Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
To anyone complaining about EMGs - Loomis has never had a problem recording a great sounding album and the Black from Metallica has a crushing guitar tone. :)

Actually, I'm not a big fan of his tone on Zero Order Phase. Then again, I'm guessing that's more because of his switch to ash, which I'm not really fond of. Listening to "This Godless Endeavor" which (I think) was recorded on a mahogany Hellraiser, I definitely like the tone on that album more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Simply as a practical matter, what pickups would be available for a mass-produced fanned-fret 9?

Nordstrand would do it. They're already doing a pile of work for Ibanez anyways on their bass pickups.

Also - why would Ibanez bother making a fanned fret 9 string? It's not like they'd end up recouping their costs for design, tooling up, advertising and programming....

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not a big fan of his tone on Zero Order Phase. Then again, I'm guessing that's more because of his switch to ash, which I'm not really fond of. Listening to "This Godless Endeavor" which (I think) was recorded on a mahogany Hellraiser, I definitely like the tone on that album more.

Ah. I should have been more specific on that one - TGE is one of my favorite guitar tones of all time. Either way, there have been so many amazing records done with guitars with EMG pickups.

I've always read people saying that putting EMG's in anything just makes your guitar sound like a guitar with EMGs because of the high compression and "lack of dynamics." I think people just like to hate on EMG. It seems trendy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Like someone said before, since a lot of us already push the front-end of our amps with OD pedals and compressors, it's already like we're running EMGs. :lol:

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
I don't understand the hate on EMGs, even though I prefer passives. I can fiddle around with equipment and get a workable tone out of almost anything, and EMGs are good products. Some people to prefer apples to oranges, taste is subjective, etc. I prefer driving the front end of my amp hard, but don't like the added compression in my sound from EMG pickups. If you don't like it, don't buy it, or customize it. But bitching is useless :2c:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Update: My Ibanez rep came by to my store today and had an even newer version of the 2014 catalog which has some additional new models added. Theres a new MIJ model I saw in there that people are going to be super happy about. I'll comment more when inevitably someone else leaks it.

PS: I wish I was a moderator here so I could delete every single post referencing pickups. This thread is about Ibanez NAMM 2014 and not a thread to discuss pickups. I personally hate EMGs, everyone who knows me knows this, but its irrelevant because people can just put whatever pickups they want in these guitars. It's not as if the pickups are glued to the body permanently. Its irrelevant.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
PS: I wish I was a moderator here so I could delete every single post referencing pickups. This thread is about Ibanez NAMM 2014 and not a thread to discuss pickups. I personally hate EMGs, everyone who knows me knows this, but its irrelevant because people can just put whatever pickups they want in these guitars. It's not as if the pickups are glued to the body permanently. Its irrelevant.

Dang, with close to 17k posts, I'm surprised that you're not a mod! :eek:

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Update: My Ibanez rep came by to my store today and had an even newer version of the 2014 catalog which has some additional new models added. Theres a new MIJ model I saw in there that people are going to be super happy about. I'll comment more when inevitably someone else leaks it.

I think all the EMG talk gained momentum because people are getting restless, and a giant picture of a guitar with EMG's was posted 2 or 3 times. I think its over now though. :flame:

I realize you probably cannot answer any of these questions but is Ibanez logistically prepared to release a 9 string guitar? For example, will strings be available from major/convenient brands? I don't think I'd be exaggerating by saying SSO, even specific members, contributed the majority of useful string gauge information for 8 string guitars. Will the same thing happen with the 9 string? My hope is if Ibanez is prepared to release at least two 9 string models then other companies are prepared to provide necessities such as "packs of strings." Although, even if they aren't prepared, Circle K has been ready for years. :yesway:

jl-austin

Reaction score

Hmmm, I am scratching my head, I have not seen the actual catalog, I have only seen the pre-NAMM dealer flier. I might have to go visit my dealer again, I sure would like to get more info on the 8's being released.

Schaug

Reaction score
Well, I've always been an EMG whore :)

Actually, the 81 whore, I have a 707 in my Loomis but its about to get switched out for 81-7. I tried so hard to like passives, I even bought Dimarzio Crunch Lab to stick in my Ibby Premium but it sounded like utter lifeless crap. Not even closely powerful and grindy as the 81. For the moment I even thought it was wired wrong. :rolleyes:

So, yeah.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I realize you probably cannot answer any of these questions but is Ibanez logistically prepared to release a 9 string guitar? For example, will strings be available from major/convenient brands? I don't think I'd be exaggerating by saying SSO, even specific members, contributed the majority of useful string gauge information for 8 string guitars. Will the same thing happen with the 9 string? My hope is if Ibanez is prepared to release at least two 9 string models then other companies are prepared to provide necessities such as "packs of strings." Although, even if they aren't prepared, Circle K has been ready for years. :yesway:

I dont see why having official packs of 9-string strings is at all necessary. You can just order individual strings from just about any store out there. All you do is order a bass string and you're good to go. I know when I've owned 8s, I would rock a set of 9s and a 68 or 70 on the bottom. With the baritone scale that felt good to me. So I guess for a 9 you could just add on a bass .090 or something and you should be good to go. I like JustStrings.com

Personally though, to me 9-strings are absolutely ridiculous. I cant understand why anyone would want or need one. Nonetheless we have one of them on order, so we'll see. To me even 8-strings are just BARELY comfortable enough to play. I think 7-strings cover plenty of range for 99.9% of people out there, and I would rather just get a baritone 7 and tune it down to F# to enjoy the added comfort of a 7-string neck rather than play an 8. But then you add a 9-string, thats basically a 7-string bass neck width which is massive. I'm sure a few folks out there will find a use for it, I just cant imagine notes that low sounding good at all. To me "F" is about the cut-off where things just start to sound weird. Just my :2c:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks. Enough with the pickups debate, back to the awesome topic at hand about 2014 Ibanez models, please.

different-strokes.jpg

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
There's always the option of tuning up rather than down, but you're looking at totally different scale lengths going that route. G is pushing your luck at 27", to reach A you need to go several inches shorter still if you want to treat it like a regular string.

Either way, the market is small (and now you're split by tunings), production costs are going to be higher, and customization options for production instruments are limited at the moment.

I think all the EMG talk gained momentum because people are getting restless, and a giant picture of a guitar with EMG's was posted 2 or 3 times. I think its over now though. :flame:

La Bella's been selling 9-string HRS packs for a while now. Not something you really see in stores, but you can find them online without too much effort.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Any acoustic news yet? I know they had the 7 string acoustic last year iirc

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Would like a Hardtail S with a reverse headstock....

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Personally though, to me 9-strings are absolutely ridiculous. I cant understand why anyone would want or need one. Nonetheless we have one of them on order, so we'll see. To me even 8-strings are just BARELY comfortable enough to play. I think 7-strings cover plenty of range for 99.9% of people out there, and I would rather just get a baritone 7 and tune it down to F# to enjoy the added comfort of a 7-string neck rather than play an 8. But then you add a 9-string, thats basically a 7-string bass neck width which is massive. I'm sure a few folks out there will find a use for it, I just cant imagine notes that low sounding good at all. To me "F" is about the cut-off where things just start to sound weird. Just my :2c:

Agreed, completely. I never had an issue with 7 strings. My first guitar was a seven. Then came the 8 string, which i thought was neat but wouldn't own. Now the kiddies want their 9 strings. Meh, IMO notes just don't sound good when you're going down that low. A detuned baritone 7 will do more than enough.

SandyRavage

Reaction score
I am literally holding my breath for a fixed RGD 6 string MIJ.....the only thing that can take all my money for guitars this year.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score

LOL. Makes me think of this classic...

11.jpg

Latest posts

')