Ibanez Jem Design Contest loser.

• Thread starter Macka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post in here but certainly won't be the last. I was shocked to see just how many people frequent this site. Im always on the Jemsite but sometimes it's a little slow going with topic discussions.

I wanted to use this opportunity to show off my new toy. This is a design I made for Steve Vai's Design a Jem Competition which obviously didn't win but what the hell, I got it built anyway. BUILT BY ET GUITARS, PAINTED BY ME.

Enjoy.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Wow man. Where in Aus are you from? I want to see this in person!

I love black and white detailed illustration, and this JEM is just beautiful.

Did you work the neck plate yourself? That looks really good, and a great quote from the best Vai song :D

Really great job man, it looks more tasteful and heartfelt than the real winner of the competition.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
This is the original entry.....

JEMSITE.jpg

After much deliberating with a bunch of awesome dudes on the Jemsite, I decided to go ebony fretboard with pyramids, zebra pups and black hardware. A wise decision methinks.

Anyways, that's Steve Vai on the front obviously, with his four ringed necklace incorporated into the volume/tone knobs.

I'm very happy with it. These photos are actually from the luthier and this guitar is in transit, on it's way to me, as I write this. I'm hella excited.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
Wow man. Where in Aus are you from? I want to see this in person!

I love black and white detailed illustration, and this JEM is just beautiful.

Did you work the neck plate yourself? That looks really good, and a great quote from the best Vai song :D

Really great job man, it looks more tasteful and heartfelt than the real winner of the competition.
Thanks for the nice comments dude. Yeah the back plate is etched aluminum that a guy in Indonesia makes. He does great work.

Oh, I'm in Geraldton which is 450kms north of Perth but I go to Perth quite often so if you're there, I'm sure it could be arranged.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i saw you on jemsite. i like yours alot more than the winner ;)

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
i saw you on jemsite. i like yours alot more than the winner ;)

Thanks man, but the winning one is pretty nice too. At least it has bright colors.

Dying to play this thing, so I find myself posting pics up on certain guitar sites to help pass the time. Hopefully I'll get a video up on YouTube for people to see it being played (probably pretty badly by me)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Thanks man, but the winning one is pretty nice too. At least it has bright colors.

)

i dont care for it. dont get me wrong. i like flower prints (like the original). but the winning design looks like a fat ladies swimsuit print.:ugh:

soliloquy

Reaction score
dont you also own a blue/purple swirl jem body with quilted maple fret board?
the background looks similar.

but i just LOVE where the knobs are placed, and the 2 other white circles on the top of the guitar. i personally like that more than the ones that won.

nevermind, i just read your other topic. the luthier has made some AMAZING stuff!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That's cool shit, man. I had an idea like that a while ago. Not so much a picture of Vai, per se, but the design pattern you used to draw him and his surroundings. I approve. :yesway:

Reaction score
That is SWANKY.

Personally, I would have thrown some colored pups/knobs on there just to kinda give some pop, but that's not to say it doesn't look cash money as is ;)

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
dont you also own a blue/purple swirl jem body with quilted maple fret board?
the background looks similar.

but i just LOVE where the knobs are placed, and the 2 other white circles on the top of the guitar. i personally like that more than the ones that won.

nevermind, i just read your other topic. the luthier has made some AMAZING stuff!
No man, I only have a 7VWh and a black les paul standard and soon, this black and white monstrosity. What I do need is an injection of color. I'm hoping to get a uv77mc clone built by ET Guitars next. Mmmmmmmmm.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
why not a real one?:scratch:
Well, good question. The reason is that I don't believe that a swirl paint job is worth five grand. A real mc reissue is about 7 to 8 grand which is bullshit. considering the actual UV part of it is only about 2500 bucks the rest is just daylight robbery, as are most limited edition guitars.

And I don't want a second hand one.....oh...... And I want to choose my own swirl. ET Guitars is now in collaboration with Herc Fede and to me, he is the planets best swirler.

')