Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

• Thread starter Sogradde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, all things being equal, I prefer SS for the lack of future maintenance (relatively speaking). For an upcharge like Kiesel does, it’s a no brainer. But I wouldn’t let it stop me from buying a guitar. It’s just not significant enough of an issue to me.

That's really my major beef with SS frets, the additional costs because it's not like they have just taken an ordinary model and thrown SS frets on it (I'll be happy to pay the upcharge for that), they only appear on models with bonkers specs which themselves have an upcharge over standard specs

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That's really my major beef with SS frets, the additional costs because it's not like they have just taken an ordinary model and thrown SS frets on it (I'll be happy to pay the upcharge for that), they only appear on models with bonkers specs which themselves have an upcharge over standard specs
Which I never understood the big upcharge. SS frets barely cost more than nickel. They are only a couple dollars more...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Which I never understood the big upcharge. SS frets barely cost more than nickel. They are only a couple dollars more...

It does require different tooling and SS is harder on tooling so the upcharge for it is quite fair. It's only making them available on models with boutique pickups, exotic woods and crazy finishes that all cost a mint that's the problem. An extra $100-$200US for SS isn't a problem.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
$100 max. These are production models made enmasse. Even Kiesel only charged like $40 for a SS upgrade.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The issue is that Ibanez can't just decide how much stainless steel frets cost, they're beholden to the builders, who can charge what they want. In the past Fujigen has been very averse to stainless steel frets, so I have a feeling they're making Hoshino pay big for it.

$100 max. These are production models made enmasse. Even Kiesel only charged like $40 for a SS upgrade.

Eh, it's all voodoo math.

Now it's a "free" option, but the prices have gone up so it's just being baked in.

Ibanez could likely do the same, but as been shown in the past, folks will only pay so much for a vanilla RG.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
The issue is that Ibanez can't just decide how much stainless steel frets cost, they're beholden to the builders, who can charge what they want. In the past Fujigen has been very averse to stainless steel frets, so I have a feeling they're making Hoshino pay big for it.

Eh, it's all voodoo math.

Now it's a "free" option, but the prices have gone up so it's just being baked in.

Ibanez could likely do the same, but as been shown in the past, folks will only pay so much for a vanilla RG.

I mean now that they are converting and fgn is getting on board it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

The 5000 series aren’t nearly as expensive as I thought they would be.

The spot model xl that axe palace is doing is only 100 dollars more.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean now that they are converting and fgn is getting on board it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

The 5000 series aren’t nearly as expensive as I thought they would be.

The spot model xl that axe palace is doing is only 100 dollars more.

It's likely easier to run the price into $1800+ guitars vs. trying it on stuff like the Genesis series that Ibanez has had a hell of a time trying to keep at a certain price point already.

AlexJPA

Reaction score
ibanez-rgd61al-ssb-rgd-axion-label-6-string-stained-sapphire-blue-burst-electric-guitar-rgd61alssb.jpg

I want this one so bad!!

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
Holy hell, you’re not lying. I had to google that. Man, and I thought I had a light touch. That 34 on the low end is crazy! Imagine if he traded guitars with SRV, and then the look on each of their faces.
I would snap those strings like dental floss lol.

strangers

Reaction score
Another issue that's pushed the SS thing may be the move to Cobalt and steel strings. I definitely started wearing my nickel frets a lot faster after I switched strings a few years ago. I had a set of nickel frets leveled, and could see the beginning dents starting to show up within a couple of months.

My poor PRS' frets are worn down like the chiclet teeth hiding under a set of veneers. If I was still regularly playing it, I would be well on my way to a fretless.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another issue that's pushed the SS thing may be the move to Cobalt and steel strings. I definitely started wearing my nickel frets a lot faster after I switched strings a few years ago. I had a set of nickel frets leveled, and could see the beginning dents starting to show up within a couple of months.

My poor PRS' frets are worn down like the chiclet teeth hiding under a set of veneers. If I was still regularly playing it, I would be well on my way to a fretless.

Folks just to seem to care a lot more and are more informed about fretwear in general.

It used to be that folks wouldn't even look into a fret crown/dress until they felt and heard the issue with regular playing. Now, it seems to be a visual thing.

Folks bring me guitars for fretwork that ten years ago, I, the guy with a vested interest in working on it, wouldn't even mention.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Grabbed a quick photo. It really is dependent on the light. In no light it looks very dark:

20190228_123543.jpg

Metropolis

Reaction score
Grabbed a quick photo. It really is dependent on the light. In no light it looks very dark:

View attachment 67391

With MII Ibanez's there is chance to get a nice top or not so nice one like in this picture of yours. Of course they put all the nicest in stock photos, and most of them are something between. Somehow pics in Ibanez website are really different and almost false advertizing how it really looks like.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
With MII Ibanez's there is chance to get a nice top or not so nice one like in this picture of yours. Of course they put all the nicest in stock photos, and most of them are something between. Somehow pics in Ibanez website are really different and almost false advertizing how it really looks like.

I understand that there's variation in the woods (at times I've ended up with MII tops that are actually BETTER than the stock photos). What I don't understand is how drastically the lighting varies on some of these. On hard to photograph finishes (the Genesis 550 line), sure, however the variation on that RGD is massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.