Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
So I just walked around my room, "gotta sell that, gotta sell that, definitely gonna sell this for new ibanez..." I love that NAMM is always on or around my birthday, so every year I get to buy myself a new ibby as a present. Last year it was the S5427 the day it was unveiled, but this year I need to buy a 6,7,8 and that 30inch crossover bass vi thing!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Goddamn this went from an Ibanez leak thread to an EMG defense thread in the last page.

Am I on the right forum? :ugh:

celticelk

Reaction score
When you say non-superstrats, what body shapes/features do you mean?

For me, usually non-pointy-metal guitars: single-cutaways (Tele, LP) or offsets (Jaguar/Jazzmaster/etc.). As far as I can tell, either Schecter or Ibanez alone has more superstrat 7 models being released *this year* than the total number of non-superstrats currently available from *all* of the major manufacturers (even if you count the pointy-metal ones, like the Iceman 7). Given the infinite hairsplitting arguments we have here about juggling specs on the same superstrat platform, asking for a different body shape once in a while doesn't seem like a huge stretch. Standard disclaimers apply: IMO, YMMV, etc.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
As an owner of several 9 string guitars, no fanned fret no buy. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either.

celticelk

Reaction score
Well we've yet to see all that Ibanez has to offer, and Schecter has the Avenger 7 coming out. :shrug:

The Avenger definitely falls into the "pointy metal" category for me. I know there's a lot of love for it here, and I'm glad for all of you that they're bringing it back, but I'd never play one myself. A Tempest 7, as I've said before, would be an entirely different story. I'm staying optimistic based on zimbloth's hint that Ibanez has a non-superstrat 7 in this year's lineup, but the ARZ307 that I've played was not especially impressive (I far prefer the Epi MKH sig 7 as far as LP 7s go, which is why I own one), so I'll reserve judgement until we see what the final product is.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
As an owner of several 9 string guitars, no fanned fret no buy. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either.

I wonder what tuning Ibanez is gonna send these guitars out with and what scale length these will have. I initially thought it'd be like an 8-string guitar with a high A string, but I can't imagine pulling that off with a 27" scale length. :scratch:

celticelk

Reaction score

Simply as a practical matter, what pickups would be available for a mass-produced fanned-fret 9?

LordHar

Reaction score
I wonder what tuning Ibanez is gonna send these guitars out with and what scale length these will have. I initially thought it'd be like an 8-string guitar with a high A string, but I can't imagine pulling that off with a 27" scale length. :scratch:

Last year's prototype was 28" with a low C# I believe.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
A Tempest 7, as I've said before, would be an entirely different story. I'm staying optimistic based on zimbloth's hint that Ibanez has a non-superstrat 7 in this year's lineup, but the ARZ307 that I've played was not especially impressive (I far prefer the Epi MKH sig 7 as far as LP 7s go, which is why I own one), so I'll reserve judgement until we see what the final product is.

As an owner of a cheapo ART100, I was really excited about the ARZ307, but I played one at Guitar Center, and geez was that neck chunky!!! Too bad I have girly fingers. (No jokes, please! :lol:)

celticelk

Reaction score
As an owner of a cheapo ART100, I was really excited about the ARZ307, but I played one at Guitar Center, and geez was that neck chunky!!! Too bad I have girly fingers. (No jokes, please! :lol:)

I like chunky necks, actually, and I didn't like the guitar. It just felt wrong: wrong body proportions, wrong pickup selector placement, generally not very solid.

celticelk

Reaction score
Doesn't Bareknuckle do fans too?

Do they do fanned 9-strings? Would they fit a route sized for a Lace soapbar-type pickup? (Unlikely - think about the geometry of a fanned-fret humbucker vs. a soapbar.) Where would you get pickup rings to neaten up that install?

All of this also dodges the fact that the >6-string community can't get majority agreement on the "proper" scale length for a *single scale* 7/8-string. What makes anyone think that an arbitrarily-selected fan would get enough traction that it would be worth producing? Frankly, you're lucky that a major manufacturer is considering a 9-string run at all.

Latest posts

')