Ibanez 1527Z spring tension problem

• Thread starter Rayaus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rayaus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've run into a problem with my Ibanez RG1527Z. The tension from my strings (10-56, tuned to B standard) is too strong for the springs on the trem, which I've set to maximum tension. The bridge is not far from being level, but it's still a bit too high.

I tried to see if Ibanez makes higher tension springs for the Edge-Zero (unfortunately there can't be more than 2 of them in there) but the type of spring that comes stock on 7 string Ibanez guitars are the highest tension ones available. Did any of you guys run into such a problem? Would there be a way around that issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Thats kinda odd that 10's would be "too much" for it.

You should be able to get higher gauge springs for it, not sure where though, those ez trems are new to me :p

Rayaus

Reaction score
Thats kinda odd that 10's would be "too much" for it.

You should be able to get higher gauge springs for it, not sure where though, those ez trems are new to me :p

Yeah, I've checked with Rich from Ibanez Rules (who I bought it from) and the stock springs are the highest tension ones available. Also, they're not designed like springs for other trems, so unfortunately I can't just use any higher tension springs to replace them.

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
10-56 on a seven string guitar shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure there's something you're missing.

Mind posting some pictures??? Really, such setup problems are better described and understood with pictures than without.

Rayaus

Reaction score
I took some pictures with my cellphone, so they're not the best quality. As you can see, the bridge is a bit higher than level, and the tension is set to maximum.

Qubec-20120406-00149.jpg

Qubec-20120406-00151.jpg

Qubec-20120406-00153.jpg

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
Try this:

1) Detune your guitar.
2) Rotate the thumbscrew so that the level indicator is somewhere in the middle (closer to "-" is better).
3) Tune up your guitar
4) Adjust the thumbscrew so that the stop block touches to stopper.

Essentially what you want to do is balance the spring tension and string tension, and keep the bridge at the "zero point", i.e. parallel to the body.

Let me know if this works!

Rayaus

Reaction score
Try this:

1) Detune your guitar.
2) Rotate the thumbscrew so that the level indicator is somewhere in the middle (closer to "-" is better).
3) Tune up your guitar
4) Adjust the thumbscrew so that the stop block touches to stopper.

Essentially what you want to do is balance the spring tension and string tension, and keep the bridge at the "zero point", i.e. parallel to the body.

Let me know if this works!

Thanks for the advice! I gave it a try and it didn't change the level where the trem sits. Maybe I'll try buying some new springs to see if maybe the ones that came with it weren't as strong as they should, or for some reason lost some strength after usage. :scratch:

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I gave it a try and it didn't change the level where the trem sits. Maybe I'll try buying some new springs to see if maybe the ones that came with it weren't as strong as they should, or for some reason lost some strength after usage. :scratch:

That would have been my second piece of advice, I've seen that happen in my own guitars, but with regular floating trems. If springs lose their elasticity this can very well be the case.

Sluntlunt

Reaction score
I bought my 1527z New and got a set of high tension springs spare in the case, So they do make them.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Look's like i'll be buying a fixed ibby 7 xD
Try blocking it?

I have an ibanez with an edge 3 and i don't use whammy as much so i'm blocking it. I don't know if you use your whammy thoug.

Rayaus

Reaction score
Look's like i'll be buying a fixed ibby 7 xD
Try blocking it?

I have an ibanez with an edge 3 and i don't use whammy as much so i'm blocking it. I don't know if you use your whammy thoug.

I actually use the trem a lot and I really like the ZPS, so I'll try ordering new springs and see if this is the problem.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
What's the difference between regular springs and ZPS springs? It seems to me that the hook end is parallel to the "eye" end rather than at 90 degrees like standard springs. Are you able to twist a regular spring that way?

But I too have seen high tension springs for ZR trems, like the short ones in this picture. It just seems odd that you'd need them for 10s if one may assume that Ibanez designed the system right, and if they think that two springs should suffice rather than the standard three-four then you shouldn't be experiencing these issues. Perhaps your stock springs did lose their springy nature for some reason.

Rayaus

Reaction score
What's the difference between regular springs and ZPS springs? It seems to me that the hook end is parallel to the "eye" end rather than at 90 degrees like standard springs. Are you able to twist a regular spring that way?

But I too have seen high tension springs for ZR trems, like the short ones in this picture. It just seems odd that you'd need them for 10s if one may assume that Ibanez designed the system right, and if they think that two springs should suffice rather than the standard three-four then you shouldn't be experiencing these issues. Perhaps your stock springs did lose their springy nature for some reason.

Well, the springs on the Edge Zero are shorter, and are way thicker than springs found on other trems. The heavier spring are actually the stock spring for all their 7 string models, so I can't go up from there. I don't think it's a design issue, so I'll see if maybe the springs were faulty.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I don't think the Edge zero is supposed to be parallel to the surface of the guitar, at least not when the zero-pint system is installed. As far the way I undershoot it, you just have to balance the springs of the trem in a way that the zero-point system bar is held against the trem block when the trem is neither pulled up nor pushed down.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Yep unfortunately you need stronger springs. I had to install high tension springs on my 1527 to balance out the tremolo for 10s. You can get them off Thomann. I did however revert back to 9.5s which the original springs could handle.

Search and theirs a couple of topics about it.

Reaction score
To me, it seems like new strings have ???lb. total tension at first, and then lose some of their elasticity, maybe even of a factor of -5%/-7%.

I must ride my horse up to my laboratory to calculate farther.

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
Seems like bad springs to me. Mines setup in B standard with 10-70 with the trem in the right position.

squid-boy

Reaction score
Oh, god. Replacing the springs is probably your best bet. I have to do this with my 1990 RG550 I have sitting around that needs new springs very, very badly.

')