Ibanez 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Skimmed through most of the 48 pages but I must have missed it: How does the 7-string JEM price compare to the 6-string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I believe a photo of this model in the catalogue was posted already so here it is in HQ:
34sny8z.jpg

Well, looks like there is another guitar I am going to get this year...

I thought I was done with Ibanez but then they came out with all of these beauties this year, good move Ibanez.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's mainly the trem that would hold me back (and the price, Im betting the S7 will be atleast £300 - £400 more expensive than the RGD)

I already have a trem Ibanez 7 (RG827z) so id like a hardtail to experiment with tunings easer. If only the Tremol-no was available for Edge Zero trems...

You could always just not use the trem, add a few more springs and just ignore it. Unless you change tunings frequently of course. I just think a mahogany S7 will sound better, and also DEFINITELY will have a thinner neck than the RGD7 which is one of their beefier ones (relatively).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
why's that?

Because I owned two RGD2127Zs and it was my least favorite MIJ Ibanez ever. It just felt weird and didn't sound very good. It wasn't just my dislike for basswood either, as I have two basswood Ibanez 7s including a 27" scale one which sounded/played much better than that thing did. Just my take. I've played the 6-string version of this Saber 7 and it sounds/plays phenomenal. Hence my opinion that the S7>RGD. Just my take again, no offense intended.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Because I owned two RGD2127Zs and it was my least favorite MIJ Ibanez ever. It just felt weird and didn't sound very good. It wasn't just my dislike for basswood either, as I have two basswood Ibanez 7s including a 27" scale one which sounded/played much better than that thing did. Just my take. I've played the 6-string version of this Saber 7 and it sounds/plays phenomenal. Hence my opinion that the S7>RGD. Just my take again, no offense intended.
Funny, I had both guitars as well and my experience was the exact opposite. Even the stock PUs of the RGD7 were pretty good.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score

Frankly, i am surprised they didn't make the RGD with mahogony. The people that buy the RGD's are going to be the rhythm monsters who want that fat, mean, chunky tone.

A lot of the S7 players will be wankers/shredders, and less concerned about the rhythm tone than their RGD brethren.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
shitsøn;3355964 said:
Funny, I had both guitars as well and my experience was the exact opposite. Even the stock PUs of the RGD7 were pretty good.

I dont know what to say, perhaps I got a dud those times. I am not saying anything is fact, just my experience. Based on said experience I'd trust the S7 Prestige over the RGD, but everyones experiences may vary. The RGD had a weird, bulkier neck shape, flimsy finish, and a dull, lifeless tone. Hopefully they've improved them by now, this was a few years ago when the RGD was first released. It was just a let down considering how much I love(d) my other Ibanez 7s.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I dont know what to say, perhaps I got a dud those times. I am not saying anything is fact, just my experience. Based on said experience I'd trust the S7 Prestige over the RGD, but everyones experiences may vary. The RGD had a weird, bulkier neck shape, flimsy finish, and a dull, lifeless tone. Hopefully they've improved them by now, this was a few years ago when the RGD was first released. It was just a let down considering how much I love(d) my other Ibanez 7s.
Yeah, maybe yours was a lemon. I got one out of the first run as well and regret letting it go until this day. I couldn't really bond with my S at all, which was a bummer, because I loved its looks so much. With that being said, I do want that Prestige S7 and the fixed RGD7. Both for different things.

a curry

Reaction score

my poor wallet... i am going to have to buy this, the esp stef telecaster, and my black water co. build. i really hope there isnt any other guitars coming out like this this year.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score

I am going to have to agree with you on that, I got one of the first RGD2127z's when they released in the UK and in the short time I had it, after the honeymoon phase was over I started to have second thoughts.

The finish is quite flimsy, but most Ibanez finishes are through my experience. The guitar however did feel rather dull and lifeless and didn't get that 'sync'd' feeling I got when I played my RG827z. Maybe a dud, maybe just preference.

I was planning on giving it a second chance with the FX, but after hearing that the S7 is mahogany, I may give it a go first to see what it is like. :agreed: If I get the S7, I will just block the trem with wood. I will be changing tunings a lot. Unless it plays way better than my 827z, in which case that will become the tuning whore :D

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score

I've had three RGD2127's and they were all my least favorite Ibanez 7's I have ever played. I feel as though the fixed bridge version may be a different story, though.

However, the neck profile on them was the same as the 1527 profile, so unless the S7 Prestige is getting the rounder neck that the S7420 has, I suspect that it will have the same profile as the RGD.

However, if it DOES have the same profile as the S7420, there will be no contest - it will be the most comfortable Prestige 7 on the market.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Frankly, i am surprised they didn't make the RGD with mahogony. The people that buy the RGD's are going to be the rhythm monsters who want that fat, mean, chunky tone.

A lot of the S7 players will be wankers/shredders, and less concerned about the rhythm tone than their RGD brethren.

Mahogany does a lot more for lead than it does for heavy rhythm.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I really notice more girth in my mahogany bodied guitars, and i am predominantly a rhythm player. It's a little darker, thicker tone but my high end still stays crisp.

Well, it definitely makes rhythms sound better to my tastes as well, but I think it has more of an improvement on lead tones.

Mr GriND

Reaction score
Bye RGA8 and no rg2228a gw production ? RG8 LEFT AVAILABLE (not for me) ! Any s7 in europe in brown quilt !

ByronL

Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse with pricing complaints, but with the economy still as it is, the RG2228 went up another $100 this year? I do understand its a MIJ Prestige series, but come on. It's a beautiful piece, but getting a little difficult justifying $2200. I can only imagine what 2013 will bring pricing-wise for everything else. We get excited for things that are out of reasonable reach for most, but given a $400 budget model that needs $600 in upgrades? Even the Premium line, although a step up, still quite pricey and still may need pickups and possible hardware upgrades. Can we really not get a happy medium? Example - alder/mahogany body, maple neck, maple/rosewood board, name brand pickup and some quality hardware for about $1000 or less?

Irritating thing too is most of these prestige models aren't available to try out in most stores. If they are expecting people to make this hefty investment, don't we deserve to at least play it first? The online retailers (sweetwater in particular) are great, but you are still buying blind. Mom and Pop shops can't afford to keep any as inventory (understandable), and good old GC well we know what we will (or won't) find there.

I know I'll probably get some remarks back "Quit complaining and go get a schecter or esp, etc." but I've been a loyal Ibanez player for years. I want to support the company, but its getting more difficult when every year, seems like we're getting less and paying A LOT more. Maybe they'll prove me wrong though after NAMM. I hope so.

The Guitar Center near my area (in Santa Clara, CA) has two of the J. Custom guitars and some Presiges. There's also a used RGD2127 there as well with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The price tags are quite hefty, but they're so good. I bought my used Prestige RG1527-RB from there as well. I guess on the bad side though is that for $3999 (the price of the J. Customs), I could probably get myself a custom guitar made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')