Ibanez Jem Design Contest loser.

• Thread starter Macka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
So there's the journey for you. Painted and decaled by me. Built with precision by ET Guitars. Hope you like the pics and to anyone contemplating doing this then go for it. I didn't know the first thing about how to do this but I got there in the end. Any questions......be sure to ask me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP MAN! THAT IS STUNNING!

Would you ever offer your artwork on other guitars? Im refurbishing an Ibanez EX at the moment that could do with some nice designs ;)
I dunno dude, I almost needed glasses after painting this. I may contemplate some in the future but for now, nothing is on the radar in the near future. I'm sure you'll all know when I've got a new project on the table and I'm willing to do others.

I will have this guitar delivered to me hopefully tomorrow or maybe the next day. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
will do sir..... just don't expect any Vai-like playing. Though I love the guy, I don't share his same amount of passion for practicing.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Wow! Man, it looked really cool when it was still covered completely in the black paint, too. HR Giger-ish, somewhat.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
Ernie is a great guy and this guitar just looks incredible, congratulations

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
It arrived today!!!!! Here's some quick pics for you. I'll hopefully get some more piccies up soon and probably some video.

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6665.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
This next photo is basically the entire evolution of it (for those who're interested)

IMG_6678.jpg

The inane doodling on the paper on the very left is something I did out in the shed after a gig, watching music TV, mostly drunk with a sharpie and a few more beers. This was three weeks before I ever even knew about the competition. Once I learned of the comp I had no idea of what I'd put on a guitar and then I saw this doodle lying on the table in the shed and thought "hmmmm maybe that would look okay". The hand drawing of the guitar is the entry I sent, basically just as you see it there. The 7 was something that was lying around that I started to toy with and practice on, learning to go around corners really. The white and fluro orange wooden test blocks were the last stepping stone before attempting it on a real Jem body. The end result is ...... fantastic. It plays every bit as nice as my 7VWh. I still can't believe it's done. Ima use it this friday at the pub.

Lol, in the doodle on the left hand side, you can see the eyes that I stole from that design to have on the actual guitar.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
fantastic stuff! get your first gig with this axe filmed!!
What's the go with the ibanez and jem logo? I thought ernie didn't put branding on his guitars?

fwd0120

Bipedal Hominid
Reaction score
Looks absolutely incredible!!! Whoever suggested the ebony board needs a big hi-5!

Racerdeth

Reaction score
This is superb, man. I personally prefer the original design with the vine but still.... DAT BODY DESIGN.

Macka

Vai Nut
Reaction score
Sooooooo, today I secured myself a ticket in Steve Vai's Masterclass that he's holding here in Australia in October. I hope maybe I can wrangle a signing on the guitar from him. No instruments allowed though, so I'll just have to beg and grovel the organizers to no end to maybe sneak me out the back or something LOL. Im so excited about it.

Don't like my chances though. Oh well, it'll be a privilege to be in the same room at least.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Sooooooo, today I secured myself a ticket in Steve Vai's Masterclass that he's holding here in Australia in October. I hope maybe I can wrangle a signing on the guitar from him. No instruments allowed though, so I'll just have to beg and grovel the organizers to no end to maybe sneak me out the back or something LOL. Im so excited about it.

Don't like my chances though. Oh well, it'll be a privilege to be in the same room at least.

Contact his PR about this, attach a pic of the guitar, surely he wouldn't refuse such an axe!

CD1221

Reaction score
beautiful guitar. normally I don't go with patterned guitars, but that one is fan-farking-tastic.

')