Ibanes m80m - Thickest string to fit

• Thread starter tofumannen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tofumannen

Reaction score
Yough!!

I wanted to put a 105 bass string in my Ibanez m80m but it was too thick for the bridge :scream:
What's the thickest string you guys have been able to fit in it? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything will work if you just unwind the end of the string. Alternatively, just measure the tuner opening.

tofumannen

Reaction score
hmm interesting, unwind you say...
wont it keep on unwinding by itself? I forgot to mention it is the BRIDGE it didn't fit in

akinari

Reaction score
LaBella can make a .120 that will fit it! Not sure if Kalium strings would fit the bridge, but they do up to .182 for guitar now I believe.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hmm interesting, unwind you say...
wont it keep on unwinding by itself? I forgot to mention it is the BRIDGE it didn't fit in

You can just remove the end winding, carefully, and you'll still be able to use the string. There are a bunch of YT vids on it. You can also drill out the tuner if needed, which you're probably going to want to do.

That said, if the bridge is the issue, just put the string in backwards, with the ball end at the headstock and put the end wind in the bridge. Just be sure to trim it so that the full winding width is on the saddle.

Out of curiosity, why do you need such a thick string on such a long (29.4") scale? Between the scale and the string width, you're not really going to be able to get a tighter relative tension if something like E1 is your goal. It's better to stick to slightly smaller strings, they'll feel about the same but sound better, more guitar like.

tofumannen

Reaction score
Ah thanks. Silly me. You're right of course maxofmetal :D
I'll just turn the string the other way and unwind it for the tuner :)
Well, I'm actually aming for A, a fifth lower than a low E. It's an experiment for shure :agreed:

')