Ibanez Genesis Collection

• Thread starter Whammy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Many of the comments in this thread lead me to wonder if Ibanez is becoming the new Fender or Gibson, where a substantial portion of their customer base only wants reissues of old guitars, and hates anything that deviates from the "golden age" specs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Many of the comments in this thread lead me to wonder if Ibanez is becoming the new Fender or Gibson, where a substantial portion of their customer base only wants reissues of old guitars, and hates anything that deviates from the "golden age" specs.

Most of their new offerings aren't guitars that I really dig. If they released a bunch of new guitars with Lo-pro Edge bridges, I'd probably jump on them. I've played very few new Ibanez guitars that really make me want to buy them.

Not really sure what "golden age" specs are here. A lot of guys consider the lo-pro to be one of the best bridges ever made and it's seldom found on Ibanez guitars now. Reissuing stuff with it would be awesome. Other than that, some guys like the square block heel and the ridiculously thin necks (which are significantly thinner than modern Ibanez guitars).

I'd like to see a re-release of the RG565 - made in Japan quality, great hardware and very cool colors. Ibanez doesn't really make something that fits that bill (the RG4...whatever isn't a 565).

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
We do need to see some good solid colors, for real. I am falling in love with the edge zero II on my 7420, but I would love to see the lo-pro on these :yesway:. Though Ibanez is a far cry from the usual GAS inducing material for me, The RG is really comfortable. Now if they would bring some more color the the prestige 7's.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score

Well, I've always thought that if Ibanez ever made me a sig (in my fantasy world) that I'd ask for one of their bass body shapes instead of an RG shape. That'd be similar to an Artfield, which is why I posted that image. But I'd rather have the custom shop guitar with the bass body instead, so I'm really not obsessed with their vintage stuff.

7stringDemon

Reaction score

I don't know that it's exactly that. At least not on here. Jemsite? Yeah :lol:
But most here love the old stuff and the new together. I, for one, love 80's fluorescent RG's but the new Prestige's and stuff really float my boat.

And the RGD's do MUCH more than float it!

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
considering the usa site doesn't have this listed, I believe we will be left out in the cold regardless.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score

I doubt it's really THAT substantial. There's always a select group that wants reissues but the biggest consumer base still goes for the newer models. Else their RGD's/Premium's and 7/8-lines wouldn't be this popular.

rikomaru

Reaction score
that artfield looks pretty slick. it reminds me of a bass, and that i dig hard. i can't believe that none of the 50 knobs ans switches are piezo though :(

Whammy

Reaction score
As awesome as the Artfield series is I doubt it will be a re-issue :(

The neck joint is an AANJ and they seem to be pushing the Tilt Joint in their teaser image.

That being said I would love this guitar. Bubinga body :yum: That thing would match my Warwick bass :)

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
For me the golden era and what I would liek to see is more:
Artist (also doubleneck), Musician, Artfield, Destroyer, Iceman.

Those are classics.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
can we hope for a Maxxas reissue?
I would really REALLY love to see that! It was way ahead of its time back in 1987..1989.

As awesome as the Artfield series is I doubt it will be a re-issue
I think that depends on the model - the AFD45 would be tough to sell today but the more PRS-related AFD25 or AFD5 might perform better, but that's just my opinion.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
that artfield looks pretty slick. it reminds me of a bass, and that i dig hard. i can't believe that none of the 50 knobs ans switches are piezo though :(
It does resemble the Soundgear bass shape, that's for sure. And there's no piezo whatsoever (would be cool though - HQ trem with piezos...). The only active part is the booster circuit on the AFD45. As for the switches, it's not that complicated:

1x 3-way mini switch for pickup selection
1x mini switch for coil-tapping neck pickup
1x mini switch for activating boost circuit

Apart from that, the AFD45 has

1x volume pot
1x tone pot
1x 6-way rotary switch for pickup selection and coil-splitting

(Sorry for OT)

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
^nothing from any of the dealers Yet. The Japanese ibby site doesn't give an exact date just Autumn 2013.

')