Ibanez mtm2

• Thread starter tonechasers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tonechasers

axe man
Reaction score
im new here and wanting to buy the mtm2 would buy a 1 but not a red fan. so anyone who know tone and playability please post for me.
oh yeah i'm playing in drop a#

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
On a budget they're very good. The pickups sorta suck ass, but if you buy used you'll have enough left over to buy a set of EMG's or something to liven it up a bit.

If you want to spend less still you can get the old version of the RG321e and it's pretty much the same thing.

I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. I think it might be RGT too.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a used MTM2 about a year ago, with the extra money, I put in a set of AHB2s (the Mick Tompson sig pups), Sounded great! I wished I would have kept it. I am almost thinking about picking up the 2010 version (white)

Sebastian

Reaction score
My friend has a has a MTM2 - Great guitars for the money - very comfortable neck, like everyone said and will say - change the pickups :yesway:

tonechasers

axe man
Reaction score
for sure I will change pups i have a set of emg 81 85 i use the 85 in the bridge of my gibson explorer.

so what do you guys mean good for the money. will it compare tonally and playably with my gibson? i am looking for a six string to hold my tuning and play well. My ear is amazing and I really need tone.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
for sure I will change pups i have a set of emg 81 85 i use the 85 in the bridge of my gibson explorer.

so what do you guys mean good for the money. will it compare tonally and playably with my gibson? i am looking for a six string to hold my tuning and play well. My ear is amazing and I really need tone.

IMO, for the price your going to pay for the MTM, you'd be hard pressed to find something with the same quality. I assume they are made in Indonesia, but none the less. Does it compare to the quality of say a UV777? No.

Compared to the Gibson, I can't say much, as I have never played one. Tonally, I had zero complaints with my MTM.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
they are indeed good guitars for the money. the only issue i have with these is that the 'rosewood' fretboard and finish looks very cheap, imo.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score

well, with EMGs they will both sound VERY alike. the one i used to own held tuning very well and came with very good fretwork. the neck will definitely feel thinner than on an gibson explorer, but not uncomfortably thin.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Don't own one but tried one in a shop. This one had sloppy fretwork, and the stock pickups are the worst ones I've ever heard from Ibanez. Sounded pretty much like shit with them, neck was comfortable though, and bridge felt very low end and low quality metal. (It was setup like shit but I can make up for it to have an opinion.)
End of story: I didn't buy it. Overall feeling was liek it was gonna start to drop pieces if used intensively. Was maybe a bad apple and I won't diss the model in general, but if you do buy one, beware and try it first, don't buy online.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
still love the look of the white MTM2. stock PU's are gonna be garbage for sure, but you can swop 'em anytime, with white EMG's for example.

;)

Kawrn

Reaction score
To me the new fitted Duncan actives are vast improvment :agreed:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
FYI...they made a blew black MTM1s. I see them pop up on eBay a few times a year. I liked my MTM1 way more than any MTM2 I ever got my hands on. The sustain on the MTM2 is pretty awful in my opinion.

HolidayKiller

Reaction score
I actually went through two white MTM2's. The first one didn't work at all, it picked up radio signals and nothing else. The second one crapped out after a couple of days. YMMV for sure, but my experience with them sucked. The neck was comfortable and the guitar as a whole was fairly easy to play with. I ended up getting a RGD320 in white. I'm satisfied with it besides the muddy stock pickups which goes for most mid-level Ibanez guitars it seems.

Latest posts

')