I want to shred

• Thread starter Frost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Learning a song above your level will help if you learn it right and don't rush it. You want to have fun and enjoy what you can already do, probably, so learn songs at your level, play songs you already know, have fun, express yourself!

This is very true. I think we've all been there. Learning a song you're sure you can't play with the skills you have is a recipe for frustration, and you don't want to put yourself in a position where it becomes more like work than fun to pick up your guitar, because you'll slowly start to walk past it more and more.

Find a bunch of songs within your skill level, some that are a little challenging but totally playable for you, and some that are easy but fun, and try to perfect one or two a month. If you want to shred, it really doesn't happen overnight, or in a week, or a month, and very possibly within a year. Set realistic goals and try to accomplish them while having fun. You'll get there before you know it.

Frost

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing it wrong :ugh:

Maybe I shouldn't make so much technical exercises
I think of learning again correctly Metallica/Megadeth/Pantera songs (and maybe 1 or 2 technical exercises after), doing some scales/arpeggios exercises and improvise over backtrack?

What do you think? It makes more sense? I think my problem is that i'm stuck into a routine, and I don't play enough song...

So here it is:
-Warm up/stretching: chromatic exercises, two hand synchronisation exercises, stretching
- Learn song that I think I can play by ear, and that I like.
-Technical Exercises corresponding at difficulties that I met during the song that I learn previously
-Scales/arpeggios and Improvisation
-Jam over song that I already know, composition,...

What do you think?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'd add in working thoughtfully on creating some lines to play over a chord sequence, such as that which you'll be improvising over, so you're expanding your vocabulary, not just improvising with what your hands and ears already know.

')