Ibanez K-7 and Rg1527

• Thread starter guitarist-1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
Hello
I'm new here. I've been playing for 3,5 years and 6 months ago I started shredding for good. I have a Ibanez RGT42Dx and I was thinking of buying a nice 7 string guitar. Lately I'm confused, because I don't know what to do. I think that a 7 sting guitar would become useful in shredding and improvising due to the added string which gives extra range.
the K-7 comes in A standard tuning which I don't like much. I would tune it to B E A D G B E (standard). I don't know how's the neck on one of those guitars. I has no inlays which I like, but I don't know how it would suit im my style. I was thinking of buying the K-7 or the RG1527. At the moment I don't know If a seven string could help me.
I need some suggestions what to do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
the K7 does have an inlay, a big K7 across the 11th 12th and 13th fret...

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Well, if you get a K-7 then make sure to get it in the Fire-Spark Blue, because that colour is almost definately going to get discontinued when this years new range comes out.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
Papa Shank said:
Well, if you get a K-7 then make sure to get it in the Fire-Spark Blue, because that colour is almost definately going to get discontinued when this years new range comes out.

That color is awesome. If I decide to get that guitar it will certainly be Fire-Spark Blue.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The RG1527 is a lot cheaper than the K-7 and has no ridiculous inlay.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Both are good guitars with identical neck profiles. The K-7 has a mahogany body and Dimarzio pickups. The RG1527 has a basswood body and the new Edge Pro trem, but only has Ibanez pickups. It is however significantly cheaper.

As you're new to 7's, I would actually reccomend a used RG1527 or RG7620. The RG7620 does have Dimarzio's, but they're not to everyone's tastes. It was the model that the 1527 replaced and it's a very fine guitar. A large number of us own one, myself included, and it's used as a main player by most of those.

I'd definitely reccomend a used guitar, as if you find a 7 isn't for you it can be sold on again for what you paid for it. If you do decide to stick with the 7 (which I hope you do), I'd suggest a pickup upgrade in either guitar.

Remember that any questions you have we will be happy to answer, however stupid they may seem to you. Welcome to the site! :wavey:

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
Both are good guitars with identical neck profiles. The K-7 has a mahogany body and Dimarzio pickups. The RG1527 has a basswood body and the new Edge Pro trem, but only has Ibanez pickups. It is however significantly cheaper.

As you're new to 7's, I would actually reccomend a used RG1527 or RG7620. The RG7620 does have Dimarzio's, but they're not to everyone's tastes. It was the model that the 1527 replaced and it's a very fine guitar. A large number of us own one, myself included, and it's used as a main player by most of those.

I'd definitely reccomend a used guitar, as if you find a 7 isn't for you it can be sold on again for what you paid for it. If you do decide to stick with the 7 (which I hope you do), I'd suggest a pickup upgrade in either guitar.

Remember that any questions you have we will be happy to answer, however stupid they may seem to you. Welcome to the site! :wavey:

The reason why I'm I like the K-7 is that it has no inlays. The 7 string guitar have wide nick which I think it's cool and for my style an extra string means more range. I will probably have some problem with chords, because I've never played on a 7 string yet. The Rg1527 would also work great. Like you said, changinh pickups would be a good idea. I'm worried that the new guitar wouldn't come useful I don't know why? How much did it take to you to habituate to a 7 string guitar??

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
guitarist-1 said:
The reason why I'm I like the K-7 is that it has no inlays. The 7 string guitar have wide nick which I think it's cool and for my style an extra string means more range. I will probably have some problem with chords, because I've never played on a 7 string yet. The Rg1527 would also work great. Like you said, changinh pickups would be a good idea. I'm worried that the new guitar wouldn't come useful I don't know why? How much did it take to you to habituate to a 7 string guitar??

But the K-7 does have an inlay. It has a big ugly K-7 written around the 11-13 frets. There are a few sevens that don't have any inlays, but the RG1527 has inlays on the 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc. frets and the K-7 has that big K-7.

The main reason I started playing sevens was because of range and also because I wanted to play low heavy music without down-tuning and, instead, staying in standard.

How long did it take me to get used to it? It took me a few minutes to get used to it, I guess. But, to be honest, I still find the string spacing on my 6-string guitars more comfortable, but that's only because I played sixes for over 5 years and I haven't even had my 7 for a half year yet. But I don't really experience any problems. It just seems mildly uncomfortable sometimes when I try to play certain things that originally were on sixes. Shouldn't take too long to get used to it.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
Naren said:
But the K-7 does have an inlay. It has a big ugly K-7 written around the 11-13 frets. There are a few sevens that don't have any inlays, but the RG1527 has inlays on the 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc. frets and the K-7 has that big K-7.

The main reason I started playing sevens was because of range and also because I wanted to play low heavy music without down-tuning and, instead, staying in standard.

How long did it take me to get used to it? It took me a few minutes to get used to it, I guess. But, to be honest, I still find the string spacing on my 6-string guitars more comfortable, but that's only because I played sixes for over 5 years and I haven't even had my 7 for a half year yet. But I don't really experience any problems. It just seems mildly uncomfortable sometimes when I try to play certain things that originally were on sixes. Shouldn't take too long to get used to it.

the K-7 has the only 3 frets with inlay, that's cool. I will get quickly lost on that guitar, but I don't care. The fire spark blue finish is awesome, it's mahagony, dimarzio pickups, nice neck....all I need for shredding. The 1527 is also a good guitar. What do you guys suggest me to buy? The K-7 (in normal tuning) or the Rg1527??
You have the 1527 right? How's the neck on of those guitars? Is't awesome isn't it?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Any guitar can be retuned - don't let what it ships in be a determining factor for you.

Myself, I actually prefer the tone of basswood to mahogany. Really what you need to do here is sit down with one of each and let your ears tell you what they like - try them unplugged to get a feel for the natural tone of the guitar (as pickups can be changed) but plug 'em in too and see what you find - I think mahogany sounds better than basswood clean, but basswood kills for lead work.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
I've read on ibanez.com and it says something about "glow in the dark side dots"
What does that mean? Do the dots glow?

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
It doesn't take all that long to get used to the extra string. I do get confused sometimes when playing exercises but nearly as often as I thought.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
guitarist-1 said:
You have the 1527 right? How's the neck on of those guitars? Is't awesome isn't it?

Personally I think the neck is awesome, one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. People talk about some 7-string necks being uncomfortable. I think the Ibanez Wizard 7 necks are incredibly comfortable (I think both the K-7 and the RG1527 have the same kind of neck, just made of a different wood).

I like both basswood and mahogany. I have a basswood guitar (my 1527) and a mahogany guitar (my Gibson Les Paul Studio) and I think they both sound awesome, just in different ways.

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
I have a question about sclaes on a 7 string guitar. How would the A minor pentatonic look like played on a 7 string. Do I have to add the two notes on the low B string and so the position doesn't change???
Could somebody post an example of the A minor pentatonic in the fisrt shape?
like this
E-5---8 ???
B-5---8
G-5---7
D-5---7
A-5---7
E-5---8
B-5---8

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Exactly - your low B mirrors your high B for all "in position" scale patterns, where you don't shift positons.

Hint- we have a Lessons page on the site with an introductory seven string scales lesson... ;) I haven't done any updates in a while, but I've been working on some stuff lately and all the updates Chris has done to the forum lately have me inspired to get my ass in gear and add some stuff... :)

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
Now it's all clear. I understand. thanks
The next week I will get the K-7 in fire spark blue. I can't wait to start playing on a 7 string.:shred:
Edit: I didn't know that there's a lesson page. cool. This forum is awesome:metal: :yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
And it gets awesomer every day. :D

I really have to update that lessons page - it looks hideous for one, and I haven't posted anything new in rather a while... :/

guitarist-1

Shred Metal
Reaction score
Drew said:
And it gets awesomer every day. :D

I really have to update that lessons page - it looks hideous for one, and I haven't posted anything new in rather a while... :/

cool
I'm glad that I joined this forum, especially now that I will buy a seven string guitar.

')