Ibanez Meshuggah Thread (M8M/M80M)

MickD7

Reaction score
First time posting in a long time :yesway: I've been playing the M80M for about two years now and I love it. I find that amp wise I like it the most running into a Orange Duel Terror with two 4x12 cabs on Peavey 6505 cab and one Peavey 5150 cab. In a live setting I look having it run with a 6 band MXR EQ, 4 knob Keeley Compressor and a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

String wise I've found my fav gauge is the Ernie Ball 9-80 set.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd think any amp with a TS-style pedal would do the trick, preferably with a separate bass control.

I think "THE" amp would be the Randall Thrasher, Satan, and UN120, since you can control the high end and low end going into the gain stage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Well, this isn't arriving til Monday, which is giving me lots of time to think of other things to buy; so what amps are people using with their m80ms?

I use a 28.625" scale 8 string with Lundgren M8's so its pretty similar to an m80m.

I run a AMT R2 preamp into a Mosvalve 500 poweramp and it rips.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I had a Thrasher and IMHO they aren't what they're cracked up to be. Its extremely bright, shrill even, with almost no low end. That and the effects loop does not agree with most instrument-level pedals, especially EQ pedals (thats my experience).

I would stay far away from the thrasher unless you want something for mainly live use in a band setting, with no pedals in the effects loop. In that application I can see how the thrasher would be okay.

If you want to stay with tubes I'd say a trusty USA made 6505 is the way to go. I rocked my 6505 with a 10 band EQ in the loop and a drive out front for a long time. Nails Meshuggah tones no problem if everything is dialed right.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
MI Audio Megalith Beta here - the amp LOVES low tunings and has mad flexible EQ.

Don't know what availability is like outside of Australia - but if you have the opportunity to check one out, don't pass it up.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
It's here! Wish they had sent it with something a bit more robust than a 65 for the low string but we can't have everything. Will sort that out tomorrow.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I just went with the gauges listed as stock for the M8M - which, oddly, are different to the listed stock gauges for the M80M. I think I went a little heavier on the low string because I use drop E instead of the F standard that the set is intended for.

Works well for me!

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
What are you guys using to dampen the strings ?
I've not done that before but seeing lots of people use something.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
I do put foam under the strings on the headstock. I even used to put
foam under the trem springs, 'cause they'd feedback/vibrate.
I've never used hair scrunchies wrapped around the neck though.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
If anyone likes drum and bass you've got to learn Brown Paper Bag on this thing, it's like it was made for it.