Ibanez Iron Label series thread

Reaction score
I bought an RGA8 wich has made me develope a prefference for Ibanez. I've played my friends RG(170 I think) 6 string as well but thats the only experience I've had with them and I know for sure. Sure, they're a stereotypical for metal, but metal heads have been stereotyped forever so who cares. Who would of thought a guitar company would understand them? I want the white 6 string with the trem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't know why Ibanez projects a line like those guitars. Metal. Metal for who, for what ? EMGs are made for playing metal ? GTFO... I play jazz lines with EMGs... In fact, I think you can play any style with EMGs.
Color ? Ah, right. Black, always... like "black IS the color of metal".
It's like "Red iIs the color of death metal" (a mate said that for laugh).
I remember a guitar store salesman telling me "when you play metal, you have black guitar". Holy crap :nuts:
Dude... Seriously ? And he was very serious. Holy shit...

But... I like Ibanez guitars. Always nice finishes, good process woodwork, even on low-priced models.

So I've seen my store have one of those Iron Label, a RGIR27FE. I don't know about the standard Gibraltar Bridge, I only know what the Tight-End R feels. I think I will try this one, the 7, just to heard and see what it goes with. To have my own point of view on this model.
The only point who despair me... only in black. The white looks more sexy to me.

My 2 cents.

rikomaru

Reaction score
i have a slight interest in the line as i do like some of the features.
i did the killswitches and direct mount parts but i'm not a fan of binding on the neck, which is common to the lineup. I wonder what would happen if Ibanez decided to go Carvin-esque and offer various incarnations of their guitars or custom orders. now THAT would be a huge step foward for my favorite brand :eek:

Give me that white RG with 7 strings, Dimarzios, vol AND tone knobs plus a killswitch. Hell i'll mod it for pu splitting myself >:D

rikomaru

Reaction score
found a video :)

i have to admit i kinda dig the sound of him on the 8 string >.>

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I like the idea, but haven't played one. Not sure where all the hate is coming from? Has this place turned in to a Country Music Forum or something?

A simple, superstrat, with EMGs, trem, thin fast-neck, decent price... Why all the hate?

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Got to play an Iron Label 6-er last Thursday. I freakin' loved it. No nonsense, great neck, killswitch is fun, sounded thick as shit through my afx. I want one now lol.

Reaction score
I like the idea, but haven't played one. Not sure where all the hate is coming from? Has this place turned in to a Country Music Forum or something?

A simple, superstrat, with EMGs, trem, thin fast-neck, decent price... Why all the hate?

No hate for me. Just my point of view about EMGs PUs and the 'oriented' metal due these PUs. For me, just a non-sense.

And, we don't know how these guitars getting old. About the woods (drying process and quality)... who knows how it will sound in 5 or 6 years ? Dummy as hell due the low quality of the basswood (for RGs) or mahogany (for S) ?

Lot of people tell the Prestige line isn't good as it was. So for new Ibanez 'labels', what's the deal ?:2c:

oracles

Reaction score
I bought the 8 string model and havent got a bad thing to say about it. It played substantially better than the RG8, and felt a lot better in my hands than the RGA 8, and without a double locking bridge I can't do anything with. I tore out the EMG's due to preference, and everyone I've let play it loves it.

Excuse the shitty Iphone pic:
IMG_0674_zpsda88bb10.jpg

arcadia fades

Reaction score
checked out some iron labels in my local guitar shops

the fretwork was a little shoddy, sharp ends on 2 models, wasnt particularly impressed either with the metallic finish on the S7

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've actually got a possible trade lined up for the Hardtail RG7 string. I'm kind of torn on it personally. I do really like the simplicity of it and I was jonesin for a nice hardtail 7.

Not too keen on the EMGs or the toggle killswitch though I suppose I could put a pickguard on if I want to switch to passives and cover the ugly EMG cavities...

How's the neck compare to the old Wizards on the 7421/7621?

trueTreble

Reaction score
I've actually got a possible trade lined up for the Hardtail RG7 string. I'm kind of torn on it personally. I do really like the simplicity of it and I was jonesin for a nice hardtail 7.

Not too keen on the EMGs or the toggle killswitch though I suppose I could put a pickguard on if I want to switch to passives and cover the ugly EMG cavities...

How's the neck compare to the old Wizards on the 7421/7621?

From what I remember with my short experience with them in the store, the Iron Label 7's have a similar neck profile with the RG7321's: pronounced shoulders, flat in the center. Personally, I don't like the pronounced shoulders, and I pretty much prefer the old Wizard-7 over it. But that's just me. Oh, and all the non-prestige ibanez guitars I saw in that shop had protruding fret ends. Not sure if it's just the lack of humidity back then but boy was I surprised (and disappointed).

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
From what I remember with my short experience with them in the store, the Iron Label 7's have a similar neck profile with the RG7321's: pronounced shoulders, flat in the center. Personally, I don't like the pronounced shoulders, and I pretty much prefer the old Wizard-7 over it. But that's just me. Oh, and all the non-prestige ibanez guitars I saw in that shop had protruding fret ends. Not sure if it's just the lack of humidity back then but boy was I surprised (and disappointed).

I would just like to say that neither of the two I picked up here (I only spent any measurable time with the RG 6) there were no fret issues. Three of us played the hell out of that 6 string with no issues with the frets. I did need a setup pretty badly but what do you expect with a guitar off the shelf? I didn't spend much time with the S model. I'm not a fan of that body type.

Last edited:

IndoRGforme

BroHaamid Ali
Reaction score
I have a friend who purchased the Rg7 model with the trem that came with a stripped out neck screw. It was sent back and replaced but the guitar they sent back had the neck mounted crooked. He then returned guitar number two for a refund. I don't know what team indo are doing but it sucks. As for them only coming in black... Just sand off the paint and clear it coz that seems to make them heavily modded and worth more $$$. That being said. I think the rest of the guitar was rather nice for an Indo Rg.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
To me this looks extremely sexy. I would swap the pickups for a Mayhem Seymour Set and done.
RGIR20FEWH_zoom.jpg

Can the killswitch be swapped for a tone knob? I don't really see the point in a killswitch really. Also, are hipshot bridges any better than this gibraltar? And, can that gibraltar be swapped for a Hipshot? That'll be killer!

jeleopard

Reaction score
Can the killswitch be swapped for a tone knob? I don't really see the point in a killswitch really. Also, are hipshot bridges any better than this gibraltar? And, can that gibraltar be swapped for a Hipshot? That'll be killer!

A hipshot is not a direct replacement for the Gibraltar. I dislike the gibraltar bridge. Too bulky for me.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
The 7 string Sabre is very nice. I played one at GC the other day when I was testing out cabs. I really like PAF 7s.

ViolaceousVerdance

Reaction score
I've had my Iron Label 8 since February and I can say positively that it is a fine >$1000 guitar. I never played mine with the EMGs since I had the store I bought it from install DiMarzio ionizers before I received the instrument, but I think it's up to snuff. I owned an RG2228 before that and, while it had a slightly thinner neck, the fine-tuning twisties, and a sparkly finish, I found that there was no point where I was concerned that through all my trading I had downgraded. Besides, I've always found the rg8 bridges to be immensely uncomfortable and not in any way I can hear better tonally. That being said, I never use the kill switch.

Latest posts

')