Ibanez GRG121DX vs ESP LTD TE 200. It's that different?

crdpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm coming back to playing guitar after a 10 year hiatus.

I want a hard tail guitar with two humbuckers and i stumbled on these two that are available here in my country.

Is there a big difference in build quality between an Ibanez GRG121DX and Esp Ltd TE 200?

The Ibanez is R$600 (112 USD) cheaper (i live in Brazil, everything is expensive here) so if both are absolutely the same low tier quality with no big differences i will buy the Ibanez and upgrade the pickups in the future.

I will play in my bedroom through an Yamaha THR10. I play mostly metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
Price difference in USA is actually 2x, Ibanez $199 LTD $399

The LTD should be roughly on Ibanez 300-series level imho

If you're seeking a cheapie to play metal on, though, your best bet is the lowend Jackson Dinky, in either 6 or 7 strings.

crdpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Price difference in USA is actually 2x, Ibanez $199 LTD $399

The LTD should be roughly on Ibanez 300-series level imho

If you're seeking a cheapie to play metal on, though, your best bet is the lowend Jackson Dinky, in either 6 or 7 strings.
Do you think the Dinky JS12 is better than the Ibanez? It is R$100 cheaper.

The reason i'm more inclined to buy the Ibanez (or the ESP LTD) is because of the hard tail bridge. I don't like tremolo or floating.

Adieu

Reaction score
I was actually mostly referring to JS22-7 ($199 like the Ibanez in USA) or JS32-7 ($399 like the LTD in USA)

Both hardtail

crdpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was actually mostly referring to JS22-7 ($199 like the Ibanez in USA) or JS32-7 ($399 like the LTD in USA)

Both hardtail
I don't want a 7 string. The problem is that i live in Brazil and 1 dollar is ~R$5 here.

I found a Schecter Telecaster Elite Pete Townshend used for a good price. I don't know anything about Schecter tho... is it good?

Adieu

Reaction score
I don't want a 7 string.

Welcome to SEVENSTRING.org

You'll fit right in here.... oddly enough, not kidding

PS seven strings is highly optional, but you HAVE to be a liberal though. Populists and conservatives shall not pass here.

crdpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is the section about standard 6 strings guitar.

Found a Ibanez RG351DX used (gibraltar fixed bridge) for the same price as the cheap one. I think i will get this.

Zhysick

Reaction score
This is the section about standard 6 strings guitar.

Found a Ibanez RG351DX used (gibraltar fixed bridge) for the same price as the cheap one. I think i will get this.

I will get an LTD200 series over ANY cheap Ibanez ANY DAY. I will probably get an LTD 200 even over an Ibanez Prestige unless I have played both and the Prestige really plays the way I like it...

The LTD 200 is giving you more bang for the buck if both are new. Compared to the used Ibanez... probably about the same quality but it will depend on how well conserved and taken care of is the Ibanez. With a new guitar you get guarantee and all that and that could be important (for me it is, nowadays I don't fucking care to fix anything on the guitar by myself: if it is not right from the shop I just send it back).

At the end is up to you, but LTD200 guitars are great guitars, solid construction and nice feeling... if the neck and bridge and all specs are what you are looking for.

The neck of an Ibanez and an LTD is VERY different in feel so... That's a very important and personal point.

crdpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will get an LTD200 series over ANY cheap Ibanez ANY DAY. I will probably get an LTD 200 even over an Ibanez Prestige unless I have played both and the Prestige really plays the way I like it...

The LTD 200 is giving you more bang for the buck if both are new. Compared to the used Ibanez... probably about the same quality but it will depend on how well conserved and taken care of is the Ibanez. With a new guitar you get guarantee and all that and that could be important (for me it is, nowadays I don't fucking care to fix anything on the guitar by myself: if it is not right from the shop I just send it back).

At the end is up to you, but LTD200 guitars are great guitars, solid construction and nice feeling... if the neck and bridge and all specs are what you are looking for.

The neck of an Ibanez and an LTD is VERY different in feel so... That's a very important and personal point.
Thanks! Yeah I think I will get the LTD. I find it prettier too and from the reviews and videos I saw, I prefer it over the Ibanez.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want a 7 string. The problem is that i live in Brazil and 1 dollar is ~R$5 here.

I found a Schecter Telecaster Elite Pete Townshend used for a good price. I don't know anything about Schecter tho... is it good?

It's good and probably better built than the cheaper alternatives.

Zhysick

Reaction score

Shit, I passed up this.

Well, between the Schecter PT and the LTD200... I would probably take the Schecter. Even thou I love LTD that Schecter is lovely. It all depends on aesthetics and if the Schecter is in good shape and not abused after all.

Latest posts