Ibanez 7621 project

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think they are real since Tim himself from BKP said so.

By the way, I want to order a custom decal from best-decals.com and ive already sended them two mails.... without sucess.
Do any1 know if they're active?

There active just fine, they may just not do mail to sweden.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
That sucks about the pickups. Also, I love the veneer and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Also, is it okay if we talked about Daisy Duke?

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Great job so far. Can't wait to see that spalt veneer. :)

Off topic... People who know a thing or two about history were seriously wrong. Watch the history channel or something.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I think my veneer project was worth it.

NunoComplete_0001.jpg

Oh god is that a walnut burl?

spilla

Reaction score
As much as i love natural finishes im really not that fond of plain basswood. Especially if it has green mineral spots.
I say go with the veneer... or stop sanding the front and keep the ash? veneer that ibanez have put on the guitar.

Heres a pic of a basswood guitar i stripped, it show those mineral spots quite well ... really wish id have kept ibanez's veneer on there, as soon as i sanded through it i regretted it.

Picture005a12.jpg

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
As much as i love natural finishes im really not that fond of plain basswood. Especially if it has green mineral spots.
I say go with the veneer... or stop sanding the front and keep the ash? veneer that ibanez have put on the guitar.

Ibanez puts basswood veneers on its alder guitars. Their basswood bodies dont use veneers.

spilla

Reaction score
Ibanez puts basswood veneers on its alder guitars. Their basswood bodies dont use veneers.

Ill have to disagree with you there, seems its pretty common to have veneers on basswood ibbys aswell. Ive even sanded through one myself!

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
OP, for the fretboard, I HIGHLY suggest using fyebings leather dye. Its great for this type of thing! Seal it up with a good, matte finished drying oil for best results.

Ill have to disagree with you there, seems its pretty common to have veneers on basswood ibbys aswell. Ive even sanded through one myself!

Probably just the sanding sealer... IF yours had a veneer on it, then it was an oddball. Im not guessing either, this is straight from the horses mouth at Ibanez :

"From Ibanez: The JEM7VWH "has a super thin 0.5mm basswood veneer on the top and back. We do this with all alder woods because otherwise the finish would settle into the grain and have lines like a strat does in it after a few weeks. We do this with only alder wood that has a solid or metallic color on it. Just to let you know."

edit: I've refinished DOZENS (at least) ibanez's, I've yet to come across one with a veneer over basswood.

oliviergus

Djentiver Gustafsson
Reaction score
Its kind of hard to get that fyebings leather dye in Sweden, but I will find it for sure.
And i'm skipping the veneer for now, becuase its easier and I really like the texture of the wood now.

I just have one simple question. I'm in need of a new potentiometer becuase the old one is to easy to turn. And my aggressive playing live and a easy turned knob wont be a good team...

Ive googled my ass off, and I still have no idea what potentiometer i'm going to get.. help?

spilla

Reaction score
Good plan, that grain is quite nice... no doubt bob123 is correct and you have a nice 2 piece basswood body. However dont be surprised if you sand the back and sides and see that is made from more than 2 pieces.

As far as audio pots go, you'll need a 500k Audio taper. Im pretty sure ibanez uses metric for their shafts, that what i used but i was replacing an aftermaket mini-pot. Gotoh makes a suitable replacement, unfortunately i can only find a link from an aus site but it may be of some help.

Guitar Parts - Australian Luthiers Supplies

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
Oliver, where in Sweden are you?? i have been a couple of times over there and i love your country :)

Specially i like Göteborg, and Stockholm is the most beautiful city i have ever seen.

On topic, i'd paint that guitar with the swedish flag, much like the guy from Ill Disposed has his guitar painted with the danish flag.

That or a flamed maple veneer and paint it a nice translucent color.

IMO, i can't stand another brown veneered guitar with body binding...it's been done to death.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Its kind of hard to get that fyebings leather dye in Sweden, but I will find it for sure.
And i'm skipping the veneer for now, becuase its easier and I really like the texture of the wood now.

I just have one simple question. I'm in need of a new potentiometer becuase the old one is to easy to turn. And my aggressive playing live and a easy turned knob wont be a good team...

Ive googled my ass off, and I still have no idea what potentiometer i'm going to get.. help?

For pots, go burns or evh (same difference to my understanding?). You want a logarithmic/volume potentiometer 500k (if it says "linear" you dont want it)

MrHelloGuitar

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned before, or if OP even knew when he got the guitar, but I'm pretty sure that's not an authentic Ibby body. Looks like a replacement.

spilla

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned before, or if OP even knew when he got the guitar, but I'm pretty sure that's not an authentic Ibby body. Looks like a replacement.

I didnt notice that, but i think your right.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
The treble horn was sanded too much. Aftermarket or not, doesn't matter a whole bunch. Basswood is cheap and this is a 2 peice which makes sense with every rg I've sanded down.

Id be FURIOUS if they lied about bkps.....

oliviergus

Djentiver Gustafsson
Reaction score
580846_10150946962602050_2102278231_n.jpg

I'm all done with the sanding.
Going to buy some stain tomorrow and try some coloring.

oliviergus

Djentiver Gustafsson
Reaction score
STAIN TIME!

I mixed the 2 stains that I got and this is what I ended up with:
473630_10150948421707050_1500057772_o.jpg

ICm5g.jpg

And this is the stains. A swedish stain called Herdin and the colors is mahogny and tar. And the letters and numbers stands for how much of each stain ofc.

Got a better pic, think i'm going with one of these:
3Uzhv.jpg

')