ibanez headless qx527pb 7-string + Lace Deathbucker wiring??

• Thread starter Stanislav
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stanislav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dear All!
I am a pianist, who loves metal and now, being 43 year old learns guitar.
Any help will be very appreciated. I have an Ibanez qx527pb 7-string guitar and decided to substitute for one of the stock humbucks with a Lace Deathbucker. However, the stock ones have 5 wires (hot, cold, hot, cold ground), while Laces have 4. Ibanez has a 5 way switch + a 2-way switch. Guyz, how to wire a Deathbucker to this system? Soldering isn't a problem for me, but I have no clue what would be the best possible wiring... Please help!
Many thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Dear All!
I am a pianist, who loves metal and now, being 43 year old learns guitar.
Any help will be very appreciated. I have an Ibanez qx527pb 7-string guitar and decided to substitute for one of the stock humbucks with a Lace Deathbucker. However, the stock ones have 5 wires (hot, cold, hot, cold ground), while Laces have 4. Ibanez has a 5 way switch + a 2-way switch. Guyz, how to wire a Deathbucker to this system? Soldering isn't a problem for me, but I have no clue what would be the best possible wiring... Please help!
Many thanks!
First of, welcome to the forum. Being a pianist, playing guitar will be a piece of cake for you, so dive right in, head first. Feel free to surf the forum, join the threads and share a bit more about you. Doesn't have to be all at once...

Regarding your question, you should be thinking of a complete new wiring scheme. The one with Ibanez qx527pb is designed for dual coil humbuckers like Seth Lover (wiki moment 😁) first designed them. The Lace Deathbucker is not of such design, it is not a dual coil humbucker, although its also passive. You can mix&match whatever kind of pickups and brands, but only in parallel (if going with different types) and you must be mindful about pots' values (probably no master volume = individual volume pots per pickup). Only with Seth's kind of pickups you can mix things in series, parallel, in phase or in reverse phase.

So, gathering ideas into a functional response, you have 2 options if you want to keep the Deathbucker, both will require a complete redesign of the wiring scheme.
1 - Keep the original pickup and the Deathbucker and redesign what you want from the circuit.
2 - Get another Alumitone Lace pickup and redesign the wiring scheme.

Both options will require some study from you. You'll need to understand what are the sonic options of both kind of pickups and decide what to do with them. Then, you'll need to understand how switching works and how to mix pickups... if you don't already know that...

Alternatively, sell the Deathbucker and get another passive coil type humbucker pickup.

Without more info, that's all there is for now.

Stanislav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for such a great reply!
Playing a guitar is hard - totally different instrument, I feel lame:) but it is really cool, i really love it and I am happy to be here finally!
In terms of the pickups: I don't really need 10 sounds, like what my Ibanez currently has. So I would want to have the deathbucker on the bridge for playing all the aggressive heavy s***t and the stock puckup on the neck position, just for the sake of variety. I am not really going to use them together, or in some combinations with each other. Just either one, or the other. So basically i just need two sounds. Maximum three - if it will be possible to use either of them in a single coil mode as a "bonus". So is it possible that way?
First of, welcome to the forum. Being a pianist, playing guitar will be a piece of cake for you, so dive right in, head first. Feel free to surf the forum, join the threads and share a bit more about you. Doesn't have to be all at once...

Regarding your question, you should be thinking of a complete new wiring scheme. The one with Ibanez qx527pb is designed for dual coil humbuckers like Seth Lover (wiki moment 😁) first designed them. The Lace Deathbucker is not of such design, it is not a dual coil humbucker, although its also passive. You can mix&match whatever kind of pickups and brands, but only in parallel (if going with different types) and you must be mindful about pots' values (probably no master volume = individual volume pots per pickup). Only with Seth's kind of pickups you can mix things in series, parallel, in phase or in reverse phase.

So, gathering ideas into a functional response, you have 2 options if you want to keep the Deathbucker, both will require a complete redesign of the wiring scheme.
1 - Keep the original pickup and the Deathbucker and redesign what you want from the circuit.
2 - Get another Alumitone Lace pickup and redesign the wiring scheme.

Both options will require some study from you. You'll need to understand what are the sonic options of both kind of pickups and decide what to do with them. Then, you'll need to understand how switching works and how to mix pickups... if you don't already know that...

Alternatively, sell the Deathbucker and get another passive coil type humbucker pickup.

Without more info, that's all there is for now.

Latest posts

')