Ibanez Iron Label - Quality Disappointment

• Thread starter Scalded_Ape
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scalded_Ape

Reaction score
Hi,

Today I got my first 7 string guitar and my first real Ibanez. I say first but the first one arrived broken from the courier and I used to have an Ibanez GIO GX70 starter kit years ago lol

It's the RGIR27FE Iron Label and it's an amazing guitar with a nice thin neck / great sounding EMG's and looks great, but ...... the build quality wasn't what I was expecting.

On the first guitar there was a 2" grove between the fretboard and the neck just as it turned into the head.
The pockets on the back where the electrics are kept have jagged edges on both guitars and the white binding around the body on the new one that arrived today is wonky or missing in small parts.

Now I know its not the most expensive guitar in the world and I'm known for being a perfectionist !! but I was expecting better finish / workmanship.

Is it just me ??

I'll try and get some pictures.

J

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Klype

desu
Reaction score
You mean Iron* Label? I've heard good and bad things about the whole line considering the prices and being made in Indonesia, but have never had a chance to actually test one out in person.

Scalded_Ape

Reaction score
You mean Iron* Label? I've heard good and bad things about the whole line considering the prices and being made in Indonesia, but have never had a chance to actually test one out in person.

Haha yeah Iron .... edited .... It's been a long day

Over all it's a great guitar and plays really well. Its just the little details.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Don't expect a lot of greatness on the "little details" for that price point. You want a perfect guitar? Prepare to shell out perfect guitar money. (probably $1400+)

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
If you want a quality Ibanez, get a prestige. I've never been happy with any of their guitars under that level, they cut all the wrong corners.

Dan

Reaction score
The build quality on my S series wasn't great, there was a couple of finish issues and scuffs but i couldnt pass up on the beauty of its fretboard :lol:

Where abouts did you get it from? I would recommend taking photos of everything and asking for a refund. Head into a shop and check out the quality of the instrument before buying it.

Easypoo

Reaction score
I picked up the same guitar a few months ago as my first 7 and I couldn't be happier with it.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Or just get an LTD

Yeah I've never played an LTD in that price range that wasn't flawless.

Oh, wait...:rolleyes:

It's a budget line guitar, part of the cost saving is in the detail and quality. No brand can offer 100% perfect guitars at this price, they just wouldn't be able to turn profits on them. On the other hand, if every guitar from Ibanez, or LTD, or whoever, in that price range was of the same level of quality as OP's guitar, no one would buy them. What OP has received sounds like a bad example that has slipped through the QC net and been further damaged in the distribution chain, he should document the damage and seek a refund or replacement.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Bring it back man...don't start with a guitar you don't feel, you'll regret it and it will be too late. ASK AN ANOTHER GUITAR AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN if you have to...it's YOUR MONEY !
Indonesia guitar is a straw pulled at random...like china and like some MANY PRESTIGE Ibbys.
Budget LTD have some very crappy models too...same problem.
The only way to have a descent instrument is to play it...but I know, it's not possible all the time.

rgfreek

Reaction score
Check out Prestiges and Premiums.

I'm thinking the Prestiges are more consistent with quality but I've only played one Premium and it's fit and finish is on par with the Prestiges I've played.

Both can be had used in similar price ranges. You could also find an older Japanese made 7620/7621 as those are excellent players as well.

I am a big fan of the Premiums but like I said I've only played one so far.

If you want the little details you're going to pay for them. Guitars, unfortunately aren't cheap once you get to a certain point.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These Iron Labels are still really inconsistent from what I've played. Some have been really solid, almost Premium good, but the other half have been quite dodgy. They still have a lot of bugs to work out apparently.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Iron Labels for right now, unless you get to play before you pay. Typically it takes a few production runs for MII Ibanez stuff to start turning out really good, these are no exception. Reminds me of the very early Cortek days and the original switch to Cort Indonesia.

They'll hit their stride sooner than later, but until then, save your cash.

Eclipse

Reaction score
I played a SIR at Guitar center once. It was a 7 string. Pretty solid IMO.

Scalded_Ape

Reaction score
honestly id return it and try to find a different guitar

I think I'll call them and see if I can return it. The shop I got it from is about an hour away but if I can I'll go there and see what they have.

I'm unsure on consumer rights in respect to returning it though !!! I assume I have a certain number of days to get it back.

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
I just got an RG7 Iron Label, and unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the statements in here.

I ordered one, and the neck was really poorly filed so the fret ends were quite sharp. That, and it arrived with the killswitch jammed into the body, though that could have happened during shipping.

I ordered a replacement, and it's flawless. The neck is smooth, the paint and trim are perfect. I couldn't be happier.

So, they're like any mid-level guitar. Some will be good, some won't. Try before buying if you can, but don't write off the whole series because of one or two minor imperfections.

oracles

Reaction score
Try before buying if you can, but don't write off the whole series because of one or two minor imperfections.

Essentially, this is what it all comes down to. I couldn't fault the Iron Label 8 I owned, but in this price range, trying before you buy is almost essential. Every company is going to produce a lemon here and there, and that's to be expected.

')