Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
The only reversed headstock I saw was the new MTM model. He is going back to the RG shape, the new one is white, I don't remember much about it, it was cheap though, like $799, so probably indo.

I love reversed, however, they really don't sell well for some reason. The last one, the RGR1570 was a dud sales wise. Great guitar, but it just didn't sell.

Musiscience

Reaction score
All these leaks are making me drool, in particular the bareknuckle equipped RGD. Unfortunately I just had a car accident and all my savings are going that way :noplease:

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
I was away from this thread for a day or two. I'm surprised and impressed, yet somewhat defensive. I won't believe this isn't all some beautiful fever dream until I'm looking at models in a store. It's like the Truman show and you're all fvcking with me....

Great work as always leaky gents.

Lol just watched that movie last night. Great facking movie

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
What do you think the potential size of the high-9-string market is? Maybe 10% of the size of the low-9-string market? There's no way that's a good development decision.

The potential market, again, is something that needs to be tested.
And you know...it just needs a "face"
Give a 9 stringer with an high A to Tosin Abasi, Misha Mansoor or Tony Macalpine and you get your market.
That's why brands endorses people, to give to average Joe the knowledge that something exists and that he could need it.

I just think at how many people thought that only Steve Vai would put a 7 string to some use when it was released.
Steve fu**ing Vai.
How many years it took to become really relevant?
Until the K7, when the price was brought to an acceptable point.

So, the market is there when you have a good face and a good price.

Same goes for the fanned frets.
Good endorser + good price + belief in your product (perseverance) = market made

And that's why I expect such experiments from Ibanez, because it's the only brand that has all those 3 things.

celticelk

Reaction score
The potential market, again, is something that needs to be tested.
And you know...it just needs a "face"
Give a 9 stringer with an high A to Tosin Abasi, Misha Mansoor or Tony Macalpine and you get your market.

I think that's exactly backwards. If the music that's being made demands an instrument with more strings, then individual players will seek them out (and already have). When someone who's done that creates something extraordinary, other players will follow, and you'll have your market. If memory serves, that's how it happened with the 8-string. Ibanez didn't give 8-strings to Fredrik and Jens and say "hey, we want to sell these - help us create the demand."

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
335457_main_m_201401081656.jpg

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I think that's exactly backwards. If the music that's being made demands an instrument with more strings, then individual players will seek them out (and already have). When someone who's done that creates something extraordinary, other players will follow, and you'll have your market. If memory serves, that's how it happened with the 8-string. Ibanez didn't give 8-strings to Fredrik and Jens and say "hey, we want to sell these - help us create the demand."

But what I said happened with the RG2011SC and Artusato.
It can clearly happens both ways.

celticelk

Reaction score
But what I said happened with the RG2011SC and Artusato.
It can clearly happens both ways.

Really? Ibanez wanted to build and sell an extended-cutaway >24-fret guitar and handed them to a random player to build a market? Or did Artusato want a 30-fret guitar, get Ibanez to build him a custom, and they subsequently released production versions? And what's the market impact of those models been? I, at least, had to Google them in order to figure out what the hell you were talking about, but I'll grant that that's a pretty small sample size.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
mod edit: enough both of you, this is not a wishlist thread or the place to argue about why what you wish would happen would or would not be a good business move.... if you're not talking about new Ibanez models that are actually coming out don't post

jl-austin

Reaction score
Do we really have to re-quote the picture 5 times? We get it, it is awesome!

')