Ibanez 8 String Out of This Swirled Swirl Project "Octaverse" RGA8 (plus RG7421 7)

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
mod edit: since you're clearly doing this commercially all of your build threads have to go in the dealers section

I've been a fan of that gorgeous 8 string Multiverse for a while now so... I decided to put together my own take on it. Since Out of this Swirled had one 8 string Swirled PAW body left I grabbed it. I already had an extra RGA 8 laying around that I was going to do a project on. Although I would love to keep it, I'm going to have to sell this one once it's complete.
I'm calling this the Octaverse. I still have to finish wetsanding the head stock so keep in mind the pics show it sanded with 1000 grit. I will go up to 2500, buff, and polish tomorrow. I removed the dot markers and installed florescent alternating green and pink inlay NOT decal please see close up. I was going to do an ebony or maple green and pink DNA fingerboard but I couldn't find anywhere to get a wide enough board to fit the super wide neck.

I'm going to install two black Dimarzio D Activator 8's. I would've got green but I already had the black one's in stock so . I do swirl guitars at my shop but since OOTS is closing up shop I figured it would be the only chance I had to build the Octaverse with one of his bodies. I have already started a second Octaverse with the RGA8 body that I will swirl, I'm still deciding on a theme for that one. I already cut the grip and side jack into it. I was hesitant to do the lion's claw because of the trem route not going through the body. It should look pretty interesting, I don't think I've seen an archtop Jem style body before.

The pics of the body where taken in my spray booth. In the back are a few of the other guitars that I'm currently working on. The one on the left is a hardtail RG7421 body that I did a PAW swirl on and cut a monkey grip. There's a DNA RG7620 to the right and it's kinda hard to see the one all the way to the left, but thats a Blue multi color I'm doing for a customer. I also have an RG520 Jem conversion that I'm working on.

The colors look pretty washed out in my flourescent lights at the shop but they are super bright in person. I'll add some more pictures tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the swirl theme for the next 8 string project? Also, what do you guys think about a lions claw on a RGA8? Would that work in your opinion or would it just look weird?
Do any of you guys know of someone who would make a fingerboard wide enough for an 8 string? It could be just a solid piece, unslotted as I can do that myself.

Anyways, heres some pics
100_9319.jpg

100_9320.jpg

100_9321.jpg

100_9322.jpg

100_9324.jpg

100_9325.jpg

100_9329.jpg

100_9333.jpg

100_9334.jpg

100_9335.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your response.
Any opinions on what I should do for the swirl theme for the next 8 string project? Also, what do you guys think about a lions claw on a RGA8? Would that work or would it just look weird?:hbang:

ahull123

Reaction score
very cool. I like the inlay color choices.

ET guitar does fretboards for these, that is where mine came from.

lions claw is a matter of personal choice, forget the "weird" part, do it if you want it. There is always going to be people who will pick it apart regardless. my only concern would be making sure that the bridge insert stays in the base of the trem cavity at the same height? unless you were going to route around it?

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. I just left out the center screw on my RGA8QM it was starting to back out when I got it. I don't have any problem with it staying in tune since I removed it.

BlackWinds10

Kick em in the nuts!
Reaction score
Hey mike, I wanted to thank you for the knobs and dots I ordered from you. Got them a few days ago, and they look great on my RG7620, this RG8 is looking great. Once I retire my RG i'll have you guys swirl it \m/

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
No problem, you should have enough in there if you wanted to do another guitar too. If you are ever interested in doing green dot inlay just let me know. I will give you a great price on the service.

ahull123

Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. I just left out the center screw on my RGA8QM it was starting to back out when I got it. I don't have any problem with it staying in tune since I removed it.

from what I understand, there is so much tension on the bridge, that if you leave the rear screw out, it will weaken the front insert and at the least will probably be hard to keep in tune as it will move around?, there is an issue with the bridge ripping that rear insert right out of the body. I would look it up, maybe remove the insert, and epoxy it back in. I think that insert is critical for bridge stability?

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/156427-rga8-bridge-anchor-actually-broke-where-can-i-find-replacement.html

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
Good to know. I just went through that entire thread. What a mess that was. I'll try using some 3200 psi epoxy that should hold it. Now, I play my rga8qm a lot and I don't have any trouble with it staying in tune. But I don't want any future problems so I'm going to just fix it now.
Thanks for the insight

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Reaction score
For your enjoyment. Here are the pictures of the completed product. I only wish I could keep it.:hbang:
Out Of This Swirled Swirl, Area 51 RG2228 Body, Livewire Guitars Inlays Head stock and Clear Coat.
100_9370.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9366.jpg

100_9381.jpg

100_9378.jpg

100_9387.jpg

100_9380.jpg

100_9362.jpg

XxXPete

Reaction score
is this still available? checked the bay and it didnt look like it was still up?

Latest posts