Ibanez edge pro replacement options?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a longitme ibanez user and never had to replace the Edge Pro on my RG1570 even after nearly 18 years... but I regrettably sold that one.
Now I have the chance to buy another one, but the owner already told me he beat the crap out of that guitar and I am confident it will need a tremolo replacement.

An OEM Edge Pro is easily $290... and a Gotoh GE1996T is $100... arguably of same quality.
I'd spend the $290 if I must, but I wonder if there are other aftermarket options for me to entertain?

(I'm lefty, so lightly used parts might not be the option for me)
I saw the Floyd Rose 1000 ... seems promising, but I don't know if they make it in lefty... I'll ask

Am I stuck with replacing the Edge Pro with OEM parts then?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Halffarmer

Reaction score
I hope it is ok to link to another forum but Jemsite has a table describing which tremolos fit on which Ibanez guitars and the Edge Trems can be pretty much replaced with any Floyd style bridge on the market.
https://www.jemsite.com/threads/tre...ference-chart-master-reference-thread.157993/

Then there is a guide on how to sharpen the knife edges if they are too blunt:
https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

Also, Ibanez happily sells you almost any single bridge part you might need to fix the trem, but that's probably not a lot cheaper than a new one if you need multiple parts.

Reaction score
A LoPro should fit without major assle, I think without re-routing the cavity

The Edge Pro, however has the advantage of becoming a piezo loaded bridge...

rorrein

Reaction score
I would choose the 1996T, (and I did on my RG470). Excellent quality and reasonably priced.
LoPro if you got the money, I woulden't bother with a new Edge Pro

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would choose the 1996T, (and I did on my RG470). Excellent quality and reasonably priced.
LoPro if you got the money, I woulden't bother with a new Edge Pro
I think I read that the Gotoh 1996 is larger than the cavity of the Edge Pro, so I don't want to get into this :)

')