Ibanez Edge Pro 7 w/Piezo mod is possible!!!

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I see... well, here's a comparison pic if that helps any:

I'd greatly appreciate the diagram, thank you.

you, my friend have just given me an awesome idea. What if one were to, instead of using the floyd rose arm assembly for a floyd rose mod, use the ZR assembly, as you will not have the issues with the arm being too high

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunn

Reaction score
What is the Floyd Rose mod you are talking about? Is it something to do with replacing the arm socket? Hmmm...

Can you elaborate???

Thanx,

shotgunn

you, my friend have just given me an awesome idea. What if one were to, instead of using the floyd rose arm assembly for a floyd rose mod, use the ZR assembly, as you will not have the issues with the arm being too high

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
What is the Floyd Rose mod you are talking about? Is it something to do with replacing the arm socket? Hmmm...

Can you elaborate???

Thanx,

shotgunn

yes, exactly. an OFR arm socket is a direct replacement for the edge pro bridges. it's been done a bunch of times, there are pics in the modded 7620's/whatever it is thread

shotgunn

Reaction score
Oh, cool... I personally would do the exact opposite. I highly prefer the Lo Pro Edge arm socket over the OFR socket. I may put a Lo Pro socket on my OFR!!! LOL!!!

Different strokes...

shotgunn

yes, exactly. an OFR arm socket is a direct replacement for the edge pro bridges. it's been done a bunch of times, there are pics in the modded 7620's/whatever it is thread

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Oh, cool... I personally would do the exact opposite. I highly prefer the Lo Pro Edge arm socket over the OFR socket. I may put a Lo Pro socket on my OFR!!! LOL!!!

Different strokes...

shotgunn

lol. another possibility is to put an Edge III socket into an Edge Pro. that way you can manually adjust the tightness. someone needs to confirm the dimensions on this though

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
To shotgunn. Can you get the Graphtech's Ghost inserts instead of the L.R. Baggs for an OFR? And pardon my ignorance, but why only one MIDI Hexpander won't be full MIDI? Thanks!

shotgunn

Reaction score
Actually, I do use the GraphTech inserts for some of my piezo mods. However, for the Edge Pro the GraphTech inserts are way too tall. They are .250" tall where as the L.R. Baggs inserts are .150".

I can mill a deeper pocket in the Edge Pro saddles. This would defeat the purpose of the Edge Pro mod. The Edge Pro mod is a DIY mod. I intended for people to not have to send me their parts.

A Hexpander (hex=6) only handles 6 strings, as does every guitar synth ever made. For full MIDI on more than 6 strings you need 2 Hexpanders and two synths.

Thanx,

shotgunn

To shotgunn. Can you get the Graphtech's Ghost inserts instead of the L.R. Baggs for an OFR? And pardon my ignorance, but why only one MIDI Hexpander won't be full MIDI? Thanks!

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
Actually, I do use the GraphTech inserts for some of my piezo mods. However, for the Edge Pro the GraphTech inserts are way too tall. They are .250" tall where as the L.R. Baggs inserts are .150".

I can mill a deeper pocket in the Edge Pro saddles. This would defeat the purpose of the Edge Pro mod. The Edge Pro mod is a DIY mod. I intended for people to not have to send me their parts.

A Hexpander (hex=6) only handles 6 strings, as does every guitar synth ever made. For full MIDI on more than 6 strings you need 2 Hexpanders and two synths.

Thanx,

shotgunn
I understand. I would really love to have midi capability on my guitar but two MIDI connectors is just too many routings at least for me XD. I have an USA made body exactly as an Ibanez JEM but seven strings and the the input is angled so two many stuff there will kill the good looks. I'll also put an OFR there even if the cavity is made for Lo-Pro's and Edge Pro and a OFR will look smaller but is way easier to find an OFR than any Ibanez trem and I kind of like the OFR's more. This mod in ZR's would be awesome, but looking at it the only place I see that can be milled to accommodate the insert is way too small. Also, what do you think about string response of the Graphtech saddle inserts? Because they are string savers and I've always been kind of reluctant to use any other material that is not metal in the bridge because I think response is better this way, maybe it's just me I don't know hehehehehe! Sorry for all the newbie questions.

shotgunn

Reaction score
Actually, I have a customers guitar in my possession right now. He has a ZR trem and I have put piezos on it...

Here is a sneak preview...

ZR1.jpg

Search ZR piezo mod here at ss.org you'll see the entire thread.

The 13-pin outputs do not affect the angled output jack. You can always have the MIDI on only 6 of the 7 strings.

As for the sound of the GraphTech inserts I highly prefer them to the L.R. Baggs, but that's me.

They sound amazing!!!

Thanx,

shotgunn

I understand. I would really love to have midi capability on my guitar but two MIDI connectors is just too many routings at least for me XD. I have an USA made body exactly as an Ibanez JEM but seven strings and the the input is angled so two many stuff there will kill the good looks. I'll also put an OFR there even if the cavity is made for Lo-Pro's and Edge Pro and a OFR will look smaller but is way easier to find an OFR than any Ibanez trem and I kind of like the OFR's more. This mod in ZR's would be awesome, but looking at it the only place I see that can be milled to accommodate the insert is way too small. Also, what do you think about string response of the Graphtech saddle inserts? Because they are string savers and I've always been kind of reluctant to use any other material that is not metal in the bridge because I think response is better this way, maybe it's just me I don't know hehehehehe! Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
Actually, I have a customers guitar in my possession right now. He has a ZR trem and I have put piezos on it...

Here is a sneak preview...

ZR1.jpg

Search ZR piezo mod here at ss.org you'll see the entire thread.

The 13-pin outputs do not affect the angled output jack. You can always have the MIDI on only 6 of the 7 strings.

As for the sound of the GraphTech inserts I highly prefer them to the L.R. Baggs, but that's me.

They sound amazing!!!

Thanx,

shotgunn
Oh! That's absolutely beautiful! What a nice job, I definitely want that on my S XD. I'm pretty sure you'll be hearing from me soon for two jobs, an OFR and a ZR, hell yeah! Awesome job...

M4rksman

Reaction score
Alright, just made payment for a 7-string edge pro stereo kit, cant wait to get it on my 7! ;) You rock, dude. :hbang:

chimpinatux

Reaction score
Ok, after reading through this entire thread im very excited, but still not totally clued up on whether what i want is possible.

Would it be possible to hook up piezos in a 1527 through to a 13 pin output (il doubtless be using this sort of thing for synths rather than acoustic sounds) and would all the electronics fit inside the electronics cavity there is with no extra routing?

shotgunn

Reaction score
Yes, that is totally possible. However, I would (or you, if you choose to DIY) definitely have to do some routing. Not much though. PM me if you want more details. I am an authorized GraphTech dealer. I can get all the parts you need. All parts are brand new w/ full warranty.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Ok, after reading through this entire thread im very excited, but still not totally clued up on whether what i want is possible.

Would it be possible to hook up piezos in a 1527 through to a 13 pin output (il doubtless be using this sort of thing for synths rather than acoustic sounds) and would all the electronics fit inside the electronics cavity there is with no extra routing?

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
So glad I found this thread! Looking forward to having this done on my project 1527M. I've forever coveted the old RG 7-strings that had piezos installed.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, this thread!

Do you still do this one the side? I remember just being floored by the cool stuff you were doing, like that RG2228 you modded.

Got any pics/vids of guitars that you've modded since?

shotgunn

Reaction score
Wow, this thread!

Do you still do this one the side? I remember just being floored by the cool stuff you were doing, like that RG2228 you modded.

Got any pics/vids of guitars that you've modded since?

Yes, I have been fairly busy the last 3.5 years with this. So far I have (MIDI) modded 2 RG-2228's and one Schecter Loomis 7. I have sold several dozen of these DIY kits all over the world. Ironically I have had (literally) only TWO local customers.

Here is a mod I did on my own EBMM JP-6. Too many pics to copy paste individually. So here is the link to the entire album.

EBMM JP Piezo Mod pictures by shotgunndunn - Photobucket

This was an 'interesting' mod...

Slide Guitar pictures by shotgunndunn - Photobucket

OFR piezo mod. I used the GraphTech FR ghost saddles, but I had to machine the base plate to allow the wires to travel through...

OFR PIcs pictures by shotgunndunn - Photobucket

Here is some pics of the Loomis mod...

Russ-OFR6.jpg

Russ-OFR5.jpg

Russ-OFR1.jpg

Russ-OFR4.jpg

Russ-OFR3.jpg

Russ-OFR2.jpg

Russ-Loomis8.jpg

Russ-Loomis7.jpg

Russ-Loomis6.jpg

Russ-Loomis5.jpg

Russ-Loomis4.jpg

Russ-Loomis3.jpg

Russ-Loomis2.jpg

Russ-Loomis1.jpg

Loomis-WoodworkComplete13.jpg

Loomis-WoodworkComplete12.jpg

Loomis-WoodworkComplete11.jpg

Loomis-WoodworkComplete10.jpg

Loomis-WoodworkComplete09.jpg

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, so you modded a non-piezo JP6 and added the piezo functionality yourself? Awesome!

Believe me when I say this: if I lived in the US (alas, Canadian), I would have shipped you my RG1527 to mod back in 2009. Love your work. :yesway:

')