Ibanez NAMM 2016

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Any word on what Ibanez will have this NAMM?

Last two years their Prestige Line has KILLED it, I wonder if they will expand it even more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
^ Are the wings on that black flame maple bass solid? Even if not, that's a hell of a thick top to allow for those contours. But looking at the cutaway, it does it indeed look like the maple runs all the way through.

I'm not familiar with Ibanez basses. Do they have high-end exotic models with woods like this, or is this just a one-off/LACS produced for NAMM?

A-Branger

Reaction score
taking it from last year Bass live show line up and latter NAMM... after seeing this years line up, we can almost assume that's pretty much it for new basses.

The new sigle cut SR instead of the BTB. Looks cool, not sure what wood is the fretboard, purple heart?.. looks pretty pink-ish

Same with that blue SR, its the Adam Nitti signature model, already released, its old news. Not bad, but I personaly dont like the "pink" fretboard

you could say the Talman series are new too. But we already saw them at the summer NAMM

other than that

12193395_1074407005932454_5376656233427636327_n.jpg

apart from the SR single cut (which you can tell in this photo the FB is purple heart, same as the Adam Nitti), and the semi-hollow signature. All the other basses are already in production.

Maybe the SR premium at the bottom left?, seems like a new color?, natural wood top and gloss black at the back?

again another year I get disappointed at Ibanez basses. Hopefully NAMM would bring a surprise??

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Adam sig IS old news, but hopefully it's a cheaper model. The current Nitti model is around $7000, and hopefully this one is closer to a $2000 - $3000 price range.

A-Branger

Reaction score
7000$ !!!!! Jesus... thats crazy money for a big brand production model that looks "normal". I could get way better customs for that cash

really looking forward for the guitars lineup. Still looking for a 7 string. Hope this years they dial down the "brown is the new black" theme they had going on last year hahaha ;)

BlueTrident

Reaction score
Haha don't jinx it by saying that! although I do admit it would be nice seeing more of a variety of colours and finishes

LordHar

Reaction score
The Adam Nitti is the more affordable model ANB306, and the Singlecut SR has a purpleheart fingerboard.

I've also spotted this:

12244811_719510858192259_2101547334682904731_o.jpg

dlam_ivs

Reaction score
You know, if Ibanez actually made an effort to flesh out their RGD line as much as they have with their Iron Label series, or their recent Talman Prestige series, then I would actually care to pay attention to them this year.

They don't even need to be baritone. It had a unique body style, clean lines, a nice aesthetic. That's what players want, and that's why these guitars still go for $500+ for just the six-string models.

I mean, come on. I understand if you have good ideas for your RG series, but have some consistency. We've been stuck with the same RGD models for two years, and the only variation you've offered is giving us a chameleon finish.

But you have no problems with offering the same low-budget RG with pickguard with just a different color.

/rant

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
You know, if Ibanez actually made an effort to flesh out their RGD line as much as they have with their Iron Label series, or their recent Talman Prestige series, then I would actually care to pay attention to them this year.

They don't even need to be baritone. It had a unique body style, clean lines, a nice aesthetic. That's what players want, and that's why these guitars still go for $500+ for just the six-string models.

I mean, come on. I understand if you have good ideas for your RG series, but have some consistency. We've been stuck with the same RGD models for two years, and the only variation you've offered is giving us a chameleon finish.

But you have no problems with offering the same low-budget RG with pickguard with just a different color.

/rant
Seconded, but I'd really wish they'd be baritones. Most Schecter and Jackson sevens are baritones as far as I know and I rarely see people complain, even ESP fleshed out their lineup with both 6 and 7 string baritones, why are Ibanez so hell bent on not making more RGDs? The only thing they did this year was to release that Uppercut model that comes stock with Bareknuckles and locking tuners that costs €800 more than a 2127 on Thomann...

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

/rant

If RGDs sold as well as RGs or Ss, then yes. Despite a few players catching on, they still aren't popular enough in the overall sales. I remember a lot of music stores simply saying they won't order them because of the little demand. There were a fair amount of RGDs during 2010 and 2012, both prestige and non prestige. But after that, I'd take it that sales were dying out since by then the RGD line have thinned out considerably.

Possibly the biggest reason why Ibanez are pushing the Iron Label line is that they're just a new kind of their biggest sellers: Black RGs and Ss, marketed for the metal crowd. Granted that the Iron Label line has evolved a bit with their own exclusive traits and includes the ARZ series and most recently a Xiphos... another line that's died down considerably.

Look, I love the RGDs too, and I kinda wished I grabbed a 2127Z when I had the chance. But they just don't sell as well as their flagship counterparts. I would like the RGD to keep going though, or even find it's way to the Iron Label range, which suits the guitar quite well come to think of it. :idea: Ibanez, you listening? :lol:

pretty indeed, but that upper fret access tho hahahhaa

also I remember reading somewhere on a review that this bass weights a ton

Eh, don't really care. It's not often I need to play that 24th fret, especially on a bass. :shrug:

And weight isn't really too much of an issue for me either.

dlam_ivs

Reaction score
I would like the RGD to keep going though, or even find it's way to the Iron Label range, which suits the guitar quite well come to think of it.

This would be perfect, really. I just want to have options when it comes to Ibanez.

Edit: But, really, why is the Iron Label line doing as well as it's doing? Because Ibanez recognizes that players want a no fuss instrument with the features they need without any of the gimmicky flair that comes with a brand like, let's say, ESP. ESP likes to put abalone and ugly inlays on almost everything they produce, and about 90% of their guitars have EMGs in them. The Iron Label RGs have EMGs too, but that's just about the only place you'll find them when it comes to Ibanez. They use in-house pickups on their lower-budget models, and use Dimarzios on their Prestige guitars.

I mean, I just want that body style. I would just make my own if I had any skill in woodworking, or even knew how to build a guitar from scratch. I know that the RGD isn't the most popular model they have, but I hope that they don't kill it because people who buy seven strings are simply going to default to a 7421. If they discontinue that series because of low sales, it's because they allowed it to. The easiest way to bring about failure is to give up.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Edit: But, really, why is the Iron Label line doing as well as it's doing? Because Ibanez recognizes that players want a no fuss instrument with the features they need without any of the gimmicky flair that comes with a brand like, let's say, ESP. ESP likes to put abalone and ugly inlays on almost everything they produce, and about 90% of their guitars have EMGs in them. The Iron Label RGs have EMGs too, but that's just about the only place you'll find them when it comes to Ibanez. They use in-house pickups on their lower-budget models, and use Dimarzios on their Prestige guitars.

Also add the prices that Iron Labels sell for. You have decent specs, third party pickups, and despite what internet hype says, EMGs ARE indeed great pickups. With features like that at lower prices than the Prestige and Premiums, naturally that would appeal to the masses.

I mean, I just want that body style. I would just make my own if I had any skill in woodworking, or even knew how to build a guitar from scratch. I know that the RGD isn't the most popular model they have, but I hope that they don't kill it because people who buy seven strings are simply going to default to a 7421. If they discontinue that series because of low sales, it's because they allowed it to. The easiest way to bring about failure is to give up.

It's not like Ibanez have given up on the RGD line. They've actually tried to market them with artist doing all sorts of ads. Jesse from Emmure, Ihsahn, Brandon Jacobs (Mutiny Within) etc. Even now there's actually 5 RGD models available: The Uppercut, the 2127s, Trem and Hardtail, and if you count them, the Dino and Head sigs. It's still a fair way from discontinuation, and there's a fair amount of RGDs (current and discontinued) in the wild. And who knows what 2016 will bring.

This sort of argument sounds like the guys who cried about the RGAs. Same song and dance; they're great guitars, but they didn't sell as well as their flagships. Though internet hype has grown a bit since there seems to be a price increase on used RGA321s and 121s of late. I guess there's always the Jake Bowen sig... at least that has a great trem on it.

dlam_ivs

Reaction score
Also add the prices that Iron Labels sell for. You have decent specs, third party pickups, and despite what internet hype says, EMGs ARE indeed great pickups. With features like that at lower prices than the Prestige and Premiums, naturally that would appeal to the masses.

EMGs aren't bad, but they definitely aren't my first choice. I still use my Schecter Damien 6 with the passive EMGs, and they sound really good.

And who knows what 2016 will bring.

More RGDs, hopefully. :agreed:

')