Ibanez Enthusiasts; consultation, please.

• Thread starter JaxoBuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
And English enthusiasts because I'm unsure of my use of a semicolon in the title. :lol:

Anyway, hello gentleman. I was recently offered this 70's Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul on a trade (for my xbox one, of all things). The obvious answer is guitar>xbox, I know. But, monetarily, where do I sit with this guitar? Trade value wise, mostly. What's the history?

Thanks, fellas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

max3000

Reaction score
I usually see these anywhere between 300-600 bucks depending on the condition. It's supposed to be a fantastic guitar. Have you played it?

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
I haven't. It's local, so I'm going to this week. I would end up trying to trade it around for a 7 and that is my main motivation for doing so. That is if I don't fall in love with it.

TRaoul

K.o.R - Official
Reaction score
Headstock bears the old Ibanez logo. So this guitar is from the better part of the Ibanez history in terms of craftsmanship and overall quality.
I know Ibanez was sued for counterfeit for their LesPaul style guitar in the early 80s, as I see it, this headstock looks pretty familiar (Gibson? haha).
=> the maple fretboard and design of the knobs show that this guitar was made before 1980.

Here is a photo I found from the Ibanez catalogue from 1973.
http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1973-3/03.jpg

My take on the question : if it is in good shape.. GO FOR IT !

Last edited:

fogcutter

Reaction score
You can buy an Xbox One anywhere. You're not gonna see very many of those things, though.

My two cents: It obviously depends on how it plays. But I would get one of those Seymour Duncan SLUG pups, put .013s on it, and tune it down to something hellish. Make it an Ultimate Doom weapon. Do you own a Druid robe? ;-)

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
Headstock bears the old Ibanez logo. So this guitar is from the better part of the Ibanez history in terms of craftsmanship and overall quality.
I know Ibanez was sued for counterfeit for their LesPaul style guitar in the early 80s, as I see it, this headstock looks pretty familiar (Gibson? haha).
=> the maple fretboard and design of the knobs show that this guitar was made before 1980.

Here is a photo I found from the Ibanez catalogue from 1973.
http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1973-3/03.jpg

My take on the question : if it is in good shape.. GO FOR IT !

It doesn't have a serial number, so it was made between '71-'73. That's all I know. It's a bolt-on.

You can buy an Xbox One anywhere. You're not gonna see very many of those things, though.

My two cents: It obviously depends on how it plays. But I would get one of those Seymour Duncan SLUG pups, put .013s on it, and tune it down to something hellish. Make it an Ultimate Doom weapon. Do you own a Druid robe? ;-)

My thoughts exactly. To all of it. Druid robe included. :lol::bowdown:

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
I've gotten so many different appraisals. Most of which I would consider reliable sources. One guy gave me an estimate of $800 minimum. Another, $700. But I'm hearing from other people $350-500. My only issue with this is resale, even if I love it and never want to sell, value is an ordeal.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've owned a handful or these, and if it was maintained well it'll be a great guitar. Don't expect this to jump in value though, the only reason folks are giving you high quotes is that in "collectors condition" these can command around $1k if sold to collectors.

If this is a players model, which it likely is, even in great shape $500 would be a stretch.

While this is from the 70's, a time when companies like Ibanez were making Les Pauls better than Gibson, it's not one of the SUPER desirable "exact spec" models, the stuff that really got them in trouble in the late 70's/early 80's.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
It depends how much of an enthusiast you are. This would be an awesome piece of Ibanez history to own.. but I'm guessing you already have a guitar, would it be worth it to trade your xbox one for? Considering you want a 7 anyway, the only way I see that it's worth it, is if you are crazy about Ibanez and just want something for "collectible" purposes.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
History aside, that guitar looks kickass. How often does one come across a natural finished LP style guitar?

mrmeangreen

Reaction score
You can always buy a new xbox but if it doesn't feel good to you then take a pass. It would be a great collectors item though, not many pre lawsuit genuine ibbys these days.

Ironside

Reaction score
And English enthusiasts because I'm unsure of my use of a semicolon in the title. :lol:

Anyway, hello gentleman. I was recently offered this 70's Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul on a trade (for my xbox one, of all things). The obvious answer is guitar>xbox, I know. But, monetarily, where do I sit with this guitar? Trade value wise, mostly. What's the history?

Thanks, fellas.

I think your semicolon is fine.

How to use a semicolon - The Oatmeal

mr coffee

Reaction score
Just me, I'd snag that axe up in a heartbeat. It reminds me of the one that got away - a similar Ibanez Paul copy in a pawn shop when I was younger. I went back to buy and it was gone. :( I don't know what resale or trade value would be, but those guitars are getting harder to find on the open market, and most of them were great guitars.

-m

')