Ibanez NAMM 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Genesis 7620 sounds like a fucking winner to me. I want one in plain fucking black with black hardware and one in grey nickel with cosmo hardware.

Would be even more awesomer with that big fat bubinga skunk stripe down the middle of the neck.

It would be nice but isn't an rg752 basically the same thing upgraded with a 5pc neck, volute, 68mm instead of 66mm neck pocket and top mount nut and differnt pickups? Oh yeah, and really not as appealing paint jobs for us plain people. I'd like to see the rg752 in better colors with no inlays. Not sure if the 68mm is nicer than 66mm or not and not sure if the neck profiles are differnt. The older rg's al had either the flat neck with fat shoulder or the nicer feeling neck. Not sure on how these new one's feel. A satin neck would be better too, and some EMG's or other soapbar type pickups. I guess they are pretty different. : )
What I really want to see is an rg7-ct reissue with a basswood body and soapbar's. EMG's more than anything from Ibanez. I'd just keep buying those.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I litterally have that guitar, except it's plain black. And why genesis 7620? Isn't the 752 that guitar?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
None of those are in production though. If you want a 752 you can choose maple fretboards, veneers, hardtails, etc. Nothing resembling a 7620. So a Genesis 7620 still sounds good to me.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
None of those are in production though. If you want a 752 you can choose maple fretboards, veneers, hardtails, etc. Nothing resembling a 7620. So a Genesis 7620 still sounds good to me.

Well, they discontinued the regular RG752 because they didn't move, why bring back something that's identical to just about everyone who isn't a total Ibanez nerd?

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
So... I say a 7620 reissue would be cool. People say they have the 752 that is basically a 7620 reissue. I point out that none of the current 752s resemble a 7620. So you say they quit making the original 752s because they didn't sell. So aren't we back to square one? Either one is fine for me. I would love a Genesis 7620 or a 752 with lo pro and rosewood in black or grey nickel or something 7620ish.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... I say a 7620 reissue would be cool. People say they have the 752 that is basically a 7620 reissue. I point out that none of the current 752s resemble a 7620. So you say they quit making the original 752s because they didn't sell. So aren't we back to square one? Either one is fine for me. I would love a Genesis 7620 or a 752 with lo pro and rosewood in black or grey nickel or something 7620ish.

Just being real. It's not likely to happen. :shrug:

If you really want an RG7 in black with rosewood board and Lo-Pro, buy one. There are still plenty out there, and I'm fairly confident you could even find a new one that hasn't sold.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Not that I have anything against rosewood but there are many better looking options these days imo. (Can't comment on sound since I don't know much about tonewood)
I own a 7620 and love it but I'd take that guitar with an ebony or maple fb over a rosewood anyday.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Not that I have anything against rosewood but there are many better looking options these days imo. (Can't comment on sound since I don't know much about tonewood)
I own a 7620 and love it but I'd take that guitar with an ebony or maple fb over a rosewood anyday.
They still make the 752 with a lo pro and maple fretboard in desert yellow.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score

Man when you look back at the ~20 years since the 7620 came out its insane to see someone complaining that a current similar model is only available with a maple fretboard and crazy colors. When the 7620 came out EVERYONE was complaining that you couldn't get one with a maple fretboard in a color other than black or red.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
7 strings still are somewhat niche. Ibanez is doing well by just tweaking its designs every year (different fretboard and/or different color).

If the 752MDY isn't your thing, there surely will be something new next year, and they made different stuff last year and the year before.

They couldn't possibly offer a ton of variations all at once, but I think they're doing a good job offering something for everyone over time.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Man when you look back at the ~20 years since the 7620 came out its insane to see someone complaining that a current similar model is only available with a maple fretboard and crazy colors. When the 7620 came out EVERYONE was complaining that you couldn't get one with a maple fretboard in a color other than black or red.

Yeah, being a guitar manufacturer sounds like a blast :wallbash:

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I think Ibanez have actually raised the bar with their 7 string offerings as of late. I think the issue is that most people are expecting THEIR specs to be the ones on the spec sheet. You'll only ever truly get that by going custom.

I will say though, despite saying that I have modded the shit out of all 3 of my RGRs to be single pickup, 1 volume with a matte/satin finish pickguard because that was the look I wanted haha.

BTS

BTS
Reaction score
FWIW, I think Ibanez have actually raised the bar with their 7 string offerings as of late. I think the issue is that most people are expecting THEIR specs to be the ones on the spec sheet. You'll only ever truly get that by going custom.
I will say though, despite saying that I have modded the shit out of all 3 of my RGRs to be single pickup, 1 volume with a matte/satin finish pickguard because that was the look I wanted haha.

Pics? Love to see how they came out...been tempted to do something similar with mine

Merrekof

Reaction score

Haha, I've seen your threads, you know what I'm talking about! :D
I've been drooling over your NGD some time ago..

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I still think either a flat top rg752 with a blank board or a higher end 7 string RGA would be nice. Or what would be really cool is if Ibanez did that thing Gbson just did with licencing out their shapes. I want to see a company like Warmoth start making licenced Ibby necks and bodies to custom spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')