Ibanez M80M appreciation thread

• Thread starter Velokki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kisielk

Reaction score
I thought so as well but it isn't labeled on the back of the tuner or on their website/documentation.
The lower-end models are OEM parts that are labelled Ibanez or sometimes unmarked, but they're still made by Gotoh. Higher-end models sometimes have Gotoh-branded tuners, particularly if they're locking.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
So I restrung this week and went a little heavier than usual - with an 84 on the low end.

I don't know what experiences others have had with big string gauges on this instrument - but the 84 ONLY JUST fit into the saddle. Like... width wise. I had real trouble getting enough string into the saddle assembly for the thing to grab onto.

I did finally get it on the fourth attempt but I was seriously worried/annoyed with it there for a bit.

In related news, once it fit, I have to say that the 9-84 Curt Mangan set is pretty freaking good.

SPeety

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers everybody, I recently entered the M80M owners-club. What an amazing guitar! I haven't been that excited about a new guitar for a while.
Well, I bought it used, took off the strings, cleaned it, put a new set of strings on it (D'addario) and figured that I might've clipped off the bridge-end of the string a tiny bit too short. Now the string "unwraps" a bit too early on the first fret before the nut.
So - I never thought about strings being too short on a 29" guitar, I checked google and found myself hours later still searching for the perfect set of strings to use for the M80M. The internet is pretty contradictional if it comes to that. I find people telling me "Ernie Ball sets work fine" vs. "Ernie Ball sets are too short".
My question now is - which sets do you guys use?

I'm interested in:

Ernie Ball 2625 (10-74)
D'addario NYXL1074

Did anyone use these kinda sets..?

Happy shredding! :hbang:
Steve

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I have used a few different brands, including buying regular 6 string sets and separate low strings and have never run across a string that was too short.

Not sure if I have tried EB.

If you're not sure what gauges to try as a starting point - take a look at the ibanez M8M page. That guitar comes with the string set that Meshuggah actually use, and it works a LOT better than the stock gauges that come with the M80M. Iirc, I went one or two gauges up from their suggested low string and kept the rest the same - which worked really well for me in drop E tuning.

SPeety

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alright, thank you! Next time, I'll just give the D'addario a try. :)

Rob Joyner

Reaction score
GHS have no issues with length

Cheers everybody, I recently entered the M80M owners-club. What an amazing guitar! I haven't been that excited about a new guitar for a while.
Well, I bought it used, took off the strings, cleaned it, put a new set of strings on it (D'addario) and figured that I might've clipped off the bridge-end of the string a tiny bit too short. Now the string "unwraps" a bit too early on the first fret before the nut.
So - I never thought about strings being too short on a 29" guitar, I checked google and found myself hours later still searching for the perfect set of strings to use for the M80M. The internet is pretty contradictional if it comes to that. I find people telling me "Ernie Ball sets work fine" vs. "Ernie Ball sets are too short".
My question now is - which sets do you guys use?

I'm interested in:

Ernie Ball 2625 (10-74)
D'addario NYXL1074

Did anyone use these kinda sets..?

Happy shredding! :hbang:
Steve

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
So I restrung this week and went a little heavier than usual - with an 84 on the low end.

I don't know what experiences others have had with big string gauges on this instrument - but the 84 ONLY JUST fit into the saddle. Like... width wise. I had real trouble getting enough string into the saddle assembly for the thing to grab onto.

I did finally get it on the fourth attempt but I was seriously worried/annoyed with it there for a bit.

In related news, once it fit, I have to say that the 9-84 Curt Mangan set is pretty freaking good.
Man I find anything thicker than an 80 to sound like a bass string, even at 30". High end still chimey?

Emiliano

true DJENTleman
Reaction score
Hello there,
Recently got this beast, Picked up a deal on the used market and I’m going to do a little work on it before ting some pictures (i promise)

I had a question tough, the area between the strings and the volume pot has become very shiny (it is very used i understand)

Does anybody has some tricks to get it back to the matt effect of the rest of the body?

Thanks in advance!!

')