I wouldn't pay to see this (Malmsteen related)

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
^

I think Malmsteen was more of an influence for older guys like me who grew up listening to him. 'Cause in 1983, i mean, he really was the shit. Next big step in guitar after Eddie Van Halen. Today, this Baroque'n'roll thing isn't as fresh and interesting as it used to be back then... So i get it when people aren't much into him today.

Yeah, exactly. But I pay myself a small stipend to keep reminding people that it was Malmsteen who came out of nowhere to start the whole thing. His technique pushed the boundaries of guitar and set the bar really high. I believe that part of that technique involves his superb note choice, phrasing and vibrato.

*edit* Well... not nowhere exactly. Randy was first, but Yngwie blew it up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
^

True. I just realized i forgot to put Randy up there in between VH and Malmsteen.

I'd be really curious to know if Rhoads ever said any comments about Malmsteen back in the day (the way he did about George Lynch and Ham Halen)...

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
How the mighty are fallen...

Is this Yngwie or a cruise-ship cabaret tribute?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
How the mighty are fallen...

Is this Yngwie or a cruise-ship cabaret tribute?

Dude i went on a cruise one time, and they had this classical trio.. they friggin shred their asses off. and the Cello player was hot as hell :yesway:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be really curious to know if Rhoads ever said any comments about Malmsteen back in the day (the way he did about George Lynch and Ham Halen)...

Randy died before Yngwie sent his demo tape to Mike Varney for the Guitar Player Magazine "Spotlight" column, I believe, or right around the same time. So I doubt that Randy ever heard of Yngwie.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Even when he was in Alcatraz?

Randy died in 1982. Yngwie's appearance in Guitar Player's "Spotlight" column didn't happen until 1983, after which Yngwie moved to America and recorded the Steeler album and the first Alcatrazz album that same year.

Wiz

Reaction score
I'm very curious to see how much people are going to push the limits of rock guitar in the next few decades.
Seriously, people used to think Iommi was a god, then came all these dudes who were eternities apart both technically and composition-wise, like Rhoads, Yngwie, Lane, Cooley and tons of others who really won't fit into one post. I wonder if people will keep pushing that kind of technical quality on and on. I just find it really hard to see how much better one can get without practically becoming a android practicing guitar 18 hours a day (kind of like Lane was..).

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I'm very curious to see how much people are going to push the limits of rock guitar in the next few decades.
Seriously, people used to think Iommi was a god, then came all these dudes who were eternities apart both technically and composition-wise, like Rhoads, Yngwie, Lane, Cooley and tons of others who really won't fit into one post. I wonder if people will keep pushing that kind of technical quality on and on. I just find it really hard to see how much better one can get without practically becoming a android practicing guitar 18 hours a day (kind of like Lane was..).

Well, surely the bounds of what's possible on guitar has reached a plateau. With people like Govan and Eklund (sp?), I really can't imagine anything possible on guitar that hasn't been done already.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
^ That's what makes the next thing that comes about mind blowing and innovative though.

You always think "well damn, how much better can things get?"

Then *wham* something new comes along.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, people used to think Iommi was a god,

Well, Iommi wasnt really godlike cause of his technical skill. there were people before him that were more technical, like MacLaughlin.. BUT Its tony's heavy-as-fuck riffs that made him godlike.

Wiz

Reaction score
Heh yeah that's possible. And just like metal guitarist got more technical over the decades, riffs too got MUCH heavier. Black Sabbath's heaviness sounds like britney spears compared to the 100 megaton riffs contemporary bands are pulling off ( think of Outworld or Aghora ).

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Pff, screw that. Master Of Reality is STILL heavy as fuck.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbAyahF_tfg

That's a SLOPPY AS HELL performance... what a shame. :noway:

That drummer is actually VERY GOOD. He is one of the most solid drummers I have ever seen live. He played a show in miami with his side project. Truly a good player.

Malmsteen.......probably drunk at that performance who knows....he was actually very nice in person at the Boss booth.

Heh yeah that's possible. And just like metal guitarist got more technical over the decades, riffs too got MUCH heavier. Black Sabbath's heaviness sounds like britney spears compared to the 100 megaton riffs contemporary bands are pulling off ( think of Outworld or Aghora ).

:hbang:

Exactly. I also prefer Vai over Yngwie like Hellbound, but I think it would be silly to say that Yngwie doesn't have "feeling" (I was just sarcastically trying to demonstrate the point with the Vai>Petrucci comment). It'd be like saying "Beethoven was good at playing piano, but he didn't have any feel" just because he didn't play with bluesy technique. I notice a lot of people equate blues guitar techniques to feeling and if you don't use those, you don't have feeling, which negates a lot of jazz, classical/neo-classical, etc. as music with "no feeling."

Exactly
If you catch Yngwie on a good day HIS TONE, VIBRATO, AND FEELING ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Jesus people relax :lol:

I've seen yngwie a ton of times - hes never sounded that bad - actually he allways sounds damn good

This is what probably happened:

First off he is playing through shitty Fender amps (He is not using his own rig)

Second there was probably no sound check

third he might have been having a really off night - had a few too many cocktails

And lastly the monitors probably suck

Well enough excuses he really has not been the same since the near-fatal car accident

I can attest to that at NAMM you don't get "Soundchecks" or infact to warm up much before. And usually you have more then one Heineken kickin in the system.....

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Interesting perspective from John Wheatcroft in an article on Django Reinhardt that he wrote for Guitar Techniques...

'Music just gets broader, not necessarily better...'

It's a pretty astute comment when you think about it; when the next generation of guitarists try and follow their predecessors by just being faster or more technical, you wind up with a load of Andy Van Hatcher-style players.
The guys who really push the boundaries are the ones who add something new on top of the groundwork others have established. Everyone makes a big deal about Rusty's speed, but think how many people have started practicing four-note-per-string licks and 5 and 7 note groupings since he popped up? I'm away neither of those things are new, but he's definitely codified a new school of guitar playing.
Yngwie did much the same, beyond any shadow of a doubt, when he first appeared, and so regardless of a drunken/sloppy performance like that, his place in guitar history is safely assured.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting perspective from John Wheatcroft in an article on Django Reinhardt that he wrote for Guitar Techniques...

'Music just gets broader, not necessarily better...'

It's a pretty astute comment when you think about it; when the next generation of guitarists try and follow their predecessors by just being faster or more technical, you wind up with a load of Andy Van Hatcher-style players.
The guys who really push the boundaries are the ones who add something new on top of the groundwork others have established. Everyone makes a big deal about Rusty's speed, but think how many people have started practicing four-note-per-string licks and 5 and 7 note groupings since he popped up? I'm away neither of those things are new, but he's definitely codified a new school of guitar playing.
Yngwie did much the same, beyond any shadow of a doubt, when he first appeared, and so regardless of a drunken/sloppy performance like that, his place in guitar history is safely assured.

word...

No Yngwie......

No Becker

No Vai in Alcatrazz....

No Varney /Shrapnel to fund killer players

No Pgilbert & Racer X

Yngwie truly is a PIONEER of what he brought to the table. EVERYONE owes that guy something if they do sweeps and or arpeggios and or anything to do with speed picking shred along side a metal band.

I have seen him when he is on fire and man HE IS FIERCE when he wants to be on that AXE.

Besides he resides in MIAMI.....

So dont fuck with my neighbor! : ):hbang: Allow a brother to have a bad night from time to time....

I have seen Vai also get clammy, I have seen almost all the "Bad Asses" have a bad night.

The only one i never saw have a "Bad night " is Holdsworth but then again Aliens do not COUNT.

Santiago
www.aghora.org

')