Ibanez guy having trouble adapting to other guitars

• Thread starter Nahkaparoni
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't know if any of you ever run into this issue I'm having. I've been playing Ibanez guitars forever, my first real electric guitar was an RG270 and maybe 8/10 guitars I've bought since then have been Ibbys. The thing is, I just got an LTD H-1007 which I posted an NGD of, but I can't get it to feel as good as my RG1527. The finish is perfect, maybe a bit better than on my RG1527, the tone is amazing and on top of all that it's a joy to look at. True eye candy. But something doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong the guitar is comfortable to play and all, but I don't know if I'm feeling it. I hate myself for that as the LTD is a great instrument.

What do you guys think; give it more time or sell it and buy another Ibanez? :D

Here's a photo I already posted in my NGD thread:
LTDAwesome.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Try playing something different than what you might play when you first pick up an ibby. Sometimes you have to approach the instrument a little differently (even if it's purely psychological) to be able to really appreciate it.

A Les Paul feels practically alien next to a strat, but they're both awesome for different reasons.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
Try playing something different than what you might play when you first pick up an ibby. Sometimes you have to approach the instrument a little differently (even if it's purely psychological) to be able to really appreciate it.

A Les Paul feels practically alien next to a strat, but they're both awesome for different reasons.

Having owned both Les Paul and Strat style guitars I find the difference between them to be big enough to to be able to approach them as two very different instruments. However, tried that with the LTD and first it felt really good but now I'm just going to my Ibanez all the time. Which sucks because I really don't know why. I don't have anything against the TOM bridge which some may dislike, the neck profile is good, not as slim as the Ibanez but I've never had problems with any neck so it can't be that.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
That's the thing, I pick it up, enjoy it for 30min but end up going back to the RG1527. That happens every time. And every time I just feel the Ibanez to vibe better. Maybe I just have to put the LTD up for grabs and try to trade it for some Ibby.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. It could. One of my favorite things about the RG1527 is that I can feel really "close to it", like it's an extension of my creativity. (what creativity? :D)

Maybe it would be better not to think about it too much and just get rid of the LTD before I get second thoughts.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
It's kind of a mixed bag as far as I see it. It's not great to be stuck on one kind of guitar, yet it sucks making yourself jam on something you're not comfortable with. I'd think jam on it either 'tip you get a a better deal within arms reach or you love it. Unless it's something you could never connect with on a musical level. Then it's got to go.

The only reason I say give it more of a shot is that you may find it has some strengths in certain areas that other guitars may not have. Ultimately it's up to the player though and as I said, if you can't connect with it at all then let it go.

Stangstag

Reaction score
Its gotta be the fact that your LTD has a set-thru neck and not a bolt-on. That makes the guitar feel so much different. I just got my first ever bolt-on guitar and it does feel really weird.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
Dude i totally feel you....
i have the same with my ibby... i just don't feel it.
The premiums are great instruments and they play well, but i don't feel it compared to some other guitars I've played...

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
I can say it definitely sound better for chugging riffs than the RG. And maybe sounds a bit fatter aswell. I think one of the things I dont like is the string spacing. It feels more narrow. Helps with some stuff but tapping feels a bit trickier compared to the RG.

It's not as much not being able to connect with the guitar as feeling so much more at home with Ibanez because that's all I've ever really played. I have other sixes aswell like a strat, explorer and an SG and I don't have the same issue with those.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
If you don't go and pick up the LTD by instinct to write stuff, record stuff etc..then I'd just get rid of it.

Datura

Reaction score
I think you'll definitely get used to it with time, but if you're already fully satisfied with Ibanez then there isn't really much point in getting used to the new.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
I went thru something similar when I switched from Ibanez to LTD as well. I had an ART120 that I had played almost to the ground for about a year and then on a whim I got my first EC401. Just the difference in neck angle threw me completely off. I couldn't riff properly and pinch harmonics were impossible. After a couple of months I got used to the new angle and then I sold the Ibanez. I only have LTDs now.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
I have played for about 12 or 13 years and haven't really had any problems playing different guitars. I guess I'm gonna give the ltd a week or two more to impress me before I throw it out the window. :D

smfcbow

Reaction score
Im a ibby player, mostly 6's but still 6/8 of my guitars I have owned where ibbys until I bought a PRS SE. At first I hated it. I had no idea why but I did. Now it's grown on me more and more. I threw a Duncan in it and now it's my main guitar. I still love my ax7521 and and RG's but now that I love a guitar that's not a ibby I can accept others more then a used too.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
The neck profiles on that LTD and on your Ibanez are completely different, plus one is neck though and the other is a bolt, so I'd put my money on it being the neck that is making you eel that way.
Give it some time until your hand and playing style adjust to the new neck and then see. Give it an open mind, b/c if you keep thinking "I just dont get this guitar" you never will!

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
Yeah obviously that's a huge difference. But I didn't have this issue when I got my Schecter Loomis which makes me all "lol wtf".

')