Ibanez JPM P4 for sale in my town, thinking of buying

thorekz

Reaction score
Very good shape, about 2 small dings in the body, non original case though
for sell at about 2,2k USD
Is it worth it? I love Ibanez and love JP tone but i thought they would go for less

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
it's about whether it's worth it to you. you can an ibanez with similar specs from the same time period for less than half that. you're paying for the graphic and collector value

Mnaro127

Reaction score
Very good shape, about 2 small dings in the body, non original case though
for sell at about 2,2k USD
Is it worth it? I love Ibanez and love JP tone but i thought they would go for less
Heck what's the store? Is it online? If you don't buy it I will!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it's about whether it's worth it to you. you can an ibanez with similar specs from the same time period for less than half that. you're paying for the graphic and collector value

Not quite.

The JP models had thier own neck shape, slightly thicker and rounder with a more pronounced center, so it's not like you can grab an old RG470 for $300 and get a JPM feeling guitar.

But, that neck might not interest someone who is looking for a Super Wizard or something. The most recent profiles I'd compare it to are JEMs and the Ultra HP, similar but not the same.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Not quite.

The JP models had thier own neck shape, slightly thicker and rounder with a more pronounced center, so it's not like you can grab an old RG470 for $300 and get a JPM feeling guitar.

But, that neck might not interest someone who is looking for a Super Wizard or something. The most recent profiles I'd compare it to are JEMs and the Ultra HP, similar but not the same.
ah that's fair

thorekz

Reaction score
I think ill pass, ive seen some for 1,5-1,8k usd. no hurries
main thing that worries me is the neck, im really used to thin fast necks

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think ill pass, ive seen some for 1,5-1,8k usd. no hurries
main thing that worries me is the neck, im really used to thin fast necks

Don't get me wrong, compared to most guitars the neck is plenty thin, it's just compared to other Ibanez guitars it's a little thicker and rounder.

I've seen them go for as little as $1k over here, but the condition was always less than ideal. Definitely heavily played and gigged.

Personally, I never really got into them. The necks weren't anything special to me, the graphics didn't tickle my fancy, and I was never a big JP fanboi. Funny enough, for years I played EBMM JP7s almost exclusively.

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one. Which city?

Welcome to the forum...

The "local" craig List is OLX.PT. A couple months ago, maybe more, I could find about 3 of these JPs, some at Lisboa, others at Funchal... this is in Portugal / Europe, by the way...

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Not quite.

I don't agree about the neck shape. Maybe there are slight variations. Maybe it was the case with my previous P2. As I remember: the neck was 43 mm wide at the nut, but was massive. I mean massive D with pronounced shoulders. Very awkward for me.
Oh 2,2k$ is too much for P4 IMHO. ~2k is adequate for P2 and P3 in good shape. The camo one is regarded as inferior IIRC.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't agree about the neck shape. Maybe there are slight variations. Maybe it was the case with my previous P2. As I remember: the neck was 43 mm wide at the nut, but was massive. I mean massive D with pronounced shoulders. Very awkward for me.
Oh 2,2k$ is too much for P4 IMHO. ~2k is adequate for P2 and P3 in good shape. The camo one is regarded as inferior IIRC.

There was a lot of variation back then, Fujigen was still using a copy-carver and shaping/sanding necks by hand. Necks could vary as much as three or four millimeters in thickness, the width was kept close simply by virtue of needing to fit the locking nut.

It's hard to assess price for these things in markets like Chile where there are likely very few of these in the entire country, let alone local.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
There was a lot of variation back then, Fujigen was still using a copy-carver and shaping/sanding necks by hand. Necks could vary as much as three or four millimeters in thickness, the width was kept close simply by virtue of needing to fit the locking nut.

It's hard to assess price for these things in markets like Chile where there are likely very few of these in the entire country, let alone local.
OK. Seems very logical. Thx for the explanation. As the matter of fact, the neck shape was the reason i sold mine. It sounded great thou.

jwoods986

Reaction score
The country it's located in is definitely going to affect the price. But for the US, anyone who thinks that $2,200 is a deal is crazy!