Ibanez NAMM 2016

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Oh I guess it's that time of year, huh? Okay I'll throw my:2c: in.

540P II, is it "retro yet?" LOL!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
RGA 7 prestige. nothing more, nothing less. Need! GIEF!

laxu

Reaction score
no matter how "safe" a black color is for a "metal" guitar, players get tired of black guitars, specially on high end models. At least thats what I see the trend now.

Ibanez has been horrid in their color options for a long time, it's not even a trend. It's been going on from the early 1990s when neon colors took a back seat all over. At one point I counted they had something like 10+ variations of black. Hell, I've got an old black RG550 that I constantly think about selling because it's damn ugly but then I play it and it's a fine guitar.

Most Ibanez pickups I've tried have been pretty horrible so it's a good thing that they've gone to DiMarzio, Duncan and EMG for them so people don't have to swap them right away, adding cost. Even if you want to swap them it's a lot easier to sell a set of brand name ones.

I wish they would get over their obsession with black guitars but also offered all the J-Custom models in EU and USA as well. Right now in EU their site shows one model whereas the Japanese site has like a dozen, each with some color variations too.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Reissue the S540p2!

(it'll never happen :( )

I think i'd just like to see Ibanez offer more colors. Companies like Schecter and Arisitides are going full out on more colors and people are really biting.

I want one of these just based on the color and I don't even need another guitar!

km-7-fr-s-lambo-green-laying-full-highres.jpg

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
A nice Prestige for the lefties is waaaaaaaaay overdue! A 7 or 8 especially.... like the S5527. How about a lefty DCM100 or M80M? Xiphos, Iceman or Destroyer? Something/Anything.... pretty sure they could move a fair quantity of any of these in a left handed version.

NeoZeed

Reaction score
A nice Prestige for the lefties is waaaaaaaaay overdue! A 7 or 8 especially.... like the S5527. How about a lefty DCM100 or M80M? Xiphos, Iceman or Destroyer? Something/Anything.... pretty sure they could move a fair quantity of any of these in a left handed version.

It hurts so bad. Even the decent Premiums they make lefty don't find their way to the US. Prestige 7 would be a godsend. Even if it's *gasp* Black.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
^ they have really not been friendly to us south paws the last few years.
We did get the vai and satch models a few years back (limited).
That was a nice treat. But it's been pretty brutal since then.
Bring back the RG550!!

ovlott

Reaction score
The Adam Nitti is the more affordable model ANB306, and the Singlecut SR has a purpleheart fingerboard.

I've also spotted this:

12244811_719510858192259_2101547334682904731_o.jpg

Surprised I'm not hearing more talk about this. If Ibanez is releasing a multi-scale acoustic, then I think there is a good possibility they may have some other new multi-scale adaptations. Or atleast some new colours for the existing models.

Zeriton

Reaction score
Bring back the RG550!!

... They have... Haven't they? :idea:

RG655M is basically an RG550 isn't it? Just it has DiMarzio's in there. They could save a pretty penny taking them out so yeah I agree with you a bit there :p

It would be nice to just see the RG550 with Edge trem and Ibanez pickups. Pickups are whatever... you'd switch them anyway. That said, those Ibanez pickups were always pretty decent super distortion clones weren't they?

laxu

Reaction score
It would be nice to just see the RG550 with Edge trem and Ibanez pickups. Pickups are whatever... you'd switch them anyway. That said, those Ibanez pickups were always pretty decent super distortion clones weren't they?

Trust me, you don't want the Ibanez pickups. The V1/S1/V2 pickups I had in my 1989 RG550 were ..... Replaced them with Duncans years ago and apart from the color (black) I couldn't be happier with the guitar.

The RG655 is pretty much the RG550 without the block heel and with much better pickups. I don't see any reason why they still manufacture the Edge trem though, the Lo-Pro Edge and its successors are nicer.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Calling it now: Ibanez releases a Prestige multi-scale in black. Everyone complains and doesn't buy it. :lol:

For realsies though, I am interested in playing an Ibanez multiscale one day. Never played fanned frets before so I would really enjoy seeing what Ibanez makes of it.

theicon2125

Reaction score
Calling it now: Ibanez releases a Prestige multi-scale in black. Everyone complains and doesn't buy it. :lol:

For realsies though, I am interested in playing an Ibanez multiscale one day. Never played fanned frets before so I would really enjoy seeing what Ibanez makes of it.

When I first saw multiscale guitars I thought I'd never be interested in one but now I would definitely like to try them. The problem is, most have active pickups with soapbar mounting. And that in itself will keep me from buying them. Obviously I could get custom pickups for them but that would add a lot of cost to an already more expensive guitar.

Zeriton

Reaction score
Trust me, you don't want the Ibanez pickups. The V1/S1/V2 pickups I had in my 1989 RG550 were ..... Replaced them with Duncans years ago and apart from the color (black) I couldn't be happier with the guitar.

Oh yeah I know the pickups aren't great; but that's my point - most people will swap them out, so why put in expensive pickups that tie people into those pickups when they can put in whatever they want themselves (think Chapman Guitars ideology)

The RG655 is pretty much the RG550 without the block heel and with much better pickups. I don't see any reason why they still manufacture the Edge trem though, the Lo-Pro Edge and its successors are nicer.

I agree I kind of prefer the Lo-Pro Edge, having owned both, but I have to say I do prefer the Edge in some circumstances. E.G routing out a bit of the rear for an EVH D-Tuna and sticking a tremol-no on was a great idea :D Can't do that on the Lo-Pro

LordHar

Reaction score

Just saw these, the RG655L-CBM:

12360187_732043480272330_8036902682887871655_n.jpg

12375059_732043333605678_5527288273089108430_o.jpg

aesthyrian

Reaction score
I do prefer the Edge in some circumstances. E.G routing out a bit of the rear for an EVH D-Tuna and sticking a tremol-no on was a great idea :D Can't do that on the Lo-Pro

I can see why you wouldn't be able to install a D-tuna, but why wouldn't you be able to install a tremol-no on a LoPro?

')