I :wub: lemon oil

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Man this shit works wonders. I lemon oil all my fretboards about every 3 months or so. This is my S7420, and the lemon oil process changed the rosewood color from a light brown to this thick chocolate brown color. The wood looks 10 times better, and my guitars always plays a bit smoother after an oiling.

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I use the Kyser Dr. Stringfellow Lem-oil spray they sell at Guitar Center. I have 4 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, and a bass, I lemon oil them all, and one little bottle of the kyser stuff lasts me about 6 months. Not bad for a $5 investment :yesway:

This stuff:
kyser-lem-oil.jpg

Gurj

Reaction score
desertdweller said:
I use the Kyser Dr. Stringfellow Lem-oil spray they sell at Guitar Center. I have 4 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, and a bass, I lemon oil them all, and one little bottle of the kyser stuff lasts me about 6 months. Not bad for a $5 investment :yesway:

This stuff:
kyser-lem-oil.jpg

Same stuff that I use aswell. Except I probably oil my guitars about every 6 months.

Roland777

Reaction score
Regular lemon-oil works good too? No such thing as that in Sweden, last I recall.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
nyck said:
It usually goes away in a few days :(

Not if you apply it correctly.

Here's my approach to a neck that's badly under-moisturized. First, de-string the guitar. Next lem-oil spray down the fretboard, hit every space between the frets. Let it sit for about a minute, then with a non-abrasive cloth (a ratty t-shirt is perfect) wipe down the fretboard, removing as much of the oil as you can. You want to be harsh, but not too harsh. You're wiping away the finger oils and crap that's built up on your fretboard.

Now, once you have as much of the board wiped down as you can, spray it again with the lem-oil. This time use a ton of it. Don't worry if it beads up at the frets, we're not concerned with that. Wipe the back of the neck so nothing drips. Let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. Come back, wipe the excess off the fretboard. Do it again. This time let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.

If your neck is extremely dry, my advice is to hit it again with the lem-oil in about an hour, and let it sit overnight. If it's not too badly dry, then what I outlined above should be enough.

I live in one of the most arid climates in the country, and my guitar necks stay a dark brown for months when I treat them like this. Not just that, if you routinely do this, say every month or two (or 3 in my case) over time your guitar necks will get more and more used to it and the wood will become more of a treated wood as opposed to a dry wood.

Roland777 said:
Regular lemon-oil works good too? No such thing as that in Sweden, last I recall.

I don't think they added much to the mix, so I would assume regular lemon oil would do the trick too. Just don't use that Endust stuff, even though it says it has lemon oil in it. It will strip the finish off the rosewood neck and actually make it much lighter and dried out. God knows, I've made that mistake before.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
I don't think they added much to the mix, so I would assume regular lemon oil would do the trick too. Just don't use that Endust stuff, even though it says it has lemon oil in it. It will strip the finish off the rosewood neck and actually make it much lighter and dried out. God knows, I've made that mistake before.

:scratch: That's the stuff I use (at least, for my old guitar, my new axe gets Eric's stuff). I've heard that it's virtually the same as the guitar lemon oil, except that the guitar lemon oil companies claim that theirs is special and price it higher...

In any case, regular oil works fine for me. I get that same nice, moisturized black finish.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the ingredients, guys. I've seen a lot of "lemon oils" actually made of petroleum byproducts.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Thanks Vince! I usually just rubbed it on the fretboard and then let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped it down and slapped the strings on. Thanks for the guide.

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i use a tooth brush to work in the first treatment - getting in the grain, loosening the crud.

then i pee on it

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
i use a tooth brush to work in the first treatment - getting in the grain, loosening the crud.

then i pee on it

Arctually uric acid eats tarnish off the frets and keeps them nice. Doesn't it smell though?

[action=Bostjan]uses double-boiled linseed oil[/action]

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! I've switched to bore oil since I got Eric's cleaning kit. It apparently keeps in the wood longer.

The usual deal for me is a fret polish and fretboard treatment every 6 months. I can feel when the frets need a polish because they're less smooth against the strings.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:

then i pee on it

remind me never to buy a guitar you're selling :lol:

marton

Reaction score
Eeewww :ugh:

That's disgusting, I'd never pee directly on my fretboard, you could probably bleach the wood with hot pee.

...That's why I only use refrigerated bottled pee. :agreed:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i use lemon pledge, a toothbrush, and paper towels when i clean my fretboard... usually leave the strings on too, the lemon pledge tends to clean them pretty good... you know, the foamy type of lemon pledge, its great, makes my fretboard so spotless, and makes it look so sexy...

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i used Eric's penis lube on my RG7621, and it was pretty nice. tomorrow i'm restringing both my guitars, so i'll follow this technique you laid out, Vince. sounds like a good one.

Latest posts

')