Ibanez 8 and comfortability

• Thread starter Briggs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
as it is, my rg7321 is comfy...:yesway:

but, this new 8 string looks great but, do I need big hands to play it? :scratch:

thats an aweful wide neck. :eek:

IBANEZRG2228-GK.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Try a 6-string bass. If you can play that comfortably, you shouldn't have problems with an 8-string.

I have medium-sized hands, and I can play my dad's 6-string Douglas fine, so as long as you don't have small hands, it shouldn't be an issue.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
I played my friends 6-string soundgear bass a few times and I actually found the neck to be not much wider than my RG7620s...
depends how high up the neck you are playing though the width-difference is bigger on the bass

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
I can't even think about putting my little hands on that neck. :(

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I played my friends 6-string soundgear bass a few times and I actually found the neck to be not much wider than my RG7620s...
depends how high up the neck you are playing though the width-difference is bigger on the bass

That's true as well; On a 6-string bass, I can play comfortably on the low B string all the way up to the 17th fret or so. Beyond that, though, the neck starts getting uncomfortably huge.

Also, you can pretty much forget about thumb-over-the-fretboard playing.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
anybody know what scale it is yet . im hoping for 27 or 30

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's going to be 29.25" just to throw everyone off :lol:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As someone who's actually played 8 strings it really is a minimal difference compared with the width of a 7 string, less than the difference from a 6 to a 7. Unless you're struggling to reach the low B on a 7 you'll be able to play an 8. Now, whether you can cope with the scale length is another kettle of fish...

Gabe777

Organic Anagram
Reaction score
you forget about the zoom difference, ibanez has different zoom on every picture to fit a certain area on the website so judging scale by merely looking at the picture is not accurate. you would probably have to message Jay on the ibanez forums for the info

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Even someone with small hands should have no problem if they use the classical guitar hand position - neck up high, wrist below neck, and thumb behind neck.
my 2¢

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I know, if 20 of us bet $100 apiece on what the scale length will be, then the winner can buy an 8 from Mike Sherman!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
you forget about the zoom difference, ibanez has different zoom on every picture to fit a certain area on the website so judging scale by merely looking at the picture is not accurate. you would probably have to message Jay on the ibanez forums for the info

Wow, I was wondering why the guitar had a 3.25" scale, I guess it's because it's just a small picture of the guitar :idea:

Sorry, couldn't resist :fawk:

Anyway, the Ibanez 8 in those pics does NOT look like a 30" guitar. Look at pictures of Meshuggah's 30" 8-strings and notice how far back the bridge is recessed in order to attain the 30" scale. In these production 8 photos, the bridge isn't as far back, leading me to believe that the production 8 will either be a 28 5/8 or 27" scale.

EDIT: Yup, that's case. Scroll down here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15728&page=42

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
As someone who's actually played 8 strings it really is a minimal difference compared with the width of a 7 string, less than the difference from a 6 to a 7. Unless you're struggling to reach the low B on a 7 you'll be able to play an 8. Now, whether you can cope with the scale length is another kettle of fish...

Me wanty fanned fretty.

Latest posts

')