Ibanez body shape opinions

• Thread starter gunch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Simple premise for a thread

To people with lots of experience with these body shapes (RGA, RGD, RG, S) Regardless of tonewood, make and model, which shape/carve did you like best, which made you want to play the guitar for extended periods of time?

I myself have held in my hands an S and an RG. Eventually I want to get one of each but for now I want to hear your personal experiences.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I'm an S series whore, so I vote for the S. But I like the others, too; they just don't have the ergonomics (or, at this point, the uniqueness) of the S.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
The S series are super light and comfortable, but the rg, rga and rgd series sound like they have more meat to them. Cause they do lol The only real difference i can hear is between an s and any other ibby model. The RGD RGA and RG are very similar.

But feel wise, the RGDs i have tried have all been matte finish(cause they all are) and i hate how matte finish feels on the underside of my arm for some reason. I have only played cheaper RGA guitars and they feel the same as RGs to me. I own two rgs and couldnt be happier with them.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
1. S- super comfy, lightweight
2. RGA- just as comfy, just a little bulkier
3. RG- Love the arm contour, just bigger and bulkier than the other two.

Have yet to play an rgd

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
The only guitar I've played until my fingers were almost bleeding is my Universe, so that would be the RG shape.

I like the RGA shape the most though.

I never liked the plastic housing thingy of the 5 way switch of the S series, and the RGD's cutaways are a bit too anorexic to my taste.

tedtan

Reaction score
Most S series models made since the mid 90's are pretty lightweight like people are saying, but the older ones from the late 80's and early 90's are not. I have a couple from that time period that are in the same heavyweight weight class as Les Pauls. :lol:

Chuck

Reaction score
Yeah thread should be a poll, but RGA. It's actually a good bit thinner than your standard RG, and just stupid comfortable. The arch-top is glorious and just feels "right". Of course the standard RG shape is a true classic but the RGA is an improved design, in my opinion. I also like the S but its not pointy enough :evil:

Oh and I do currently own one of each. A S470, RGA121 and RG550. My RGA is the lightest by far. It's roughly 6.5lbs, very light

Have yet to play a RGD

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
As a player, the RG's generally win in my book. For comfort and classic styling, I lean on my sabers. If you cant decide... GET THEM BOTH! :hbang:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I love the RG, RGA, and S, equally. :)

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
RG and RGD. RG's in general are just a player's and shredder's guitar and the RGD is basically the super-modified-to-be-way-more-comfy shape.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
I love the RGD shape, the cutaway is huge.
I've always loved the RGA to look at. havent really played one enough.
I'm slowly warming to the RG, but the S is freakishly thin!

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
love the rga; if they made one with the thinness of the S i would probably own 12 of them

')