Ibanez AX7221 - is it shite?

• Thread starter Jan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Reaction score
Ibanez AX7221 is actually a mahogany-bodied guitar and it's really cheap. I thought I might buy it as a backup to my RG 7421XL and then possibly equipp it with a SD JB Sh4... But isn't the very guitar crappy? I mean for the price...
Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
People really love the sound of those things. I kind of like how they look, too. I remember a thread on here awhile ago where people were saying how great of a deal they are.

THE VILE

Deafening Silence
Reaction score
If memory serves me the AX7221/7521 was the first 7 string I ever put my hands on. I don't know the spec's off the top of my head but I do remember the width of the neck being rather wide compared to other Ibanez 7's. At that time the width was the only gripe I had about it.

mefrommiddleearth

the abominabal poop
Reaction score
there pickups have a bad reputation they are reputedly neck heavy there made in china whether or not that makes you think it's likley to be bad quality is a matter of opinion some people think there ugly and the neck on them is reputedly not as good as the AX7521 please take note that I'm mearly repeating what I've seen writen and you really need to get a hold of one yourself and talk to some people that have owned them

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's actually not bad. It was the first 7 I bought and I sold it to get the 7421 I used to have. Then I actually won another one in a contest and sold it because I had already purchased my 7420. I thought it would be a good idea to keep it as a backup but I like the Wizard neck too much to keep it.

ohmanthisiscool

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
The AX7221 was the first 7 I ever bought. I loved it and then hated it for some reason that escapes me. I do remeber it being neck heavy but I like the toggle switch Tom Morello action it had. I sold it and now regret it because I want a hardtail 7, only thing is that its a 24.5 scale and I want a hardtail so I can mess with some lower 7 string tunings. oh well

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I never cared for the shape of the AXs and I remember playing one that was neck heavy way back when they first came out. I later tried out a friend of mine's AX 7 and I started to like it a little more. They're not all that bad.:yesway:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
if I were to buy one it would definitely be a AX7521, its made in Japan and looks a bit more better IMO.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought one here off Rev2010 for a backup and it's actually pretty cool. I could only guess how bad the set up was new but besides it needing a little neck shimming, it's fairly solid. I can't comment on the stock pickups, mine had a JB7 in it, which rocks.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I had one for about a month.

--The neck was a baseball bat.
--Upper fret access was non-existent.
--It neck dove like a bitch.
--The pickups sucked.
--The tuners were crap.
--The 24.75" scale made it sound too muddy.

Aaron

Reaction score

--The pickups sucked.
--The tuners were crap.

all the ingridiants for poop; 24.5" scale wtf?

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
there pickups have a bad reputation they are reputedly neck heavy there made in china whether or not that makes you think it's likley to be bad quality is a matter of opinion some people think there ugly and the neck on them is reputedly not as good as the AX7521 please take note that I'm mearly repeating what I've seen writen and you really need to get a hold of one yourself and talk to some people that have owned them

Are you sure? :scratch: I didn't think Ibanez had any chinese guitars..

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
more likely indonesia, but i know they make some of their acoustics in china.

siggy14

Banned
Reaction score
And he got the guitar from me, basicaly I loved the tone, hated the baseball bat. Neck dive was never a big thing for me, i thought it was balanced ok, could have been a little bit better.

--The pickups sucked.
--The tuners were crap.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i dont see why it'd be bad. it'd be like every other non-handmade guitar out there, as its made in the same place by the same machines. I'd get one, if the body style is your thing.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I purchased one aproximately a month ago as a "back-up" guitar. Admittedly, the pickups are miserable, but the balance problem is remarkably simple to resolve...
All you have to do is remove the strap button from the upper wing and screw it directly into the center of the four neck bolts(a failure to do so is just lazy or uninformed, I estimate it is a 2-15 minute procedure, and it will cure neck dives outright). A point should be made of the fact that it has 22 frets, and enables an arguably better tone if you invest some into new pickups. If you are to feel the neck too wide and the electronics to any degree difficult for you to exchange, it will never produce satisfactory results, but otherwise I feel it is a perfectly sound decision.
Appearances are always a matter of taste, but I enjoy its aesthetic, it comparable to a Gibson Ripper Bass if you are familiar, but most compare it to an SG for its contours or a double cut Les Paul for its silhouette. The metallic grey you most frequently see it in isn't particularly flattering in photography, but it is no bother to me(though I will be custom painting mine and giving it a Les Paul pickguard).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
all the ingridiants for poop; 24.5" scale wtf?

It's what Gibson uses, which is what this is targeted at.

Is it crap? sure, but it's also dirt cheap, and if you're just looking for a cheap backup axe for rhythm guitar then one of these with a JB in the bridge probably isn't half bad - it's certianly up there with anything else ou'll find for the price. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')