Ibanez 2024 NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Usually by now either something has leaked, or a store has fucked up by posting an item for sale that shouldn't be released online yet.
Yup. My best bet was a smaller store listing something early. Hey, it's 2023, maybe people have figured out how to work a website :shrug:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Axe palace nick said no new Japanese Ibanez models for 24.
Forgive my ignorance as I am no expert in Ibanez history, but has this ever happened before? If so, when? I don't remember not seeing new Prestige models for a given year. That would be a huge shame, as that is kinda the one thing I was holding my breath for.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
No he said zero new Japanese Ibanez models for 24.
Holy shit I hope he was just pulling your leg. Or I hope that you're pulling SSO's collective leg!

If this is true, my new guitar fund is either going towards more used Prestiges or, since I've bought most if not all of the used Prestiges I want or can realistically acquire, Ernie Ball Petrucci models.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new Prestige or a J Custom for years now, but here's why I haven't:

- Extraordinarily stupid decision to not paint the back of the RG5320 Cosmic Shadow. Looks totally stupid from any angle except the front.
- Lack of RG5320 in pearl white in the US...but even if they made it available, they haven't finished the back!
- Not entirely sure of the color of the RG8570 Royal Blue Sapphire, but the streaky fretboard is a no-deal. Do a dark red (like Almondite Garnet) or purple (Purple Amethyst) and I would buy one and figure out how to darken the fretboard. The RG8570Z was offered in a bunch of different finishes.

For now, my prized guitar is my RG2550Z that I bought new in 2016 and have kept in excellent condition. It is the only one that I have ever bought brand new. Other Ibanezes that I also own include an RG3120 Twilight Blue, RG3120F Dark Amber, 2x RG1570 (Royal Blue and Candy Apple Red), RG655 (Firestorm Orange Metallic), S5527 (Transparent Black Sunburst), RG1527 (Royal Blue), and a JEM7VWH. Know what they all have in common? THEY ARE ALL PAINTED ON ALL SIDES AND HAVE NICE AND DARK FRETBOARDS!!!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I am no expert in Ibanez history, but has this ever happened before? If so, when? I don't remember not seeing new Prestige models for a given year. That would be a huge shame, as that is kinda the one thing I was holding my breath for.

Yeah, it's happened. If you don't count color refreshes as new models, and of course with the MIJ caveat.

It's happened even more if you count the times they've brought existing models from other regions shuffling distribution.

But it's also worth considering that Ibanez, like most brands, is moving away from the biannual release cadence tied to the NAMM shows. They've released models of all levels on a more quarterly, and even monthly, cycle the last few years.

Thesius

Reaction score
Not quite 2024 news but Ibanez just did another run of RG8020Gs for hella cheap in Japan. Quite surprised they did that, but it's welcomed

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's happened. If you don't count color refreshes as new models, and of course with the MIJ caveat.

On the bright side, there is some hope that they will use the same front finishes and actually paint the backs...but given that whoever is choosing the finishes is probably high as a kite, I won't be too optimistic.

Stiman

Reaction score
Yeah, to me it's the front of the RG5320 Cosmic Shadow that is horrible.

As for me, I have my two RG550 Genesis and a great (used prestige) RG752 from 2017. So my guitar budget is not going to be going to Ibanez. Probably get more PRS instead. They make at least one color for each model that I like. I mean, so does every other brand on the planet. Ibanez is unique in this regard, each model typically comes in one discusting color option.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
no new Japanese Ibanez models for 24.

1000011048.gif

')