Ibanez 2007 Reissue models new jem and 8 string revealed!!!

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't know what you people were expecting :shrug: I mean, how do you make a Jem even more extravagant and flamboyant? Well, make it see-thru and and fill it with crazy LED lights, of course!

I think that no matter what Ibanez did, a large part of the community would be disappointed.

I agree. Here's the pic the posted up close of the body of the JEM20:
4i6rpet.jpg

I think it looks really cool. if it werent gonna cost 4 grand i'd probably really consider it. I think if they would've released this in 1993, the same people on jemsite who are bitching and moaning would be like "Remember how awesome the seethrough JEM was? I wish ibanez did more stuff like that nowdays!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I like it, i think that the old school guitar player will like it.

Those that stayed on the 80's.

If i have the money i will buy the 8 and the jem, but i think that i have to trade my UV for the 8, so i don't know what to do.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The reissue and anniversary stuff that the big companies are doing is bullshit. From their view it's just a quicker, safer and more profitable way of selling guitars than actually developing and improving the product. Coming up with something new is a big risk in the guitar industry so they no longer bother. We've come to expect this from Fender and Gibson, but to see Ibanez go that route is sad.

That said, if the 550 does have an original Edge it will indeed kick mucho ass

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
The reissue and anniversary stuff that the big companies are doing is bullshit. From their view it's just a quicker, safer and more profitable way of selling guitars than actually developing and improving the product. Coming up with something new is a big risk in the guitar industry so they no longer bother. We've come to expect this from Fender and Gibson, but to see Ibanez go that route is sad.

That said, if the 550 does have an original Edge it will indeed kick mucho ass

I'm curious, though: how could you improve a Jem? I mean, it's already a top-of-the line guitar with all the goods, and tons of visual fluff. I really can't see anything that needs improving--after all, wasn't this guitar designed by Vai to be the ultimate-performance guitar ever?

I see the point you make, I just don't think it really applies here :scratch:

I'm surprised--so many people talk about how they miss swirls and how Ibanez does nothing but boring black and white guitars... and now everyone's bitching about this.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
^ :nono: I bought my first 7 and start listening a lot of different music.

About the guitars... The 2007 it's going to be better, i want that 8 so much!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only new Ibanez I've heard about that does anything for me is the new S7 beacuse of the ZR7 trem and the fact that's it's a nice break from all the RGs.

The rest I don't get real worked up about. I think RG8 will suck balls. Basswood is not fit for a low tuned eight string. Ash would have been much superior. Maple would have been nice to. An ebony board would have been a nice touch as well.

+1 basswood body and rosewood fretboard is probably going to sound like ass. Can you say mud? Of course it is possible the EMGs will counteract that, and I'd like to play one to confirm it, but wouldn't take the chance on ordering one.

I was also really bummed to see the third color for the 550 is black, I was hoping for Laser Blue. I still might consider getting the pink or yellow depending on what the price is like, but I think a 3 color sunburst strat is higher on my list.

Ah well, the S7 still looks potentially cool.

Wiggywiggler

ss.org erroneous
Reaction score
I'm curious, though: how could you improve a Jem? I mean, it's already a top-of-the line guitar with all the goods, and tons of visual fluff. I really can't see anything that needs improving--after all, wasn't this guitar designed by Vai to be the ultimate-performance guitar ever?
Easy:
1) Ditch the monkey grip
2) Lose the middle pickup

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Piezo. 2. Sustainer ;)

I'm not bitching. It's irrelevant to me. I already own the greatest production Ibanez ever made anyway. :D

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the JEM does what it was designed to do, so why change it at all? Why not introduce new color options as just that - new color options? My complaint is that at every opportunity there's an "Anniversary" of some kind. It's very much a "same shit, different smell" situation.
For example, I hate Apple IPods with a vengeance, but at least when they release a new one it's some kind of improvement over the old one (hopefully). Smaller, lighter, more capacity. Same with cars, motorcycles, and just about everthing else. Imagine if for their anniversary someone like Nokia reissued a 15 year old cell phone? Or, worse yet, they made the same phone for 15 years, then made an anniversary model which was exactly the same, but see through.

Wiggywiggler

ss.org erroneous
Reaction score
Those are 3 & 4, sir :D (To the Dark Wolf)

Och, tumeni posters!

Anyways, Ibanez would made me happy if they made Vs. And had colours other than black. Not with the expencive thingies they do now.

Also, guitars are guitars. They have been found working the best with certain qualities, like most of the materials being wood. Most shapes were invented ages ago, and they work. And many a person leans towards the 'classic' body shapes. It's not profitable for companies to revoutionise the guitars by making then chocolate starfish shaped. Not many would buy such guitars. The greater mass will always want something they've seen before, something 'safe'.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Easy:
1) Ditch the monkey grip
2) Lose the middle pickup

1) i don't think so, that's not going to be a JEM.

2)That will be sweet.

And with sustainer, piezo, multicolor leds, like a christmas tree, and some d tuner on the bridge :hbang:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Well, the JEM does what it was designed to do, so why change it at all? Why not introduce new color options as just that - new color options? My complaint is that at every opportunity there's an "Anniversary" of some kind. It's very much a "same shit, different smell" situation.
For example, I hate Apple IPods with a vengeance, but at least when they release a new one it's some kind of improvement over the old one (hopefully). Smaller, lighter, more capacity. Same with cars, motorcycles, and just about everthing else. Imagine if for their anniversary someone like Nokia reissued a 15 year old cell phone? Or, worse yet, they made the same phone for 15 years, then made an anniversary model which was exactly the same, but see through.

Yeah, but that's because electronics are constantly evolving and improving. Same goes for cars. Electronics will continue to get smaller, more efficient and powerful. Cars will continue to get more better as well.

But with guitars, there's just no room for such improvements. As technology improves, it really has very little impact on guitars. Guitars are just a piece of wood with steel strings attached to it, after all. Guitars simply don't have the capacity to improve like other things such as cars or electronics.

The only improvements I can think of are the ones Bob suggested--sustainer and piezo. There's nothing else you can really do.

Unless you go for a fancy finish (which is the case here)...

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Nik, that's exactly my point, it's just a lump of wood (or plastic in the case of this JEM) with strings on it.
There are actually several areas in guitar design that can improve, certainly in terms of ergonomics and structure. A lot of people have already improved things, but nobody bought them because they weren't seen as 'cool'. Guitarists are a funny breed, the majority exist in a perpetual state of stale hero worship, searching for something which they can never achieve - the recreation of a point in time where a particular artist in cooperation with other particular people in particular circumstances created something that has been interpreted by that person as special.
Which has little to do with this thread :lol: I'm just tired of how guitars are marketed.

The Variax is a nice concept which I can't see achieving it's goal. On every setting the piezo sound is still there. The dynamics are wrong. Unfortunately for Line 6 the use of a magnetic driver is likely a violation of Roland's intellectual property....

Now there's another issue. The modern age of obsession with IP is restricting development of guitars too.

For the record, I think a return of outlandish tackyness to the JEM line is fantastic :lol: IMO it should be a standard addition to the catalog.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Nik, that's exactly my point, it's just a lump of wood (or plastic in the case of this JEM) with strings on it.
There are actually several areas in guitar design that can improve, certainly in terms of ergonomics and structure. A lot of people have already improved things, but nobody bought them because they weren't seen as 'cool'. Guitarists are a funny breed, the majority exist in a perpetual state of stale hero worship, searching for something which they can never achieve - the recreation of a point in time where a particular artist in cooperation with other particular people in particular circumstances created something that has been interpreted by that person as special.
Which has little to do with this thread :lol: I'm just tired of how guitars are marketed.

The Variax is a nice concept which I can't see achieving it's goal. On every setting the piezo sound is still there. The dynamics are wrong. Unfortunately for Line 6 the use of a magnetic driver is likely a violation of Roland's intellectual property....

Now there's another issue. The modern age of obsession with IP is restricting development of guitars too.

For the record, I think a return of outlandish tackyness to the JEM line is fantastic :lol: IMO it should be a standard addition to the catalog.

Gotcha ;)

My only concern with this guitar would be the fact that it's body is made of plastic. How does that work in terms of tone/resonance? I would imagine that it's not quite as good as wood.

Latest posts

')