clearly designed for an era before most clubs and small stages got acceptable pa's and you had to rely only on the volume of your cabinet.

The 1-3 on the volume knob could just as easily have been labeled Seriously dont bother, Dont bother and getting there :D

Every Marshall without diodes acts the same way.

Gemmeadia

Reaction score
XAw9sQF.jpg

Im going to upgrade the speaker to a Celestion V30 before getting any pedals. I'll let you guys know what happens!

Latest posts

')