Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

• Thread starter Sogradde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I mean, if someone could explain what "enhanced sonic properties" even is, I'd at least have to consider it's not utter bullshit. But because we derive our notion of what sounds good from existing wood guitars, it seems flawed. And similarly, no one agrees on that anyway, so doubly flawed.

Exchanger

Reaction score
marketing translation: It has the same density as wood X which is normaly used in guitar bodies

I'm just repeating what I heard. It goes beyond just density, it's a porous material and the air bubbles allow for better resonance like tiny acoustic bodies within the body, and it also has extra sustain etc... I understand your skepticism, and I'm not too sure myself how much serious science went into that, but there is apparently some research papers done about it at a technical university in the Netherlands. But that's beside the point in the end, it is indeed marketing and if it works well enough that people buy it, then the job is done.

I mean, if someone could explain what "enhanced sonic properties" even is, I'd at least have to consider it's not utter bullshit. But because we derive our notion of what sounds good from existing wood guitars, it seems flawed. And similarly, no one agrees on that anyway, so doubly flawed.

We could also admit that woods are actually quite flawed and that a synthetic material could be much more accurately controlled in terms of acoustic properties, manufacturing etc... Personally I don't care so much, but assuming that wood is better because of tradition is also a flawed reasoning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Reaction score
We could also admit that woods are actually quite flawed and that a synthetic material could be much more accurately controlled in terms of acoustic properties, manufacturing etc... Personally I don't care so much, but assuming that wood is better because of tradition is also a flawed reasoning.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying our measuring stick of "better" is flawed. "Better" is undefinable here. So "enhanced" should also be a red flag for anyone thinking about whether there's real scientific substance to these claims.

narad

Reaction score
I don’t know why people get so mad about marketing when it’s clearly marketing.

What do you want them say.

Hey it’s aristides. We made a guitar out of goop. It’s pretty ok. We guess.

I don't get mad at the marketing. I get sad at the people who believe the marketing. They deliver pretty great guitars, and they have fancy colors, so they honestly don't need the BS marketing pseudoscience.

Exchanger

Reaction score
I'm not saying that. I'm saying our measuring stick of "better" is flawed. "Better" is undefinable here. So "enhanced" should also be a red flag for anyone thinking about whether there's real scientific substance to these claims.
Oh ok, I misread you then. I agree with you. "enhanced sonic properties" is just me summing up what I heard, take it with a grain of salt ;)
They do seem to have some science to back it up. Whether that's solid or even relevant is not my call.
The ones that I tried out were surely confortable and sounded good, but I didn't hear or feel anything special. Then again I'm not super picky, a well set up RG with decent pickups will make me happy.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I don't get mad at the marketing. I get sad at the people who believe the marketing. They deliver pretty great guitars, and they have fancy colors, so they honestly don't need the BS marketing pseudoscience.

Of course they do man. If everyone else is marketing like that you need to too. They aren’t gonna win any awards for doing it right.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A true test would be for a company to make an acoustic guitar entirely out of goop! Then you can really see how their resonanating qualities are compared to traditional acoustics. I would guess they wouldn't sound no where near as good as wood guitars

Avedas

Reaction score
Isn't like less than half of the guitar by volume made of Arium? Doubt it would translate well to acoustics at all.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Regarding Aristides: i wonder what effect You would have if You made fiber-glass-epoxy skeleton and fill it with the expanding foam. I bet that the sound would be 90% there ;-)

Regarding woods: i am into making/ordering guitars with local, popular and easily grown species. My Lupus II is maple, pear, swamp ash and poplar burl. „Normal” woods (not exotic ones) are great. Strats and teles with maple boards are pure „eco friendly” approach (well, almost - since they only harvest trees, not planting them).

I play music

Reaction score
Guys, this is the Ibanez thread, so for discussing Aristides maybe go to the Aristides thread :lol:

Exchanger

Reaction score
Isn't like less than half of the guitar by volume made of Arium? Doubt it would translate well to acoustics at all.

Nah more than that, I saw the inside of one. But because of the cosntruction, I'm not sure how you could make it a hollow body without making it very thick.

Regarding Aristides: i wonder what effect You would have if You made fiber-glass-epoxy skeleton and fill it with the expanding foam. I bet that the sound would be 90% there ;-)

You're not that far off. There's a thin outer shell of plastic (don't remember which type) which is filled with Arium, which looks a bit like hardened foam indeed.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I'm just repeating what I heard. It goes beyond just density, it's a porous material and the air bubbles allow for better resonance like tiny acoustic bodies within the body, and it also has extra sustain etc... I understand your skepticism, and I'm not too sure myself how much serious science went into that, but there is apparently some research papers done about it at a technical university in the Netherlands. But that's beside the point in the end, it is indeed marketing and if it works well enough that people buy it, then the job is done.
yeah I know. Im not having a go at you, just making fun of the reality of marketing :p

which to be honest, and I think I had said here a few times, if they market those man-made fretboards in the proper way then everyone would want one of those instead of crying for rosewood because tradition and fender.

"hey we got this renewable, dairy free, cage free, organic, glutten free, hipster material. It has better resonant properties than traditional woods, you dont need to oil it, you wont be needed to fix your trussrod anymore, it has the smoothes feel ever which makes you play FASTER (lighting bolts appears), its made from re-cycling materials, IT SAVES THE TREES!!!!!!!!... ect ect"

Status
Not open for further replies.