Ibanez 2012: The Thread

• Thread starter MaxOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I've said it before. I'll say it again, what makes Ibanez great is their ability to follow trends in the market place. They follow trends better than anyone in the business.

From the trendy point of view, do I want a modern Ibanez that looks cool, or do I want a Carvin that looks like it was made in the 70's with it's rounded edges and such?

From a playing point of view, I am sure the Carvin would win (although I have never played one), but that is not the point.

Not everyone wants a guitar that SCREAMS 70's, despite how it plays, there are a BUNCH of shallow people out there!

I tried my hardest not to say anything bad about Carvin, however, Carvin and Ibanez are supplying guitars to 2 completely different people. Ibanez looks (trends) over function, Carvin function over looks (or I should say trends).

The truly sad thing is, the Ibanez RG's from 1987 still look more modern than a 2011 Carvin, that is SAD! Stuck in the 70's baby!

Play what makes you happy!

You go posting stuff about another company on an Ibanez thread, expect to get flamed! I don't go posting junk in Carvin threads. I am happy for those people who are happy with their guitars, be it MII, MIJ, or MIA. Be happy with those who are happy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I tried my hardest not to say anything bad about Carvin, however, Carvin and Ibanez are supplying guitars to 2 completely different people. Ibanez looks (trends) over function, Carvin function over looks (or I should say trends).

Most of what Carvin has introduced over the past few years has been more aesthetics instead of Function. Sure they got Stainless Steel Fretwire, but a lot of manufacturers do too.

Different neck carves are a no, even when other semi custom CNC built manufacturers like Suhr and Tom Anderson have plenty, we have yet to see industry standard passive routes, Not even a standard 25.5 inch scale on many models, which MANY people have stated would win them over, no OFR on the 7 string despite the many requests for it.

Instead we get abalone knobs, a different finish here and there, a "telecaster" that s nothing more than a strat with a different upper horn, ect.

I am not bashing Carvin entirely. I would love to get another DC400 one day, but to say they go for function over looks is not necessarily true.

dres_x

Reaction score
Anyway, back to the real point of this thread: I just read that that there will be Premium Sabers!! About time :p

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Anyway, back to the real point of this thread: I just read that that there will be Premium Sabers!! About time :p

My original point was if they did one in Carotene Orange with orange inlays, I would have to think twice about not buying new non MIJ Ibby's...

You know, orange like this...

2yzhs40.jpg

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
^ orange?

IMO this was the best guitar I've ever played for the money... $1500 and I could have got one on closeout for $1200, but I missed out... why did they stop making this?! I thought it played as well as my JEMs and I love the Tone Zone/Air Norton pickup combo... plus I prefer maple fretboards and wished they made maple JEMs still.

snowblind56

Reaction score
^ orange?

IMO this was the best guitar I've ever played for the money... $1500 and I could have got one on closeout for $1200, but I missed out... why did they stop making this?! I thought it played as well as my JEMs and I love the Tone Zone/Air Norton pickup combo... plus I prefer maple fretboards and wished they made maple JEMs still.

The biggest thing holding me back on these are the ghost sharktooth inlay. I prefer Rosewood over Maple, but the inlay just clash. I haven't bought a new Ibanez since they started putting these inlay on guitars in place of the dots.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I like the full on sharktooth inlays they do with the shell (or fake shell). I have them on my RGT42DX. But I don't like the ghost inlays much. I think they look like cheesy lightning bolts. :lol:

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
heard about the 2228 with passives somewhere around october. just sold my 2228 with bkps today and i miss it already, maybe one of the newer ones is in order! I will miss the old headstock though, the pointy one isnt my thing.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Huh? Oh, you have to zoom in... those aren't sharktooth. :)

Attachments

• RG3550MZ_ROM-1.jpg
    RG3550MZ_ROM-1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 143

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
No inlays? Stop playing with my emotions... I'm officially sold on these premiums.

')