Ibanez MM1 turning issues: Is my bone nut cut properly?

• Thread starter Remster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Remster

Reaction score
I have a set of 12 gauged nut slot files from stewmac (I ordered them piecemeal, the sets didn't have the sizes I wanted) as well as two different gauges of "mitchell's abrasive cord," both have been a very solid investment. You can use "anything" to size up a nut slot, but IME with tolerances as narrow as they are, it's worth having the right tools, especially if you are regularly fitting heavier strings onto guitars. It takes some finesse whether you've got the right tools or not, but it's a skill well worth cultivating.

All of my guitars are anointed with a blood sacrifice sooner or later. It's a badge of honor.
It would be a badge of honor for me if it was from playing. :)

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
For the nut:

Screenshot_20240807-230948-882.png

For the trem posts:

Screenshot_20240807-231121-417.png

This will solve 90% of your problems.

adrianb

Reaction score
It took me more than a few years to come to accept the truth about non-locking whammy guitars, after fucking around chasing my tail trying to fix tuning issues with my Strat: like everything else about the electric guitar, the laws of physics rule. A solid metal string rubbing on a solid bone/plastic/brass/etc nut will be acted upon by friction. Lube will only get one so far. And that's saying nothing about the bridge end: the posts, saddles, springs, etc. So i made up my mind to just go with a fixed bridge for my main guitar, and the next whammy guitar i get will have a double locking setup.

I wonder why nobody makes nuts with mirror-smooth nut slots. The top part of the nut would be made of something like stainless steel, while the bottom part would be bone or plastic or graphite. This way a luthier or tech can adjust nut height by sanding off the bottom and leaving the top and slots untouched. They would come in pre-set radiuses with slots cut for a particular range of string gauge. :scratch::scratch::nuts:

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I wonder why nobody makes nuts with mirror-smooth nut slots. The top part of the nut would be made of something like stainless steel, while the bottom part would be bone or plastic or graphite. This way a luthier or tech can adjust nut height by sanding off the bottom and leaving the top and slots untouched.
Have tried Graphtech nuts?

')