I was never a Gibson fan but...

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the most beautiful axe out there imo.
I even like the recent ones. Not as good but they're still gorgeous.

I've seen one at Steve's music and i almost fainted.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Jesus the first one isn't even silver anymore, not even close, and its over $4k!

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Jesus the first one isn't even silver anymore, not even close, and its over $4k!

that's when they look prettiest IMO... when they're more "ghost-like"...

The originals from 79' to 81' (I think?) are the most sought after and most valuable...I'd trade any piece of my gear in a heartbeat for one

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I was always a Gibson fan, but I never really liked the silverburst that much. I don't know why... but I just don't care for the color... One Gibson Les Paul that I really like is the alpine white with gold hardware.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

Hehe yeah that's why they're worth more too. There was something they used to put in the paint that would fade the silver in the finish to a weird greenish-goldish color that is just amazing. If there was one LP out there I'd like to own, this is it. :agreed: Ever since I saw Adam Jones with one way back I was like, "WOW!!! :eek: :yum:" Yep, schmexy! :wub:

EDIT: That first one is #510.... it was meant to be mine! If only I could afford that price tag! :( :lol:

FortePenance

Reaction score
I was always a Gibson fan, but I never really liked the silverburst that much. I don't know why... but I just don't care for the color... One Gibson Les Paul that I really like is the alpine white with gold hardware.

:agreed:

EMGs on a white guitar are cool looking too. I can't say I like those Silverburst ones, they remind me of a Ibanez Gio my friend once made me fix up (didn't dig it).

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd damn near kill for a Silverburst. It's the only Gibson that I'm that obsessed with.

Or maybe this:
mastodon_5135.jpg

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The market for '70s Les Pauls is stupid right now--it's a classic "bubble" that is going to burst. There is nothing rare at all about them, since Gibson was pumping those things out like crazy all through the '70s. The real stupidity is in the prices for early '70s Les Pauls. The early '70s was Gibson's worst period, and I've never played one from that era that I like. But you see them fetching $8k on eBay in wretched shape. I predict the upcoming recession will take that market down hard.

Wiz

Reaction score
Heh Gibson should send Adam Jones a letter of gratitude for making people drool over those silverbursts. I imagine nobody ever cared about them until Tool got big.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
I heard Adam Jones plays them, because something about the finish (at least on whatever model year his are) affects the tone somehow, and they were discontinued. But he said he likes how it sounds...
But i read that on wikipedia, so i don't know how reliable that is.

oh. and I don't like Gibsons OR Flying V's (YUCK), but that thing is GORGEOUS. Mastodon eh? I guess those guys know what's up

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Heh Gibson should send Adam Jones a letter of gratitude for making people drool over those silverbursts. I imagine nobody ever cared about them until Tool got big.

Oh, they had their fans all along. I remember drooling over the Silverbursts back when they were new.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
We can thank Adam Jones for keeping the prices on them inflated, though, since he bids with no care for price whenever one pops up on E-bay.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
We can thank Adam Jones for keeping the prices on them inflated, though, since he bids with no care for price whenever one pops up on E-bay.

Thankfully, we can also thank him for AEnima and Lateralus, so really it all nets out, if only just. :D

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score

Thankfully, we can also thank him for AEnima and Lateralus, so really it all nets out, if only just. :D

If I had to choose between buying one of these LPs at a more affordable price or AEnima, I'd choose Aenima 99 times out of 100...and kick myself repeatedly for the one time I chose the LP

')