Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nick, do you know if there are price reductions on other non-Prestige-styled Japanese instruments, suh as the Jem7V7?

You can PM, I'd rather not get into specifics here :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
The lefties should just pull a hendrix and string their guitars upside-down, and drill a hole in the "bottom" horn for their strap.. Sounds weird but, if one of the greatest can make it work, then so can you!

Voila! Instant reverse headstock. Now you know what to do, all you who swoon over that type of thing. ;)

There are plenty reasons to get a Prestige Ibanez over a Schecter Diamond series. The same reasons why someone would want a USA Schecter over a Diamond series. Its not that complicated really :)

Really trying not to threadjack, but could you please explain a little? Is it the neck or entire guitar? If components are better quality, what does that mean to the end user experience (tone, reliability, other)? I'm currently debating between a used (or maybe new) Prestige and a new Banshee. My impression is that the Diamond Series are Korean built and equivalent(?) to the Premium line. So I understand they're considered lower quality than Prestige, but in what way? Searching in the forum, I see terms like craftmanship, feel, fret edges, different neck (preference). Is that really it? Not that those aren't important, but...

That said, I'm very eager to see the new Prestiges. Especially if there's a 20% off sale sometime soon, they may shift the decision from "used" --> "new".

Edit: I'm afraid the Prestige vs. Other will turn into another Gibraltar vs. Tightend derail. I'm content to search the forum and play things at stores.

Last edited:

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Not really helpful link actually, as thats the European catalog and most of the new models coming to North America arent listed there.

It's helpful for the small portion of us who live in Europe and won't be seeing some of the models that go to the US.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Not really helpful link actually, as thats the European catalog and most of the new models coming to North America arent listed there.

Yes its been confirmed already. Its coming.

There are plenty reasons to get a Prestige Ibanez over a Schecter Diamond series. The same reasons why someone would want a USA Schecter over a Diamond series. Its not that complicated really :)

PS: the new redesigned Gibraltars are excellent bridges. Seriously the most overblown topic of concern in SSO history. Anyone who has played them knows better.

Prices on the Prestiges range from $999-2099. Most Prestige models have come down in price this year and are great values.

Could you elaborate Reasons why an Ibanez Prestige should be better then a Schecter Diamond !?!

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
Errr... it concerns me that Europe won't be seeing as many models as the US. Is it a drastic number of models?

I assume they will shift some over in time though, especially if certain models sell really well.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Could you elaborate Reasons why an Ibanez Prestige should be better then a Schecter Diamond !?!

For the same reason Schecter USA models tend be better than a Diamond series, and the same reason the ESP Japanese models tend to be better than the LTD models, and for the same reason Ibanez Prestige models tend to be better than Indonesian models. Isnt it fairly obviously guys? Some of these things are subjective, to a point, but when you're in our position as a Schecter dealer, an ESP dealer, an Ibanez dealer, etc it becomes very obvious when A/B'ing these all the time that theres a difference in quality, feel, and tone between the budget models and the USA/MIJ models. The difference is clear. Especially if you're a guitar tech.

It doesn't mean the cheaper models don't play and sound great, the Schecters are KILLER for the money. As are LTDs and Indonesian Ibanez models. As are PRS SE models, etc. But if you played a USA Schecter you would feel and hear a difference.

Not to mention its a bit silly to compare brand-to-brand as each brand offers a different playing experience. Its best to compare within each brands own series of lines. For example, its pointless to compare an Ibanez to a PRS, as they dont play or sound anything like each other (in their stock form).
That said, I'm very eager to see the new Prestiges. Especially if there's a 20% off sale sometime soon, they may shift the decision from "used" --> "new".

Honestly man, you dont need to wait around for sales. Most places can offer those kinds of deals year around if you just ask, they just dont (or cant) publicize it. If you want a good deal on something, contact your preferred dealer by phone/email/etc and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

It's helpful for the small portion of us who live in Europe and won't be seeing some of the models that go to the US.

The person who posted it was in the US, which leads me to believe he felt it was relevant to him. Which it isnt.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
This is a small sample of what the US is getting from what I've been able to gather. The lack of leaks is unusual, but I think we'll all be happy!:metal:

Trust me, be thankful for the lack of leaks. I don't know what makes people happy on this forum sometimes but I can assure you everyone will look like this when everything is released: :holy:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Idk but Ibanez will have to do a lot to beat out Schecter this year. Ibanez always make great guitars but I don't think they will wow us with insane specs at low prices. The new ESP line was also pretty hyped up.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Idk but Ibanez will have to do a lot to beat out Schecter this year. Ibanez always make great guitars but I don't think they will wow us with insane specs at low prices. The new ESP line was also pretty hyped up.

Many of the Ibanez Prestige MIJ models cost less than some of the Diamond Series this year. Again, I have no horse in this race, I represent both Schecter and Ibanez, but this angle gets overblown IMO. Also people havent seen the 2014 USA/Canada models yet, so why not reserve judgement? The european catalog SUCKS.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I am definitely waiting to see what they have. I am just saying that Schecter have set a pretty high standard this year with the wow factor. They managed to completely overhaul themselves.

ESP also make some of the best guitars. However, with all the pre-release hype I was let down when there wasn't anything mind-blowing. I just hope it doesn't turn out the same with Ibanez.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
NAMM is close....! To answer one thing, the guitars Head has been using with Korn are 25.5" scale.....

Its possible that Head's sig wont technically be called an "RGD" and will have some name like "Apex". With that being said, its possible that his sig could be 25.5" while having the RGD body shape, but technically not be an RGD guitar, therefore not have to have the 26.5" scale like all guitars called RGD do have. So in conclusion, Head's sig is not an RGD model, it just has the RGD body shape.

stevexc

Reaction score
Also people havent seen the 2014 USA/Canada models yet, so why not reserve judgement? The european catalog SUCKS.

I was actually just thinking about that, is the Canada lineup more in line with the American lineup or the European one? We tend to get the shaft from our distributor (at least, that's the understanding I've got - Efkay makes the call as to which models they're going to carry up here, not Ibanez, right?) so I'm obviously not expecting EVERYTHING to be available here, of course.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Its possible that Head's sig wont technically be called an "RGD" and will have some name like "Apex". With that being said, its possible that his sig could be 25.5" while having the RGD body shape, but technically not be an RGD guitar, therefore not have to have the 26.5" scale like all guitars called RGD do have. So in conclusion, Head's sig is not an RGD model, it just has the RGD body shape.

Head's signature is called "Komrad 20."

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So who started the 26.5" thing? I know Schecter has been doing it for ages, jackson also, and then ibanez with the RGD's.

I don't think the top horn would interfere too much with upper fret access.. So if the player is more fond of fixed bridges, I think it would work just fine.

as a lefty that briefly played an upside-down strat, its very awkward. pretty much no fret access (alot of people forget how close the top horn is to the neck), controls are in the way and constantly bumped, output jack is in the wrong place, and no body contours. Also I think it looks weird.

Hendrix probably did it out of necessity at first, but then it kind of became his thing.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Efkay makes the call as to which models they're going to carry up here, not Ibanez, right?

I'm acquainted with some of the people who work at the local music store that holds the Ibanez sales license, as well as the owner of the store that previously did before he retired, and they all say the same thing: by all accounts, Efkay is ....ing useless.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
If the EU catalog is the be all end all of what we will get, I will honestly be very disappointed. It has two models I am remotely excited about... while the leaks that have popped up here have me way more excited than anything in the EU catalog.

:noplease:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
shitsøn;3885040 said:
If the EU catalog is the be all end all of what we will get, I will honestly be very disappointed. It has two models I am remotely excited about... while the leaks that have popped up here have me way more excited than anything in the EU catalog.

:noplease:

Agreed...
The only guitar out of the EU catalog I'd want to get would be the 7-string S prestige with the Lo-Pro.

')