Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
I'm normally against veneers - the premium line tops of the past few years look awful to me, two dimensional and gross. It looks like a vinyl sticker of quilt.

Really? I think the veneers on the Premium 827qm is pretty nice tbh. :shrug: edit - i guess they can be a hit or miss

6zhb1Iw.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
There have only been a couple real 4mm tops on S's and they were J Customs. Everything else has always been veneer. They've also used plenty of veneer on Prestige RG's, flame, quilt, Koa, etc. In fact every flame top Prestige you see that is bound [not faux bound] is a veneer top. It's decorative only and keeps the price down.

So things like an RGA420z will be a veneer top on a maple cap? What about the RGA121's in natural? Im not upset at this, just curious ;) I'd rather a nice looking maple veneer on a maple cap, than a boring maple cap

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So things like an RGA420z will be a veneer top on a maple cap? What about the RGA121's in natural? Im not upset at this, just curious ;) I'd rather a nice looking maple veneer on a maple cap, than a boring maple cap

No - the RGAs with figured maple have a figured maple top. He's talking about the S-series in that first sentence and 420zs have the faux binding.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score

That's just it, the RGA121's were a solid maple cap because plain maple is literally a "dime a dozen" whereas a figured maple cap that's nicely figured could easily run $100, even at a manufacturing price point.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Some veneers are printed (a digital picture)

No, they're not. As Zimbloth said, "I think people are confused about what a veneer means, and perhaps are mixing up "veneer" with "photo flames" or something thats fake. Veneers are "real" top woods, its just merely a thinner slice, the figuring is the same either way. Most companies do things this way."

If someone's misrepresenting a photo top as a veneer, then that's an entirely different topic.

Meximelt

Reaction score
So when someone gets one of these. Which subforum do they put the NGD? 6 string, ERG or bass?
SRC6_WNF_1P_01.png

i was thinking the same thing. Bass VI's should be in the bass sub forum, but everyone else seems to put Bass VI stuff in the erg section so that's what I'm gonna do when i get it.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Some Premium Tops are a bit iffy, I can admit. I may have just gotten lucky because I loved the Veneers on mine, I couldn't honestly be assed to care though. Those two Premiums are monsters and played as well as a 2000 Level Prestige for me. Anyone expecting absurd tops on low end/mid range instruments should realize that it's probably not going to happen. Especially on guitars like the S Series.

9265010037_e9947ee19d_b.jpg

9267784762_e8511214e8_b.jpg

9267785844_ebec44aa75_b.jpg

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I don't like veneers because I'm sick as shit of seeing figured maple tops on every-fvcking-thing. I hate that for some reason it seems to be that "figure top = nice guitar" to so many people, so companies can just slap a veneer on a model they already had, charge a little more for it, and people just eat it up. It's like putting fake alloy hubcaps on stock car rims to make it look like it has alloy rims. People think that's dumb, but for some reason veneers are okay?

It kinda feels like companies like PRS made a name for themselves by making guitars with gorgeous tops and fancy finishes, then someone realized they could approximate that look with a veneer instead, so they started adding them and piggy-backing on the success of "nicer" guitars.

Hey, if you guys just like the figured maple aesthetic and are willing to settle for a veneer instead of an actual top, more power to you. And if a real top isn't an option on the S series because they're too thin and people insist on having a figured top aesthetic anyways, have a ball. If it were me designing them and I didn't want to sacrifice the tone of the mahogany in the body by adding a thick maple top, you know what I'd do instead of just adding a veneer? I'd leave it the fvck alone and sell a full-mahogany guitar with a solid finish. Crazy, I know.

Lol. This probably makes me seem more angry about all this than I actually am. It's a bit of a guitar pet peeve of mine these days, but I'm not really frothing at the mouth about it. Just... voicing an opinion. Sure, veneers WILL stop me from buying a guitar, but there are plenty of Ibbies without them (I have a UV70P), and there are plenty of people who will buy the ones that do have them, so it's no real skin of my or Ibby's back, hahaha.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score

RGA's had the thickest maple since the USAC's, 17mm thick so they could carve the arch top. The USAC's had a 1/2" top because they didn't have a vacuum form machine to form a 4mm [or thicker] top around the arm contour.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
My PRS has a nice thick 10 top and it's beautiful but that's honestly what I tend to stay away from aesthetically these days.

2 of my prestiges are solid colors and then my S has an absolutely beautiful bubinga veneer/top/whateverthe....youwannacallit

And one of them is gloss black :lol:

My RGA321f had a thick flamed maple top on it, that was sweet.

Anyway on topic I really wanna buy the Bowen sig but we'll see how my financial situation looks after my tax return and this semester. Might just have to be financially responsible this year :(

source field

Reaction score
I was never a fan of fancy/quilted/flamed veener and tops, they look busy to me. Personally i think the plain maple top on the RGA121NTF/VLF looks much cooler IMO

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I have plenty of guitars that are a solid finish.

But.the Doom Purple Burst and Green Nebula are just ....ing gorgeous. And I know I like the way high end Sabers play.

I'm not sure why adding extra pretty to already fantastic guitars would be a bad thing.

Veneers aren't like fake rims as they are real wood. A veneer *is a real top* just a thin one.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
But like hubcaps, they're purely aesthetic. Fine if you like that aesthetic, but annoying if you don't.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the same camp depending on the veneer quality. I dig solid finishes if done right and that's one of the main reasons I'm considering Jake's sig as it's got a classy aesthetic without involving figured woods.

If I had a say, I would have opted for a non-painted neck though...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
If I had a say, I would have opted for a non-painted neck though...

It's the satin finish though. I have this on one of my KLs and it's one of my favorite aspects about that guitar. Smoother than a lot of maple necks when done right.

Latest posts

')