Ibanez 2007 Reissue models new jem and 8 string revealed!!!

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
There are actually several areas in guitar design that can improve, certainly in terms of ergonomics and structure. A lot of people have already improved things, but nobody bought them because they weren't seen as 'cool'.
I couldn't agree more :agreed:
I'm often amazed how stubbornly guitarists stick with cutting edge 60's technology and put down innovative ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
well, they did make DY RG550s in the mid-late 90s with AANJ's. they'll probably go back down in value when the new ones come out. Granted, i'd probably buy the RG550DY reissue. I'm actually excited by the RG8, S7 and RG550DY. i wish i could get all 3.

Besides... it means a guitar with the Edge trem is coming back into production!

I've always liked the RG550DY too. That and the 770 DXs. I like the 8-string and the new S7 as well, the new Jems are interesting but i've always liked the older Jems.:agreed:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I think that the sound it's going to be exellent, if not ibanez didn't put their name on a JEM, and not a normal JEM, a 20th aniversary one.

With the pups that it has, seem to sound very good.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
eh, i'll probably be spending most of 2007 babying up my RG7620. until these new guitars become old news and come WAY down in price, i won't bother :)

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha ;)

My only concern with this guitar would be the fact that it's body is made of plastic. How does that work in terms of tone/resonance? I would imagine that it's not quite as good as wood.

Acrylic is quite dense. Tonally, to my ears it would be a massive improvement over the basswood in most Jem/RG guitars. Other will disagree, but I prefer a bright, defined tone. It's easier to lose excess treble than it is to wring definition out of a muddy guitar.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i'd like to get a tobacco burst on it, with the natural wood grain if it's nice, or a veneer if it's shitty :)

that might not be for a while, though. first, i want to get new pickups/electronics for it.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
you guys should wait for high res pics/vids before bashing that the 20th anniversary jem. Glen(admin) posted a teaser pic for a short amount of time and its A LOT better looking then in that horrible vid... people will always complain anyways...

Wiggywiggler

ss.org erroneous
Reaction score
Acrylic is quite dense. Tonally, to my ears it would be a massive improvement over the basswood in most Jem/RG guitars. Other will disagree, but I prefer a bright, defined tone. It's easier to lose excess treble than it is to wring definition out of a muddy guitar.
I think Glenn tipton said the same about an acrylic guitar, loads of definition and character.

Anyways, I think the plastic JEM is more of a novelty collectors item than a top seller amongst working musicians.. so it may lack something tone-wise. Kinda like Gibson's.. well, every model :lol:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
It's easier to lose excess treble than it is to wring definition out of a muddy guitar.

I could not agree more. Nothing is as disinspirational as muddy tone. There's only so much active electronics or BBE can do for a guitar....

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
DPM Dano, I couln't agree more.

#1 - I HATE guitar (everyone? Makers', magazines', whatever) dogged dedication to 60's ideas and players. I mean, pickups are still 19... shit, 20s? 30? technology. Everything is a remake of the Strat or the Les Paul,. friggin 50, 60 year old designs. I'm all about innovation. Gimmie a Parker Fly in 7-strings, with EMGs and a Variax piezo system. :yesway: And keep your fucking TONE knob. :yesway:

#2 About brightness, that's my philosphy too. Much easier to get rid of excess treble than brighten up mud.

astrocreep

Reaction score
Yes!!!!!:woohoo:

God. I have lost all interest in Ibanez..I'm seriously debating selling all my ibanez and ibanez based guitars, because they are starting to be an eye sore to me.

Let me know when you you start selling!

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
just a quick heads up - the RG550BK has a rosewood board the DY and Pink ones have maple.

Ken I am with you - I love the original edge.

I would have prefered to have an aanj but I know i can live with the old style neck joint.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
The thing that gets me, is that you can buy the EXACT same guitar on ebay, for much less. The only difference is that you wont get a matching case, and it probably won't be in as good of condition. But is that really worth the extra 500 bucks you'd pay for one of these 20th RG's?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Hehe or just buy one of the original 550s and pay 1-200 for a fretjob.... much cheaper than buying one of the anniversary models! :hbang:

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
^Exactly. I don't know the price that the rg20ths will be. But I hear it will be around 1k-1200. For what it is, it's too much.

Yeah, you'll sure be pimpin with that $600 matching case. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel bad for ibanez fans, for how blind they can be in situations like this. If the rg20th is sub 1k, then sweet. That's actually not a bad deal. But chances are it wont be, and you'll be paying extra for the case, and probably an "rg20th" engraved on the neck plate.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd rather get an old school RG on ebay anyhow, i've always been a fan of the older guitars anyway. :agreed:

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
The thing that gets me, is that you can buy the EXACT same guitar on ebay, for much less. The only difference is that you wont get a matching case, and it probably won't be in as good of condition. But is that really worth the extra 500 bucks you'd pay for one of these 20th RG's?

On the surface this might seem true but how many clean rg550s do you see on the bay? I'm talking minimal fretwear, no body dings, and clean hardware - next to none actually. Sure, you can find 550s on the bay but most of them are way more whipped than my 87 (or Chris' BBQ special)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
True, but i've seen some very nice ones, even the 770s, some have been really nice and some with character. :agreed:

')