Ibanez NAMM 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Damn near a decade and I still don't dig the RGD.
Any reason in particular? It’s not necessarily my favorite to look at - and that lower horn is really tiny - but I find it very comfortable overall.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any reason in particular? It’s not necessarily my favorite to look at - and that lower horn is really tiny - but I find it very comfortable overall.

I just don't jive with the shape, and I don't really find it more comfortable.

I had both an RGD2127Z and RGD3127 and just never played them much. No bonding.

Reactions: BTS

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I just don't jive with the shape, and I don't really find it more comfortable.

At this point it’s the most “radical” shape in my small collection, and this old man’s good with that. :)

Hard to beat a solid RG or even RGA though...

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I see a rainbowy Jcustom, a gold and some tealish AZ's and a left-handed RGA Prestige.

kidding on the RGA.

Reactions: BTS

mitou

Reaction score
Those are all Thomann's guitars so some of them might be EU only. The multi-color J.Custom has been on sale for a while.

The RG5320CSW is intriguing. The orange RGR is cool too, but I need a trem.

ixlramp

Reaction score
anything longer than 34" on the higher strings sounds really choked to me. I play 34" basses exclusively today (4-6 strings, standard tuned & drop-A,) because the slight benefit gained on the B going to 35" is drastically outweighed by how choked the D-C strings sound any longer than 34".
By 'choked' i assume you mean overtensioned? So for bass guitars with scales > 34" you just reduce the gauges of the higher strings to compensate and return to a desired tension. So it seems a gauge issue, not a scale issue.
The idea of longer scale is to allow reducing gauges while maintaining tension, which improves the B because it is more flexible due to being thinner, but also more flexible due to being longer, a double advantage which is a very significant benefit.
I often see bassists complaining about the high strings on longer scales, but oddly they often do not think of reducing the gauges.

Unfortunately bass guitar marketing is partly to blame, it usually promotes longer scales as being for 'tightening up the B', that is, using the same set of gauges, this is the wrong approach. Smaller gauges should be used for most strings to maintain the desired tension, then if the B was undertensioned keep the same gauge for that, or if the B tension was ok then reduce its gauge.
The marketing is, as is common, dumbed-down and popularist for commercial interest, and is focussing on the common complaint of undertensioned Bs, which is actually a gauge issue.

dirtool

Reaction score
661010_main_l_201912251137.jpg

I still don't see a point for the richlite top

7ibby001

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
RGDR 7 string prestige with cooked basswood body, anything other than a flamed maple top, cooked maple neck, ebony fretboard with offset dot inlays and luminlay side dots.

And while I'm dreaming, a 5 way blade switch, fishman fluence moderns and rechargeable battery pack with usb c charging (lul now that's a dream, but cmon it's 2020), bypassable tone knob, push pull volume pot for split coils, inverted output jack, dual design strap locks, hipshot open gear locking tuners, titanium truss rod with the adjustment at the base of the neck, graphtech nut, in a color other than black, preferably some nebula blue because dj0nt.

So Misha's Ibanez sig :^)

Stainless steel frets, cooked neck and cooked basswood body for their entry level prestiges would honestly be enough for me though. An evertune option, true temperament option, or fanned frets but 26.5-25.5" for a subtle fan would be sick. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')