Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 106 31.5%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 54 16.0%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 96 28.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
That's what happens when you slam on the brakes with an aircast on your foot!
That 1/4 light is fine, my new one is out :drew:

And I never had a cast, I was walking on it 3 weeks later, not that I didn't freak my PT out when I came walking in for my first appointment.

Flick

Reaction score
I hope we see another 5000 series 7 string. Really want a prestige 7 with stainless steel frets. No trem.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
It can be orangey compared to rosewood but I don't mind in most cases. Here's my 98 7620 (Rosewood), 2020 M80M (Jatoba), and 2015 752FX (Rosewood, but I've always suspected it was dyed at the factory):

View attachment 103536
I've never tried jatoba - only seen it in photos and on display in stores. I've heard it feels & sounds very similar to rosewood - is that the case in your experience?

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I think rosewood is a good match for most finishes, while jatoba clashes / doesn't look as good with quite a lot of finishes.

Here's an example of it looking out of place. It's the "wrong" finish for an iconic signature model, plus the owner of this guitar ordered based on a stock photo with a rosewood fretboard:
dsc_0050-jpg.9345

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Anybody that bought into the UV25ths will remember how that went when 1/3 of allocation couldn't find a buyer over a year after sitting on them, and that cost basis was less that half most of these. Cash liquidity is drying, interest rates are rising, I don't see trying to get full list price as a sensible path to success. Then again I can eat my words if it sells

I remember a bunch of US dealers got J-custom 7s in different colours in. A few sold but the majority didn't until they had to unload them for nearly 1/4 of the price. A friend picked up 3 for $1200 each off a dealer one day. Some of these guys buying up the 50th models are really gambling unless they have buyers already.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure some of these small dealers that lucked out in the lottery see this as something of a hail Mary move. High risk, high reward. While others are probably hoping that a deeper pocketed, bigger dealer who missed out would be willing to grab it to then resell.

The "almost five figures for an Ibanez" crowd is not as big as it once was, especially without a connection to someone like Vai or Satch or even Gilbert. Though being one of a kind is a big boon that will draw non-Ibanez folks too.

Times like this I wish I wasn't so far removed from the industry to say.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You still seem to know everything about Ibanez. How recently did you become removed from the industry?

It's gotta be at least 12 years now, which is like a million years. But I was in it for awhile. Most of my old friends are still, and I've made friends who still are, so I tend to wrangle some info every so often, and more when I really dig. Some even come find me when they hear things.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
Night Owl 10666,65 list, sale price 8k
safehavenmusic.com/products/ibanez-japan-custom-shop-jpcs11-night-owl

Asterisk list price 13333,32, sale price10k

ajsfreily

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone know why they don’t make more reissues of super classic stuff that they know will sell? Are they worried about pissing off collectors by increasing supply? @MaxOfMetal any thoughts? I would think the 777 and 77FP would have a run every few years, given how popular they are. Same with the UVs.

I LOVE my 77fp from 88, am the original owner, it kicks major ass.
I am not really a collector, but I don't play it very often nowdays as I don't want to wear it down more than necessary.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
It can be orangey compared to rosewood but I don't mind in most cases. Here's my 98 7620 (Rosewood), 2020 M80M (Jatoba), and 2015 752FX (Rosewood, but I've always suspected it was dyed at the factory):

View attachment 103536
I had a UV777BK or whatever the model number was with the darkest rosewood I've ever seen. I assumed it was dyed as well.

')