Ibanez JBM100 VS JBM20/27

• Thread starter Black_Sheep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
I've had GAS for the JBM100 since the moment I first saw Jake's LACS guitar that would eventually be the prototype the signature models would be based on. I love the features and especially the looks (okay maybe not the saltine cracker pups that much, but everything else), and keep thinking about this guitar a lot.

JBM100 would cost me nearly 3000€

That is way too much, a typical problem with signature models. I can get a custom guitar from Aristides for that price (something i've been slowly saving up to) so... Unless im getting a great discount on it, im probably not gonna get the JBM100.

This leaves me with the option of going for the reasonably priced version(s). There's not much difference in the specs, most noticeable is the rosewood vs ebony fretboard, and that the JBM100 has "prestige finishing" whatever that exactly means. :scratch:

So, im sure there's people here who own both, or have otherwise compared these guitars IRL, what's your verdict? How big is the difference between these models?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a JBM100 that's ....ing immaculate and I love how it feels, it's a high end Ibanez. But an Aristides isn't an Ibanez and vice versa, they both feel and play completely different.

The JBM feels as good as the TAM100 I had briefly back when I tried to get into 8 strings, like a Prestige with an immense amount of care put into it and that felt incredibly solid.

Basically they're both killer, and sometimes you simply should just try to play/get your hands on either guitar to see which fits you better. When you're paying over 3k from reputable builders, you're not exactly paying for "better", you're paying for the features you prefer and enjoy.

The difference however between the Indonesian and Prestige models is extremely large, I've played 3 separate examples of the Indo JBM, and I have my JBM100 and the ones I've played at NAMM to compare. The Trem bridge is a million times better, the fretboard is Ebony which looks and feels better on this guitar. Build feels far more solid on the Prestige as expected than the Indo. The Indos are however no bad, the Prestige is just better. So you might be perfectly content with the Indonesian versions. But the difference is there and it's quite large in my opinion.

You can shop used and theres a JBM100 for sale right now in the exchange for far less than 3k on page 3.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I would get the jbm27 because that's the only one that has the right number of strings...I played one at a gc a while ago and thought it was pretty good for a gc used guitar.

Like the guy above me said..the 100 has the better features though...i think the guitar looks goofy with a rosewood fretboard.

It's insane that this guitar costs like 3000 euros where you are from though...They are 2600 dollars here...which is close but still a few hundred off.

Yeah you could get a Aristide, or Mayones, or Skervesen for that much...but if the jbm100 has the features you want then what does it matter.

novocaine

Reaction score
Saw Jake with a white JBM at the Singapore gig. What a beauty, the colour's absolute complement to the gold adornments, wonder if it will become a production model.

Pardon the bad phone pic.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
If you must have a jbm then get the cheap one. Yeah the 100 will be better, but not 2-3x better.

save the rest towards your aristides

Reaction score
I have spent a fair amount of time with the JBM20 and it does play pretty good. My only complaint with it would be the trem which believe is an edge 3. It's made from cheap metal and may wear faster than other trems. Other than that it's got great feeling neck and sound and the ebony vs rosewood argument is negligible to me. Rosewood is fine and I could care less about the look. I've also seen 20s for around $1000 which can't be beat. I love Ibanez but I would never pay $3000 for one. At that point I would go custom too. Honestly I think all of periphery's guitars are way overpriced.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I have spent a fair amount of time with the JBM20 and it does play pretty good. My only complaint with it would be the trem which believe is an edge 3. It's made from cheap metal and may wear faster than other trems. Other than that it's got great feeling neck and sound and the ebony vs rosewood argument is negligible to me. Rosewood is fine and I could care less about the look. I've also seen 20s for around $1000 which can't be beat. I love Ibanez but I would never pay $3000 for one. At that point I would go custom too. Honestly I think all of periphery's guitars are way overpriced.
JBM20 has an Edge Zero II

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/JBM20

Very solid trem. They used cheap metal on things like the block but not the pivot points if I remember correctly. EZII is quite a bit better then the Edge III

Edit: Apparently also the saddle screws are not the best as well but issues can be avoided by not tightening them too much

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the JBM27. I really like it and the trem is fine, but it isn't an edge zero II. I don't think the more expensive JBMs are worth it though. The regular JBM27/whatever the cheaper 6 model is called are really high end Indo guitars and are worth it. The higher end ones are not worth it over a Mayones, Ibby prestige, Aristides, and the other stuff in that price range.

I decided to switch to a hardtail as my main axe, though, could sell you my JBM27 if you're interested.

Reaction score
Yes you are right about the bridge. The one I had was a temporary trade so I didn't do any mods to it. Still a great guitar in my opinion. I'd pick one up if I found one for a good price.

JBM20 has an Edge Zero II

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/JBM20

Very solid trem. They used cheap metal on things like the block but not the pivot points if I remember correctly. EZII is quite a bit better then the Edge III

Edit: Apparently also the saddle screws are not the best as well but issues can be avoided by not tightening them too much

Latest posts

')