Ibanez 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Well, all you who want Ibanez 7s in another wood other than basswood should be happy, there are new models in both mahagony (prestige S7) and alder (jem7v7).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zhughes17

Reaction score
Any word on the street price on the rg7421? Sorry this may have already been answered but I'm not reading through 41 pages.

edit: First post woo.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I used to be on the no thanx basswood wagon, not that it's shit wood, just that i like mahogany better personally. Mahogany worked well with the pickups i used at the time, but after trying out a basswood RGD with Dimarzio D-Activators, i found a combination that gave me everything i wanted out of a guitar to a tee.

basswood itself isn't shit, but ibanez have used SHIT basswood

really it's all about weather the guitar suits the individuals basics needs, FORM (esthetics, comfort), FUNCTION (plays well, doesn't need a massive overhaul) and SOUND (Combination of pickups and wood)

i like the RGD Prestige With Dimarzios cus it fills all those basic functions. It does go deeper than that, but we are getting into personal taste here, and that's another discussion, one of which i would rather avoid cus it's been done to death, and goes nowhere really

Also, it would be nice if Ibanez did start releasing their current shapes with maybe a model of similar fashion but with different body wood. But i also take what they are offering this year as a massive blessing, as this is more than they have done in the past few years. and they finally offered what i was hoping for since the RGD fixed prestige was first rumoured

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I personally dont like basswood but theres never any right or wrong. I have an RG1077XL Prestige thats basswood which sounds really good, but it frankly doesnt compare to my alder APEX100 or mahogany J-Custom/RG7621M-BOL. It can work, its just tougher to find pickups that suit basswood than other guitars due to its honky midrange and loose bottom end. Personally I hate D-Activators also but it just goes to show: different strokes for different folks. I have the BKP Holydivers and Aftermaths in my two basswood Ibanez and they sound great. DiMarzios I really prefer in alder. Mahogany, thats where I prefer BKPs mainly though some Dimarzios work too.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I personally dont like basswood but theres never any right or wrong. I have an RG1077XL Prestige thats basswood which sounds really good, but it frankly doesnt compare to my alder APEX100 or mahogany J-Custom/RG7621M-BOL. It can work, its just tougher to find pickups that suit basswood than other guitars due to its honky midrange and loose bottom end. Personally I hate D-Activators also but it just goes to show: different strokes for different folks. I have the BKP Holydivers and Aftermaths in my two basswood Ibanez and they sound great. DiMarzios I really prefer in alder. Mahogany, thats where I prefer BKPs mainly though some Dimarzios work too.

EXACTLY, whatever works for the individual

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Comparing used vs new is kind of irrelevant. A new guitar always costs more, has certain perks and protections. Used is where you can get some steals and save money, but there can always be headaches and if it doesnt work out you're fucked. Yes you can score a cool RG7620 for $600-700 no problem. But what condition will the frets be in? How worn done is the trem/knife edges? Is the neck still straight? For used stuff, I would always recommend being able to try it first.

I remember when I got my RG1077XL used, it was just terrible. The bridge and nut needed shims. There were high frets some places, worn down frets other. The jack and pots were shit. The back of the neck was gross. The neck itself was mildly warped. I had our (awesome) tech fix the frets, apply the shims as needed, steel wool the neck a bit, install new pickups and electronics, work his mojo so that the slight warp wouldnt be noticeable, etc. Surely now the guitar plays and sounds amazing, but it took a bunch of time and money to get it right. Many people would have just been like "fuck this thing" and put it back up for sale at a loss.

Bottom line is: its unfair to just say "meh, I could get [insert guitar here] used for the same money". Youre paying for something completely different. New is new. Used theres an automatic 30% depreciation (if not more in some cases). Apples and oranges. I score used stuff like everyone plenty, but I still prefer a new guitar when I can swing it. Its a totally different experience and thats part of what you're paying for. Whatever is in the budget and whatever time/effort youre willing to put into it will determine whats best for you.

LukeNecraG

Necrabeast
Reaction score
Comparing used vs new is kind of irrelevant. A new guitar always costs more, has certain perks and protections. Used is where you can get some steals and save money, but there can always be headaches and if it doesnt work out you're fucked. Yes you can score a cool RG7620 for $600-700 no problem. But what condition will the frets be in? How worn done is the trem/knife edges? Is the neck still straight? For used stuff, I would always recommend being able to try it first.

I remember when I got my RG1077XL used, it was just terrible. The bridge and nut needed shims. There were high frets some places, worn down frets other. The jack and pots were shit. The back of the neck was gross. The neck itself was mildly warped. I had our (awesome) tech fix the frets, apply the shims as needed, steel wool the neck a bit, install new pickups and electronics, work his mojo so that the slight warp wouldnt be noticeable, etc. Surely now the guitar plays and sounds amazing, but it took a bunch of time and money to get it right. Many people would have just been like "fuck this thing" and put it back up for sale at a loss.

Bottom line is: its unfair to just say "meh, I could get [insert guitar here] used for the same money". Youre paying for something completely different. New is new. Used theres an automatic 30% depreciation (if not more in some cases). Apples and oranges. I score used stuff like everyone plenty, but I still prefer a new guitar when I can swing it. Its a totally different experience and thats part of what you're paying for. Whatever is in the budget and whatever time/effort youre willing to put into it will determine whats best for you.

Well said.

I never intended to shoot down cheap new gear. Rather offer an alternative.
My apologies.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
It's the 2nd week of 2013. I am seriously sick of waiting to see an official release from ibanez on what they're offering. ESP's done it, Schecter's done it. Let's see your guitars, Ibanez.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well said.

I never intended to shoot down cheap new gear. Rather offer an alternative.
My apologies.

Nothing to apologize for man, just was saying my piece :) But thanks, its all good!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Little sneak preview...

sneak.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
')