Ibanez NAMM 2016

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jammer

Reaction score
Probably to be more like the original stuff, like the ones Steve Vai played way up high on with the huge clunky block. Also, I have small hands and fingers and have never had a problem with these heels.

Yeah, I get that but man, for me there is no comparison in playability. All my current Ibanez's have the AANJ and I hadn't played a square heel in years until a couple months ago and I was super disappointed. I moved up the neck and CLUNK...stopped dead in my tracks.

trem licking

Reaction score
the square heel is an outdated design for sure, funny what people's different preferences are. But as hehasthejizzhands mentioned, steve asked for it more than likely or whatever. i forget that this is his sig guitar haha

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, friend. My square heeled Ibby is the one I love most and I don't find it to get in the way at all. I had concerns about it when I first brought it home, but I've since adapted and switch between my Ibbies seamlessly

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that but man, for me there is no comparison in playability. All my current Ibanez's have the AANJ and I hadn't played a square heel in years until a couple months ago and I was super disappointed. I moved up the neck and CLUNK...stopped dead in my tracks.

Oh, totally, but it wouldn't be a 25th anniversary guitar if it had all modern specs. Then it'd just be a JEM7V7.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
.....i think those have square heels. This is getting out of hand.

Square heels and Ultralight carbon fiber whammy bars...:shrug:...The important thing is there are 3 MIJ swirl Universe models this year. :yesway: If I had the means I would buy one of each, so its probably a good thing I don't have the means. :coffee:

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
You guys must have some serious bitch hands if a square heel hinders your access, especially on an ibanez. If anything, it's the cutaways themselves that cause issue.

Square heels provide more contact area for better tone transfer also, if you believe in such things.

trem licking

Reaction score
you could adapt to play with a spikey star as a neck joint, but why would you want to? the aanj was a modification to make the joint better, and there are no tonal differences. some people still prefer it as evidenced here, but more material in the way is not ideal to most i would guess. I'm out on the neck join talk now.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As said 1000 times, if you got a problem, take it up with Vai.

It's his signature guitar, it's his needs. Don't bitch to us or Ibanez, bitch to Steve Vai who wanted to make this period spec correct.

Besides, you guys weren't even going to buy these things. They're extremely limited edition and would most likely be $6000+. They have plenty of other AANJ 7-strings, why are you guys so angry?

Jammer

Reaction score

It's his signature guitar, it's his needs. Don't bitch to us or Ibanez, bitch to Steve Vai who wanted to make this period spec correct.

Besides, you guys weren't even going to buy these things. They're extremely limited edition and would most likely be $6000+. They have plenty of other AANJ 7-strings, why are you guys so angry?
And you know Vai decided on the square heel how? Just because it's his sig? He almost exclusively plays AANJ Jem 7v's. Wonder why he isn't playing the superior tone square heels then. Oh wait...

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score

if the guitars had aanj's, they would be bitching about something else. them just mad they can't afford it.
I like the orange one.

A-Branger

Reaction score
if they are such an extremely limited edition, then why dimarzio is mass producing swirl straps to "go with the guitar", wouldnt be easy just to add one of these straps into the case candy as a justification for spending that much money?

speaking of, the dimarzio straps were that blue one and the yellow/green/red, to go with his anniversary guitar, I dont see that swirl patter here?

cip 123

Reaction score
And you know Vai decided on the square heel how? Just because it's his sig? He almost exclusively plays AANJ Jem 7v's. Wonder why he isn't playing the superior tone square heels then. Oh wait...

He plays the guitars he likes. EVO one of his most prized guitars sounds the best so he plays it. It's not because of the neck joint its the way it feels and resonates listen to him talk about it. He cares more about how the guitar resonates with him.

FYI He still records his 7 tracks with his Burnt UV...which has a square heel.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Did you miss the part where I said these were supposed to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Passion and Warfare, when the Universes still used block heels

if they are such an extremely limited edition, then why dimarzio is mass producing swirl straps to "go with the guitar", wouldnt be easy just to add one of these straps into the case candy as a justification for spending that much money?

Pretty sure I read somewheres where it said these will be limited to 77 guitars each.

FYI He still records his 7 tracks with his Burnt UV...which has a square heel.

Yup, and still plays live with it.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Pretty sure I read somewheres where it said these will be limited to 77 guitars each.
/QUOTE]

yeah I read it too, its also on the poster next to the warfare guitar, jsut making fun of it

also weird as Vai's limited editions tend to be 1 year productions (most of them)

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
S621QM_SBF_1P_01.png

I really like this!

')